Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #2,776 of 6,432
But the purse could come back as vintage! 

Quote:
Well with a 6 grand purse, it could look horribly out if fashion in 3 months. But with a 6 grand pair of headphones, there's a good chance they'll still sound good 30 years from now. But it all comes down to priorities and what one values most.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #2,777 of 6,432
Haha "could". I know that something like the stax sr009 will sound good. (And probably have better resale value also.)

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,778 of 6,432

Quote:
I think it's simply because those people worry about different things...They think headphones are headphones and music is music. Bottom line. They haven't taken to time to realize there are alternatives to their usual iBuds, etc out there...and they don't care.

Just like most of Head-fi is probably okay with just a tshirt and jeans. Everyone's got different priorities. We think their purchases are ridiculous. 6 grand for a purse? Ridiculous. 6 grand for headphones? Solid investment. Obviously they feel the opposite.  

Six thousand for a purse?!
eek.gif
  I'm sorry, but that is the very definition of excessive.  For that much one could build an end-game headphone rig with still some cash to spare.

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #2,779 of 6,432
I have never truly gotten the opportunity because I generally use IEMs, and people don't like to share IEMs for sanitary reasons. However, that said, most people bob their head and just comment on the fact that they sound really good. One of my friends always listened to iPod headphones or Dollar Store ones, but she got some Beats earbuds and she was like "oh my God, these are so good!" And I just subtly mentioned that she might want to hear my UM3Xs or my SE530s..

Actually, one of my friends listened only to a 320kbps MP3 on my iPhone once through my Shure SE530s, and said "Wow, these are such amazing headphones. How much were they?" When I responded, she just went, "Oh..." Lol. She owned the $100 Apple ones.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #2,780 of 6,432

Quote:

Six thousand for a purse?!
eek.gif
  I'm sorry, but that is the very definition of excessive.  For that much one could build an end-game headphone rig with still some cash to spare.

Absolutely true ~ unless you happen to be a STAX nut 
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #2,781 of 6,432
I lent a uDAC I got for cheap to a friend overnight - I got it as an educational tool anyway, so it was serving its purpose!

The next day, I asked him how it was and he said, "Man, it's like the sound is so much better! Like the sound is all over the place, but in a good way, and everything sounds right!"

And this was still without a good pair of headphones. I can't wait to let him try a good pair sometime.

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #2,783 of 6,432

Quote:
6 grand for a purse? Ridiculous. 6 grand for headphones? Solid investment. 

Something about this statement really makes the madness hit home.

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #2,784 of 6,432

Quote:

Agreed. Six thousand dollars on anything save a car and a house is practically insane for almost everyone. But heck, who am I to judge what you spend your money on. 
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #2,785 of 6,432
Kinda what I was going for. 
wink.gif
 (I'm looking at you 009)

EDIT: I loathe cars and never plan to own one unless I absolutely have to. Not for some hippy reason either (lol), but because they're one of the biggest money pits out there. 

A car means you have to have insurance, pay for gas, maintain it, sit at the DMV, etc. Basically just dump money into it just so you can get to work to make the money to dump into it. 

They are necessary for some people, but if you can...they're good to avoid. I work 2 jobs and have no car. Leaves me money for things I actually like. Oh, and headphone gear is totally more reliable than cars. Break down less often, cost less (in the long run), give you more enjoyment than a car...and you don't stare death in the face every time you put them on. Heck...it's got better resale value, too. 

tl;dr rant - Cars suck.

Quote:
disastermouse said:

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2,786 of 6,432
wow, i haven't seen a more biased comparison, especially that part with the enjoyability (even though, yes, this is an audiophile website)... coming from someone who doesn't own a car! just like quality headphones, a quality car won't break down unless you have a lemon... cars are vastly more complicated and useful too, just to begin to state the obvious!

i do agree about that part with the money pit... insurance, gas, license plate registration fees, driver's license fees, on top of living in one of the most speed-trapped cities in north america as well.  pretty sure no one has to deal with that with headphones.  i'm pretty sure i can't sit on my headphones for a few hours and end up somewhere else in the country!  cars are, in today's society, the ultimate in utility and enjoyment combined.  i'm glad i live in canada where car ownership is easily attainable, practical and commonplace (if i was living in a denser city, public transit would be much more practical).  need i mention the realm of car audio as well?

but alas, with car hobbyists and headphone hobbyists alike, comes the terror of wallet genocide - upgraditis.  anything can be a money suck, really.  depends on the person.

and now, the part of my post that corresponds to the OP, a friend of mine tried out my quads (somehow it actually fit his ear, and he's had experience with in-ears so he knows what a seal sound s like), connected to my e10.  "no wonder these things cost 600 bucks", he said.

