Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 22, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #2,761 of 6,432

Quote:
i think most peoples' perception of bass isn't punchy and impacting like the Pro 900s', but they think of bass as something big, boomy and muffled

my friend (who chose skullcrushers even when i told him that they're a ripoff) noted that i like the bass on my 'phones to be very natural rather than artificial, which he prefers. sort of the difference between the bass sounding tight like a drum beat and the boomier bass that 'phones like the Skullcandies have. he also listens to dubstep though, which is probably half of the reason for that

your ex-Friend right?

I jest.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #2,762 of 6,432

Quote:
Everyone who comes to my home except maybe the pizza guy gets to listen to my SR009. I don't tell them about the price or anything and spoil them with it. They are in big trouble now.

You should never listen to any headphones that you can't afford.

Cause if you do, everything else will sound like ***** and you are ****** because you can't buy them. :p

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #2,763 of 6,432
^ +1
I'm having trouble listening to my older cans since moving up to the $350 mark. It just isn't the same with my M50's anymore.

I just got a Pro900 today and since I don't really pass for an audiophile yet, my reaction was something along the lines of...

for lack of describability. ^_^

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2,765 of 6,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ +1I'm having trouble listening to my older cans since moving up to the $350 mark. It just isn't the same with my M50's anymore.

hah, i actually moved up to the Pro 900s after i was thoroughly dissatisfied with my M50s

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #2,766 of 6,432
I'm running into this problem. My headphones are outmatched by my IEMs and I find myself wanting to upgrade; I just have to narrow it down some. Thought I had it down, but perhaps not [I like the Beyerdynamic DT880/250 ohm, Sennheiser HD 598, Ultrasone Pro 900, Denon D2000, and more recently the Pioneer HDJ-2000].

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #2,767 of 6,432
My girlfriend had a pretty great reaction actually. She's a basshead and dubstep lover, so I played some high quality dubstep for her on my 900 pros. She was quiet the entire time, then took them off and stared at me. When I asked her how were they, she responded "Eargasm". Just bought her a pair of of dt770s and she's having the time of her life.

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,768 of 6,432
My girlfriend had a pretty great reaction actually. She's a basshead and dubstep lover, so I played some high quality dubstep for her on my 900 pros. She was quiet the entire time, then took them off and stared at me. When I asked her how were they, she responded "Eargasm". Just bought her a pair of of dt770s and she's having the time of her life.

What songs did you play?

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #2,771 of 6,432
I used to hate this song but it's grown on me and I listen to it pretty often. Strange how that happens sometimes.

EDIT: Now you need to pre-order and get her a ZO2 for christmas. It takes the bass to a completely different level.
Quote:
I don't exactly recall but I believe I played:

12th Planet - Bass Ships
Doctor P - Sweet Shop
Sub Focus - Alpha Centauri
Figure - Red Raider/Super Mega Death Ray
Ajapai - Brain

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #2,772 of 6,432
a lot of people spend so much time looking at exotic cars they probably wont be able to buy in their lifetime, or those ultra expensive fashion stuff. So why do people think that our love of music and headphones makes no sense? 
wink_face.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #2,773 of 6,432
I think it's simply because those people worry about different things...They think headphones are headphones and music is music. Bottom line. They haven't taken to time to realize there are alternatives to their usual iBuds, etc out there...and they don't care.

Just like most of Head-fi is probably okay with just a tshirt and jeans. Everyone's got different priorities. We think their purchases are ridiculous. 6 grand for a purse? Ridiculous. 6 grand for headphones? Solid investment. Obviously they feel the opposite. 

Quote:
a lot of people spend so much time looking at exotic cars they probably wont be able to buy in their lifetime, or those ultra expensive fashion stuff. So why do people think that our love of music and headphones makes no sense? 
wink_face.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #2,774 of 6,432
Our spendings on headphones and related rigs are just peanuts in the high-end audio (speaker) world. I mean look at my signature block - I dare not say it is high end but I think people will agree the stuff that I have are pretty decent as far as headphones are concerned (well maybe except the ED10 :p ). And I know a friend who owns a pair of speaker cables which is twice as expensive as all the stuff added up in my signature block (except the Esoteric K-01). Those who went to RMAF this year may have a taste of that as well since the two shows are put together.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #2,775 of 6,432
Well with a 6 grand purse, it could look horribly out if fashion in 3 months. But with a 6 grand pair of headphones, there's a good chance they'll still sound good 30 years from now. But it all comes down to priorities and what one values most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back