Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jul 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #2,506 of 6,432

Quote:
After being around here just for a few days it's quite funny to see a headphoner refer to themselves as an audiophile.

I haven't seen a post from an audiophile in here yet.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #2,507 of 6,432

Quote:
After being around here just for a few days it's quite funny to see a headphoner refer to themselves as an audiophile.

I haven't seen a post from an audiophile in here yet.

Cool story bro. Well from the word (Audio--I hear and Philos--loving) I'd hope a lot of us love our music.

And jeez Austin how can you afford an Ed.8? You're 2 years younger than I am! (Meaning you can't have a job right? Around here you need to be 16ish to get a decent paying part time job.) I'm pretty jealous. I've been saving up for a W11JPN for the better part of 3 years...

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #2,508 of 6,432

Man, you started out on a great foot if the 325i, little dot 1+, udac is your first set up. I'm extremely jealous. That's probably my final rig (until I reach actual adulthood aka a decent paying job), the udac---little dot1+ set up.

i am in a pretty similar case, started to be a headphone lover 2 months ago when i broke my 4 year old sony mdr xb300.

I was looking for a good full size headphone for an upgrade with like 200$ as a top budget. One of my friend introduced me to the grado sr80 he had, and i was amazed by the sound stage, even with only half an hour of so of listenning.

two weeks later i had my grado sr 325 goldies with a Fiio E7 amp, and everything sounds just more like it should. rediscovering my whole discography.
i needed to share this joy with my friends, made them listenned to some binaural recordings with my portable setup, and they were like, What IS HAPPENING TO ME. ahahah priceless :D

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #2,509 of 6,432
Well, I maintain a website that gets a good amount of traffic, so about 9/10 of my products are review samples. 
biggrin.gif
 I'm just glad I found Head Fi at age 15. It might be a curse, but I have learned, it's not always about the rig or the fancy cables or what source you have, as long as it sounds good to you and you only, that's all that matters right.

Anyway, back on topic, I just read Currawong's review on the Ed. 8....may hold off....

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #2,510 of 6,432

Quote:
Well, I maintain a website that gets a good amount of traffic, so about 9/10 of my products are review samples. 
biggrin.gif
 I'm just glad I found Head Fi at age 15. It might be a curse, but I have learned, it's not always about the rig or the fancy cables or what source you have, as long as it sounds good to you and you only, that's all that matters right.

Anyway, back on topic, I just read Currawong's review on the Ed. 8....may hold off....

Oh right I totally forgot that generates money. Pretty impressive for a...freshman.
tongue.gif

And go to the next meet you can, because it's impossible to know what something sounds like to your tastes just by reading about it in my experience. I thought I'd hate half the headphones I have since a majority of them are neutral, but I like most of them about the same amount.

My mom is starting to get interested in this hobby. Awesome.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #2,511 of 6,432
biggrin.gif

lol you'll be missing out.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2,512 of 6,432
Not according to Currawong. He knows his stuff pretty good, I think.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #2,513 of 6,432
Not according to Currawong. He knows his stuff pretty good, I think.

it's the worst review i've ever seen and it's completely false. i don't know what possessed him to post such garbage, but i urge you to disregard it or at least to read some other reviews. i can vouch that the Ed. 8 is a magnificent headphone in all aspects.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2,514 of 6,432
Erm...fomoz, you could have worded that nicer.

I fully respect Currawong's opinions, but it just so happens that I like a lot of the things he he's disliked (AT woodies, Sony Z1000 for example) so the only way you'll know if you like something is by trying it. Everyone has different expectations of what they want something to sound like.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #2,515 of 6,432
Erm...fomoz, you could have worded that nicer.

I fully respect Currawong's opinions, but it just so happens that I like a lot of the things he he's disliked (AT woodies, Sony Z1000 for example) so the only way you'll know if you like something is by trying it. Everyone has different expectations of what they want something to sound like.

i could, but i didn't. it just drives me nuts that someone has the guts to post something this deplorable and actually manage to steer people away from a world-class product.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #2,516 of 6,432
I'm going to visit ALO Audio in Portland sometime soon and try some of the top tiered ones out. ALO Audio is literally 40 minutes from me.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #2,517 of 6,432

Quote:
i could, but i didn't. it just drives me nuts that someone has the guts to post something this deplorable and actually manage to steer people away from a world-class product.

I'd like to see your review of it please. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2,519 of 6,432

Quote:
 a world-class product.

That's like, you opinion man.

I jest, but from everything I've heard from Ultrasones (albeit, only the lower level ones), they aren't the last word in realism or intimacy, which is probably what Currawong is looking for, seeing as he preferred the ESW's. I'm sure the Ed. 8 sound absolutely brilliant, but he didn't like it and decided to tell people he didn't like it. Free speech?

But yeah don't just be swayed by only one or two negative reviews. If I listened to that one guy that hated the DT48, I wouldn't have bothered to get a pair, which would have been a shame because they're my current favorite headphone.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #2,520 of 6,432
That's like, you opinion man.

I jest, but from everything I've heard from Ultrasones (albeit, only the lower level ones), they aren't the last word in realism or intimacy, which is probably what Currawong is looking for, seeing as he preferred the ESW's. I'm sure the Ed. 8 sound absolutely brilliant, but he didn't like it and decided to tell people he didn't like it. Free speech?

But yeah don't just be swayed by only one or two negative reviews. If I listened to that one guy that hated the DT48, I wouldn't have bothered to get a pair, which would have been a shame because they're my current favorite headphone.

this is exactly my point. he is entitled to his opinion, just like i'm entitled to my opinion about his review. i think that if you read Ed. 8 owners' comments to his review, you'll see that i'm not the only one who disagrees with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back