Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #2,448 of 6,432
Last week I brought my Pro 900s in to work. One of my coworkers writes reviews for Bass Player Magazine on the side and was telling me that he hooked his bass up to his computer and was looking into some nice headphones to plug into his rig. So at lunch time I let him borrow the Pro 900s. He came back at the end of the day to return it, with the biggest cheese on his face. "I close my eyes, and I feel like I'm at Yoshi's" (Yoshi's is a famous jazz club in Oakland). He's going to come over this week to check out my other headphones. 

Another friend of mine tried my 225i's and loved it. He was using some cheap $30 Kensington headphones that he ordered through his work's office supply catalog. He ended up ordering some SR60i's, and its his first set of headphones that were more expensive than $30. When SR60i came in, he was A/Bing it with my Ultrasone HFI-580s so we were passing the two headphones back and forth. On a track off the new Fleet Foxes album, I commented that his compression left some sibilance on the Grados and explained to him what it was I was referring to. Three weeks later, he randomly texts me "Listening to the Magnetic Man album, and there's tons of sibilance and it's pissing me off!" He's already getting that upgrade itch. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #2,449 of 6,432
Saw a guy with a pair of what I presume to be LCD-2's (sorry I was around 40'-50' away) today at a record store, wanted to congratulate him but he was to into his music, not to mention many people would look at him as if he were psycho.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #2,450 of 6,432
I don't consider myself an audiophile - yet - so my trip on sunday to the 32 Ohm store in Portland (the store counterpart to the online ALO Audio) was a memorable one to say the least. The one worker there was not the most knowledgable in regards to headphones, but he was extremely friendly and helpful. He also set up an amp with ALO's LOD and let me try a set of beautifully recabled LCD-2's. While I only listened to a couple of minutes of some random music on my iphone, I was blown away by how great the headphones sounded, especially compared to the sr60i's I own. I was amazed at how clear and seperate the instruments sounded; out of all my years of listening to Atheist's "Unquestionable Presence," I've never heard Shaefer's guitar so vividly and cleanly seperated from Choy's bass noodling... it was freaking sweet.
It was pretty cool to say the least to get a glimpse of what people with high-end phones and amps are talking about. Its also neat that I am fortunate to live in a city where a neophyte like me can waltz into a headphone store and plug right into a top of the line set-up. 
o2smile.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #2,451 of 6,432
I love my headphones they help me focus and escape. but the reason that I believe others don't value them as much as we do is because they are reclusive in nature. you can't do this as a social activity and doesn't get you a woman's attention. at least that is what I think... Social status is what people spend on so stereo equipment still gets a group going.
Cheers,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmLVW2UmuOw&NR=1 ps if you want to save time jump to 1:20
Keeping in line with the dre beeting.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #2,452 of 6,432

Quote:
I don't consider myself an audiophile - yet - so my trip on sunday to the 32 Ohm store in Portland (the store counterpart to the online ALO Audio) was a memorable one to say the least. The one worker there was not the most knowledgable in regards to headphones, but he was extremely friendly and helpful. He also set up an amp with ALO's LOD and let me try a set of beautifully recabled LCD-2's. While I only listened to a couple of minutes of some random music on my iphone, I was blown away by how great the headphones sounded, especially compared to the sr60i's I own. I was amazed at how clear and seperate the instruments sounded; out of all my years of listening to Atheist's "Unquestionable Presence," I've never heard Shaefer's guitar so vividly and cleanly seperated from Choy's bass noodling... it was freaking sweet.
It was pretty cool to say the least to get a glimpse of what people with high-end phones and amps are talking about. Its also neat that I am fortunate to live in a city where a neophyte like me can waltz into a headphone store and plug right into a top of the line set-up. 
o2smile.gif

That store is the reason I want to go to Portland. Lucky you.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #2,453 of 6,432
I love my headphones they help me focus and escape. but the reason that I believe others don't value them as much as we do is because they are reclusive in nature. you can't do this as a social activity and doesn't get you a woman's attention. at least that is what I think... Social status is what people spend on so stereo equipment still gets a group going.
Cheers,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmLVW2UmuOw&NR=1 ps if you want to save time jump to 1:20
Keeping in line with the dre beeting.

