Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #2,598 of 6,432

Quote:
 And so on. Now I have roughly 15 pairs of IEM's and I'm a regular site author for Headfonics (linky in my sig) and a guest writer for Comply Tips. So just review your stuff and if people like you, you'll eventually get more stuff. Just don't look a gift horse in a mouth and you'll be fine. Oh, and don't be too much of a shill. 

Austin has his own website that I can assume reaches a wide audience. I'm kinda...not really annoyed, but jealous that a 13 year old kid gets stuff like a CLAS and the Hifiman line to review, but eh, that's how things work. Just be patient. You're only 15. That's when I started reviewing. I turn 17 next month, and things have been going up hill from here. 
biggrin.gif

Besides Head-Fi and couple other 'phile sites, I visit headfonics regularly, keep up the good job 
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2,599 of 6,432

Quote:
Public eye's assumption: Clear cables looped over ear, routed to the back of your neck, under shirt = hearing aids
Wat
The
____

lol

Typical reaction for those with customs, lol I even had a old lady once on the train ask me why I was wearing hearing aids (refering to my ES5) for a young fella, I pulled them out and smiled at her, she just laughed. 
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #2,600 of 6,432
Quote:
Typical reaction for those with customs, lol I even had a old lady once on the train ask me why I was wearing hearing aids (refering to my ES5) for a young fella, I pulled them out and smiled at her, she just laughed. 
wink.gif

Hey mate can I ask where you got your ES5s from? I had a look at buying them from a retailer here but it seemed too expensive in comparison to the US prices so I passed. Just wondering if I missed anything.

Back to addressing the thread discussion. What colours are your customs for them to be thought of as hearing aids? Surely only flesh colours could resemble one....?

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #2,601 of 6,432

Quote:
Hey mate can I ask where you got your ES5s from? I had a look at buying them from a retailer here but it seemed too expensive in comparison to the US prices so I passed. Just wondering if I missed anything.

http://www.earzone.com.au/index.php/products/custom-fit-iem/westone/westone-es2-40.html

Got mine for a bit cheaper then the advertised. By bit cheaper I'm talking $60 off that amount.

If you want more details I can pm you on a list of retailers but the customs here will cost you an arm or a leg compared to the US prices, which in the end aren't very huge differences in the cost price.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #2,602 of 6,432

Quote:
Besides Head-Fi and couple other 'phile sites, I visit headfonics regularly, keep up the good job 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
 Thanks a lot! 

I'm going to get my friend, whom I gave a pair of CC51's to, to try the RE272's I have on loan. Wondering if he'll notice the difference immediately.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #2,603 of 6,432
Quote:
http://www.earzone.com.au/index.php/products/custom-fit-iem/westone/westone-es2-40.html
Got mine for a bit cheaper then the advertised. By bit cheaper I'm talking $60 off that amount.[...]

Jesus. I found these guys and contacted them about getting a better price but I never heard from them so I gave up. No intended offense, but I can not believe you paid that premium to get them here! Anyhow, what colour did you get? I am still trying to work out how someone could think they were hearing aids.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #2,604 of 6,432

Quote:
Jesus. I found these guys and contacted them about getting a better price but I never heard from them so I gave up. No intended offense, but I can not believe you paid that premium to get them here! Anyhow, what colour did you get? I am still trying to work out how someone could think they were hearing aids.
rolleyes.gif

No offense taken, most people didn't believe me I paid that amount for them (like when I first saw others who owned one when I didn't) until I showed it to them which they thought I was whacked and completely out of my mind lol (like the first I got the UE18's/remoulded, p.s I spend a lot on things I take interest in). Going to have to start taking some pictures of my portable rigs now once I get time. My one is acrylic blue (sky blue), I don't fancy black which is what I wanted to get, because it looks crap when you wear it (again my opinion).

With my ES5 and make sure you check yours if you do get it, the canal bit with the dual bore holes bit where it goes into your ear had a crack in it, it might be because the canal section inside my ear is quite narrow from the impressions taken or whatever, had mine sent off on the 13th for it to be recast and fixed if you get what I'm saying. It might be related to the inside of ears but just a heads up because you never know.

If customs are your first, then I recommend not spending too much and understand the sound that you'll be getting from a particular model, by researching on that custom. Say for instance start on the 1964 series ($350-500 for triple and quad drivers) and from Jokers impressions on them and some others, they sound very good and give some other big brands (Ultimate Ears, Jerry Harvey's and Westone) series run for there money.

If you have the cash and willing to spend big on something you really want, by all means be my guest, but remember you pay a premium for something that is a premium item them self.

EDIT: Color is Ice Blue. (Acrylic Blue, Sky Blue alike)

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #2,605 of 6,432
I just had my first noteworthy reaction.

One of my friends (who's been dissin' all my headphones without listening/only listening a very little amount of time) just tested my TMA-1's driven only by my Cowon S9

His reaction was saying, very loudly "**** THAT'S CLEAR" and he's now hyping them.
A couple of hours later i got him to order a pair of Creative Aurvana Live!

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #2,606 of 6,432
You guys should let them know there are cheap alternatives to $1000 cans that can get you close. That's mostly what i tell people left and right with ibuds, you will just scare them away with the expensive stuff.
bigsmile_face.gif
I'm getting used to people saying "what's that!?" When walking around with a CMoy, i just say "it makes my headphones sound better" "oh cool!"

Quote:
Some classmate I know tried to troll me. He said, "You spend more time looking at headphones than hearing them. What kind of hobby is this lololol,"

This genius, is a 15 year-old car enthusiast.

Bingo! Exactly why i shifted to electronics n such, car magazines and talking about cars at school, cars we will probably never drive or have the money to afford.....In the end it was about racing a Toyota Mr-2, 240sx and Honda Civics lol!

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #2,608 of 6,432
My roommate listens to music even more than I do, literally constantly. As of late he's been borrowing my Koss Dj100's.

It helps when you can tell someone your headphones cost $80 and not $800.

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #2,609 of 6,432
And what did he think? Did he jump up and down with excitement after hearing how good they sound? Did his head explode?
I tried to get my mom to listen to better headphone, but she always complains their "too big".

Right now she uses the Maxell DHP-II and Bose AE1 (which is decent, yes really).

Quote:
My roommate listens to music even more than I do, literally constantly. As of late he's been borrowing my Koss Dj100's.

It helps when you can tell someone your headphones cost $80 and not $800.

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2,610 of 6,432
My father helped me move a few things to my new place and tried my HD 598. I enjoyed his reaction.

'Wait.' He paused and took them off. 'Oh I thought you had the speakers on. **** these sound good. How much were they?' I paid 170. 'Jeez, your Denons weren't much better than these and they were 700.'

Gotta say I agree. This being the reason I now think the HD 598 at their price point are the best headphones ever. Dad's an old Hi-fi guy so he isn't as shocked by price as most. Thank god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back