Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #2,416 of 6,432

Quote:
I've had several people listen to my cans. Back when I only had my Beyer 880's without an amp, I had a non-musician friend listen to them for a few minutes. At the end he asked "How much did you pay for them?" looking very discontented. Later, I had someone who was a lifelong saxaphonist listen to vinyl on my 600 ohm 990's Beyers, and he loved it. If someone isn't sonically refined, listening to a $1000 setup will be like giving a high quality, small-batch made beer when they've never had beer before. It takes a lot of varied beer drinking or music listening to appreciate the good stuff.

Well said, beer all tasted the same and not that great, then I started going to university.....

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #2,417 of 6,432
I've had several people listen to my cans. Back when I only had my Beyer 880's without an amp, I had a non-musician friend listen to them for a few minutes. At the end he asked "How much did you pay for them?" looking very discontented. Later, I had someone who was a lifelong saxaphonist listen to vinyl on my 600 ohm 990's Beyers, and he loved it. If someone isn't sonically refined, listening to a $1000 setup will be like giving a high quality, small-batch made beer when they've never had beer before. It takes a lot of varied beer drinking or music listening to appreciate the good stuff.

i think you need to give them more popular, well know club/afterhours music with lots of bass. i let a lot of my friends and coworkers try listening to EDM with Westone 4 and Ed. 8 with bass-boost (contour) from my Voyager and they all loved it. the U-shaped EQ makes it sound impressive and fun and the headphones still maintain their superior clarity and detail.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2,418 of 6,432
I want both of those headphones ;~;

Quote:
Quote:

i think you need to give them more popular, well know club/afterhours music with lots of bass. i let a lot of my friends and coworkers try listening to EDM with Westone 4 and Ed. 8 with bass-boost (contour) from my Voyager and they all loved it. the U-shaped EQ makes it sound impressive and fun and the headphones still maintain their superior clarity and detail.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #2,419 of 6,432
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, My grandpa was at my house and saw my RS-2.
"wow....these look expensive"
He put them on and listened to some Joan Baiez
"wow....they sound expensive too"

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #2,421 of 6,432

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, My grandpa was at my house and saw my RS-2.
"wow....these look expensive"
He put them on and listened to some Joan Baiez
"wow....they sound expensive too"

win!

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #2,423 of 6,432
An eargasm? 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #2,424 of 6,432
Best Friend:                     Did you hear that honey!? He went to an audiologist to get an ear mold for his ear phones!
Best Friend's Girlfriend:     You're not doing that.

Me:               I bought two more pairs of headphones.
Friend:          Why? I thought you already had the Mercedes of headphones.
Me:               Well, now I have the Ferrari and the Lamborghini as well.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #2,425 of 6,432
I've got a girlfriend again since a 3 montsh or so and she knows about my extended music collection and that i use headphones. Yesterday i told her to bring a cd she knows well whens she comes over today. Wondering what the reaction will be

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #2,426 of 6,432
I'm still not sure if I am considered a Audiophile, I currently use HD25-1's with a E7 for my on-the-go laptop  but I remember the first day that I listened to my cousins M50's (at the time I owned some Sony Xb500's that I was fairly pleased with) but the M50's put me in shock at how clear they were. The fact that the bass was also on par with my Sony's yet out perfomed it in what seemed to be every aspect is the reason that I am on these forums today. The M50s were so clear and there was a layering in the music, while my Sonys were muddy and the highs were missing.

So don't be disappointed because for every person who doesn't appreciate the sound quality difference, there are those who do!

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #2,427 of 6,432

Quote:
Best Friend:                     Did you hear that honey!? He went to an audiologist to get an ear mold for his ear phones!
Best Friend's Girlfriend:     You're not doing that.

Me:               I bought two more pairs of headphones.
Friend:          Why? I thought you already had the Mercedes of headphones.
Me:               Well, now I have the Ferrari and the Lamborghini as well.

LOL. I love the "you're not doing that." Imagining she said it with you-do-it-and-I-break-up-with-you-look in her face.

My new coworker said "so clear! and the bass is very clear!" after he listen some musics from my Audio-Technica SJ33. Another coworker said "this is crazy! never though this music has so much instrument on them! but it really show my low quality music files..". The last part he said with sad face (his music files is mainly 128kbps).

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #2,428 of 6,432
One of the things I like best to convert the muggles is to have them do a A-B-A comparison... A being their own whatever, B being whatever I have on me at the time...

First I tell them to listen to a song (or a piece of a song) they know very well on their own whatever (which is usually some 128k mp3 played on <insert cheap or popular player here> with the buds that came with the player.

In the mean time, I get the same song in a FLAC version ready on my player. When they are done listening on their device,  make them listen to mine. This usually gets me a reaction along the lines of 'is that all?' or 'how much you payed for those?'. But mostly, people just go into denial mode and say that theirs sound just as good.

Now comes the best part, make them listen to their own setup again... watch the utter disappointment on their faces after they realize how crappy their music sounds on their own device and ear- or headphones...

Somehow the change to high quality doesn't make that much of an impression on the average muggle, but from high quality back down appears to make a huge difference...

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2,429 of 6,432
One of the things I like best to convert the muggles is to have them do a A-B-A comparison... A being their own whatever, B being whatever I have on me at the time...

First I tell them to listen to a song (or a piece of a song) they know very well on their own whatever (which is usually some 128k mp3 played on <insert cheap or popular player here> with the buds that came with the player.

In the mean time, I get the same song in a FLAC version ready on my player. When they are done listening on their device,  make them listen to mine. This usually gets me a reaction along the lines of 'is that all?' or 'how much you payed for those?'. But mostly, people just go into denial mode and say that theirs sound just as good.

Now comes the best part, make them listen to their own setup again... watch the utter disappointment on their faces after they realize how crappy their music sounds on their own device and ear- or headphones...

Somehow the change to high quality doesn't make that much of an impression on the average muggle, but from high quality back down appears to make a huge difference...

cool idea!

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2,430 of 6,432

Quote:

sooo true hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back