Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Sep 25, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #2,626 of 6,432
I don't let friends try my W4 because I use the Comply tips. 
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #2,629 of 6,432
I just love it when people majoring in something like 'music' or 'audio engineering' look at me like I'm insane when they learn the price. You'd think they'd be the only ones that would understand.

Quote:
I've let my friends try my HD-650s, and they've pretty much all loved the sound (most of them are music majors), although they all get a "you're crazy" look when I tell them how much I've spent ha ha.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #2,630 of 6,432
As a piano major myself, it allows me to look back on headphones in perspective and see my own hypocrisy. If I had the money, I'm sure I would quickly spend about $100k on a world class German piano, yet I think that I would feel much more guilty about spending more than $1k on audio gear (despite the fact that I already own an instrument that is far more expensive than an SR-009 and my car combined). Now if I was a sound engineer...

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2,631 of 6,432

Quote:
On Friday during my lunch break at work I was talking to one of the cashiers about headphones. She knows I like audio and asked what headphones I have. I went through the list of them and she was like "I've never heard of those before, which is the best?". I said the T1 was and when she asked how much they go for I told her about $1,300 and she spat out all her soda and started ranting about the price. I told her if she didn't want to know how expensive my stuff if she should not have asked. I thin asked if she has any good headphones and to my surprise the ibuds on her neck were the best she owns and only plans to own. >_<

On another note I let another co worker try out my HD600's out of his ipod and he was blown away, until he heard the price. Once he heard the price he slowly handed them back to me. He couldn't understand how I could spend $200 on a pair of headphones. Then I told him about my T1 and he thought I was insane. Aren't we all a bit insane in this hobby?

No, you can't put a price on sonic bliss if you are able to achieve it :D

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #2,632 of 6,432

Quote:
No, you can't put a price on sonic bliss if you are able to achieve it :D

Yes you can. I won't ever go past $500.

Edit: Now for speakers I could see myself going up to $3000

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #2,634 of 6,432
Recently got two of my course mates to listen to my SR80i. One girl from the Basque country was really astonished and said that "there is whole different world inside." The guy from Estonia who also happens to be my roommate at first he said that they sound "nice," so that obviously drove me mad and I couldn't help myself and got him to listen one more time to a binaural recording. This time they were "great." But I could see in his eyes that there was more than that. Or that's what I wanted to see...

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,635 of 6,432
I've brought a couple people over to listen to my SR325is. None of them had ever heard so much music at once, haha. I've fought fire with fire with my M-Audio Q 40s, too. I took those to class with my laptop and uDAC-2, played a few bassy songs and watched the magic happen
basshead.gif
. At least one "victim" has since told me he can't bear to listen to his (brand new) Beats Studios anymore. He wanted to buy some Q 40s, but I warned that they really need an amp if he wants to get the kind of bass out of them that he just heard. I directed him here to Head-Fi to check out his options.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #2,636 of 6,432
In high school I had some Grado HF-1s and a nicely tuned Beresford DAC/amp. Amazing sound, to my ears... but my friends couldn't have been less impressed. All four avid metalheads, they offered no praise for my awesome setup! Since then, I've stopped foisting my sound stuff on people who don't express interest.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2,637 of 6,432
A girl who sat in front of me in math last semester was asking about my Shure SRH840s, her reaction at first was "they're so big" and "god they're ugly" but I let her listen to them and her reaction changed to "dude i'm never talking **** about those again, they're bomb" everyone else just comments on the clarity and the bass lol. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2,638 of 6,432

Quote:
A girl who sat in front of me in math last semester was asking about my Shure SRH840s, her reaction at first was "they're so big" and "god they're ugly" but I let her listen to them and her reaction changed to "dude i'm never talking **** about those again, they're bomb" everyone else just comments on the clarity and the bass lol. 

My friend liked them but he thought they had to much bass
eek.gif

Don't know why. Bassy track perhaps.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #2,639 of 6,432

Quote:
My friend liked them but he thought they had to much bass
eek.gif

Don't know why. Bassy track perhaps.

Possibly, I mean she was listening to Ice by Lights ( I know but she is a goddess and we all have our vices) and that tends to get a little bassy, like most techno, but yes the 840s although bassy are a very controlled bass.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #2,640 of 6,432
One of my friends has shown a interest in my se215's, he wants to try them out when i get them back from shure.
what do you guys think about sharing iem's? kinda turns me off a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back