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,787 of 6,432
Well now, one must really have enough space to fully appreciate a car.
wink.gif
 Disclaimer: I'm the same way in that I don't currently have a car and I don't plan on getting one soon. However, there are certain cars that are made to be enjoyed (pushed hard) just as their are certain sound emitting devices that are meant to be "listened hard to"
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

A Prius is slow and boring compared to an F40, just as our cell phones' speakers sound like piss compared to an SR-009. You should try and get a ride at your local track, you just might see yourself mentioned in a thread on "Reactions to Absurdly Fast Cars!"
cool.gif

Ah, I just noticed:

Quote:
...and you don't stare death in the face every time you put them on.

Don't try and get a ride at your local track if this is a concern. I probably lost about a year of my life in a single lap! That's where the fun is, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #2,788 of 6,432
Don't own one now, have owned one before. :D

Almost everyone I know has had something break on their car in the last 4 months. 

Quote:
wow, i haven't seen a more biased comparison, especially that part with the enjoyability (even though, yes, this is an audiophile website)... coming from someone who doesn't own a car! just like quality headphones, a quality car won't break down unless you have a lemon... cars are vastly more complicated and useful too, just to begin to state the obvious!

i do agree about that part with the money pit... insurance, gas, license plate registration fees, driver's license fees, on top of living in one of the most speed-trapped cities in north america as well.  pretty sure no one has to deal with that with headphones.  i'm pretty sure i can't sit on my headphones for a few hours and end up somewhere else in the country!  cars are, in today's society, the ultimate in utility and enjoyment combined.  i'm glad i live in canada where car ownership is easily attainable, practical and commonplace (if i was living in a denser city, public transit would be much more practical).  need i mention the realm of car audio as well?

but alas, with car hobbyists and headphone hobbyists alike, comes the terror of wallet genocide - upgraditis.  anything can be a money suck, really.  depends on the person.

and now, the part of my post that corresponds to the OP, a friend of mine tried out my quads (somehow it actually fit his ear, and he's had experience with in-ears so he knows what a seal sound s like), connected to my e10.  "no wonder these things cost 600 bucks", he said.

@dibbler67

Don't get me wrong. Cars can be fun...and I feel safer on a track than in traffic. At least on a track everyone is supposed to be driving like idiots (well, not really, but at track days that's just how it goes sometimes). 

Oh, and I notice you're in College Station...
(See signature for details) :wink: 

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2,789 of 6,432
Time for that well trodden mechanical analogy of going ffast that applies to audio,
namely the difference between a Hi Fi guy and a headphone enthusiast.

The Hi Fi guy is dedicated to 4 wheels, he likes to spend big, massive amounts
actually on acquiring the Ferrari equivalent of a stereo that can also be shared
on full song with a significant other or two.

The headphone guy is man loyal to 2 wheels, he achieves similar performance
levels while spending a lot less, unfortunately, his Ducati 996 is a ticket to
ride for one only 
wink_face.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #2,790 of 6,432
Well, a good DAC (or source in general) can be incorporated into any system. You could have both, if you've got the scratch. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Time for that well trodden mechanical analogy of going ffast that applies to audio,
namely the difference between a Hi Fi guy and a headphone enthusiast.

The Hi Fi guy is dedicated to 4 wheels, he likes to spend big, massive amounts
actually on acquiring the Ferrari equivalent of a stereo that can also be shared
on full song with a significant other or two.

The headphone guy is man loyal to 2 wheels, he achieves similar performance
levels while spending a lot less, unfortunately, his Ducati 996 is a ticket to
ride for one only 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back