I agree and disagree. People I know buy Beats as a fashion symbol and just wear them around their neck. But headphones can defenitely get you a woman's attention. Still, I find it funny when people say $300-600 cans are expensive (Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, Audio Technica, etc) and aren't "worth it."

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #2,455 of 6,432
I don't see the humor. They are expensive. Some people just consider them a worthy investment; others don't.

Its funny because most of the people who laugh are people with Studio beats, which I know for a fact are not a particularly good investment as i owned a pair (gift) and have heard some of the brands I mentioned before and know that in terms of price comparison, you get more our of lets say some Grado SR225i than some Studio Beats.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2,456 of 6,432
Hey all, my first post is a plead for help!
So I just recently bought my first really decent system (Laptop>FLAC>udac-2>little dot 1+ with OPA2107AP (a harrowing install
smily_headphones1.gif
) and some ef91s on the way>Grado sr325is and I absolutely love it. I already feel the draw of this hobby/disease
biggrin.gif
. Anyway, my friend and I are going of to college at the end of the summer. He is dead set on some $250 speakers. He likes my Grados, though he heard them without burn in and without my amp. He plays bass, and I think he was a lot more impressed when he plugged them into his bass amp and played some. He is a metal fan, and he currently listens to Apple Lossless out of iTunes and his $20 2.0 speakers or his stock earbuds from his 2nd? generation nano
rolleyes.gif
. He is insanely stubborn. I've tried to explain to him that:
 A. SQ/Price most headphones are going to be better than most speakers in that range.
 B. His roommate may not agree with his choice of music/volume (he doesn't care
rolleyes.gif
)
 C. Portability ("my earbuds are fine!")
 D. Concealment if he's worried about theft. (He isn't)
 E. The onboard sound of his laptop probably won't do his speakers justice, but he doesn't see the need for a DAC.
I've asked him why, if he's just fine with his $20 speakers, he doesn't just take them with him. He says he "can't" and he wants to "replace them well." He just wishes his speakers had more bass. He got rather militant when I insisted headphones were the best deal for him and probably the best choice for college. " Music is meant to be listened to in 2.1," he said. I think he's nuts. Especially since he was the one who originally got me into music.

Help!
redface.gif

Do you guys have any suggestions for tracks I could play to change his mind? I told him if he's really set on speakers he should look at some Cambridge computer speakers in that range, because I've read good things about them on here. Aside, I think this place is great!

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #2,457 of 6,432
Well he likes the grado's and listens to metal. Let him hear the "Tempo of the Damned" cd from Exodus, it really is one of my favorite cd's with the grado's. "Train of Thought" from Dream Threater, both "Revelations" and "litany" cd's from Vader are great too. There are a lot more that bring out the 325is agressive "behaviour" but those are on the top of my head.

But than again, grado's arent the safest bet when there are more people in the room.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2,458 of 6,432
You're right about Grados in an open room, of course. But they certainly wouldn't be as loud to others as speakers. I'll try those tracks, thanks.
I'm not necessarily trying to get him to buy Grados, I'm just trying to convince him to get decent headphones! Someday he'll hear the light!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #2,459 of 6,432
This a more precise choice of tracks;

Yes i'm a Vader and Iron Maiden fan so the list is *slightly* biased :)
Vader - Epitaph
Vader - Carnal
Vader - Art of war
Vader -Wings
Vader - Final Massacre
Exodus - War Is My Shepherd
Exodus - Blacklist
Dream Theater - As I Am
Dream Theater - 6:00(6 o'clock)
And basicly every iron maiden and older slayer record, but im sure he has these already :)

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #2,460 of 6,432
My friend tried my Denon AH-C260 (not much, but pretty much the best IEM for $20, IMO), few moments later, he replied: "WOW, great sound quality!" He then asked what headphones are great for instrumental rock music, and I let him read reviews about the (surprise surprise,) M50. He said he'll buy those after summer, along with my iBasso D2+ purchase.

Can't wait to see his face after listening to my new AKG K141 mk.II :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back