Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 16, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #2,401 of 6,432

Quote:
THE BASS IS SO GOOD

SO GOOD THAT YOU CAN NO LONGER HEAR GOOD BASS

FEAR THE AUDIOPHILE AND HIS HEADPHONES

Sennheiser: Our sales are plummeting! Quick, we need a new headphone to capture the attention of the masses!
Director: Why not just stuff a couple subwoofers in the cups?

DR.SENNHEISER BEATCANDIES, WORLD'S BEST HEADPHONE.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #2,402 of 6,432

Quote:

Quote:
Should've said they do, then gave it to him to listen. When he goes "What man where's the bass" you tell him "YOUR MIND HAS BEEN NUMBED."

lmao that would have been funny.

Quote:
THE BASS IS SO GOOD

SO GOOD THAT YOU CAN NO LONGER HEAR GOOD BASS

FEAR THE AUDIOPHILE AND HIS HEADPHONES

I think you could actually come up with a logical/believable explanation for it! The bass is so loud it instantly desensitizes your hearing to bass.
biggrin.gif
 Silly non-audiophiles won't know any better.

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #2,403 of 6,432
I let my dad, who's 65, audition my DT990/600s, and let him listen to some mozart violin concertos.  His first reaction was "wait, the sound isn't in my head."  Then he motions with his arms and waves them outward and around him from his crossed-arm position.

Good ears dad, good ears.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #2,404 of 6,432
Try some Cello stuff with the 990s. Mmmmmmmm...Little bit deeper makes bass-y cans sing. 

Quote:
I let my dad, who's 65, audition my DT990/600s, and let him listen to some mozart violin concertos.  His first reaction was "wait, the sound isn't in my head."  Then he motions with his arms and waves them outward and around him from his crossed-arm position.

Good ears dad, good ears.

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2,405 of 6,432

Quote:
Especially with the IEMs, I know what you mean. I bet good IEMs in general go unnoticed or overlooked often even by audiophiles because of their size.

It's one of those things that people don't expect something so small to be so good, so they don't draw attention. But if someone has a large pair of around-ear headphones, they will draw more attention than IEMs purely based on size when they may only like 40 bucks. When I take the train to work, and then walk to the office, I'm just in my own world with good music and I love it. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #2,406 of 6,432
I was showing the Shure 535s to my fiancee earlier and her reaction was 'They're $500? I can buy earbuds for like...$20. That's half as much as your headphones!'

Then I showed her some customs and she was like 'Ooooooooooo...That's actually awesome because they never fit my small ears. Buy me some.'

:|

Quote:
It's one of those things that people don't expect something so small to be so good, so they don't draw attention. But if someone has a large pair of around-ear headphones, they will draw more attention than IEMs purely based on size when they may only like 40 bucks. When I take the train to work, and then walk to the office, I'm just in my own world with good music and I love it. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #2,407 of 6,432

Quote:
I was showing the Shure 535s to my fiancee earlier and her reaction was 'They're $500? I can buy earbuds for like...$20. That's half as much as your headphones!'

Then I showed her some customs and she was like 'Ooooooooooo...That's actually awesome because they never fit my small ears. Buy me some.'

:|

Kozee is your friend? $140 customs!

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #2,408 of 6,432
That's actually kind of cool. 

How much do impressions usually run? I'm still interested in customs, I'm just very weary because I have really waxy ears.

I'd get them for her if she'd do the impressions herself.

Quote:
Kozee is your friend? $140 customs!

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2,409 of 6,432

Quote:
That's actually kind of cool. 

How much do impressions usually run? I'm still interested in customs, I'm just very weary because I have really waxy ears.

I'd get them for her if she'd do the impressions herself.

They send you a free impression kit to do yourself, but if you aren't confident enough, they're like $20 give or take a few bucks at your local audiologist.

Joker has a review of the X1's in the mega-thread if you haven't read it yet. Although it's the upgraded $180 one.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #2,410 of 6,432
I didn't realize they were that cheap (impressions). Very interested. 

Quote:
They send you a free impression kit to do yourself, but if you aren't confident enough, they're like $20 give or take a few bucks at your local audiologist.

Joker has a review of the X1's in the mega-thread if you haven't read it yet. Although it's the upgraded $180 one.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2,412 of 6,432
You send the company making your IEMs an ear mold made by an otolaryngologist (ENT doctor). 

Quote:
How do custom IEM impressions work anyway? Do you go to their offices and have them measure it, do they send you something, or what?

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #2,414 of 6,432

Quote:
How do custom IEM impressions work anyway? Do you go to their offices and have them measure it, do they send you something, or what?

After the impressions process, you send them off to the IEM company and they will use your impression molds to make you hardshelled acrylic custom IEM's with the drivers (or custom artwork), then you'll you receive them in your mail (or delivery man).

(EDIT: Ah damn kyuuketsuki beat me to it......xD)

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #2,415 of 6,432
I've had several people listen to my cans. Back when I only had my Beyer 880's without an amp, I had a non-musician friend listen to them for a few minutes. At the end he asked "How much did you pay for them?" looking very discontented. Later, I had someone who was a lifelong saxaphonist listen to vinyl on my 600 ohm 990's Beyers, and he loved it. If someone isn't sonically refined, listening to a $1000 setup will be like giving a high quality, small-batch made beer when they've never had beer before. It takes a lot of varied beer drinking or music listening to appreciate the good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back