Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #2,386 of 6,432
The biggest problem for me with using open headphones wouldn't be isolation so much as sound leaking to my surroundings.  It kind of makes you seem like a bit of a jerk if you listen to music like that at a public location.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #2,387 of 6,432
I agree to an extent. Most places I hang out people don't care. I'm not 'that guy that uses Grados on a bus'. I'm not that rude. There's a time and place for everything. 

I'll probably be using them outside at a coffee shop. Closed options for more random things. Like if I'm just going downtown for the day, closed it is. 

It's all very situational...I'm not rude with open listening outdoors. I'm very careful not to disturb anyone.

Quote:
The biggest problem for me with using open headphones wouldn't be isolation so much as sound leaking to my surroundings.  It kind of makes you seem like a bit of a jerk if you listen to music like that at a public location.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2,388 of 6,432
its amazing how u guys feel fine wearing thousand dollar headphones out into public like that >< i can just imagine someone wearing ED8s or LCD2s while walking down a busy street. I can also imagine if they accidentally scratch against a wall or fall off ur head. O_O

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #2,389 of 6,432
Well, as mentioned in a few threads I've seen around here...Most people don't fear them being stolen (because people don't know how much they're worth), and the Ed8s keep a pretty tight grip. 

As far as running into walls goes though, that sounds like a personal problem. :D

Quote:
its amazing how u guys feel fine wearing thousand dollar headphones out into public like that >< i can just imagine someone wearing ED8s or LCD2s while walking down a busy street. I can also imagine if they accidentally scratch against a wall or fall off ur head. O_O

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2,390 of 6,432
Quote:
As far as running into walls goes though, that sounds like a personal problem. :D

My sense of personal space never extends to cover my clothing for some reason.  I tend to get belt loops caught on things or bang my watch against door frames.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2,391 of 6,432
I've never had a problem with this. I suppose I understand it, but I guess I just never cut it that close.

Quote:
My sense of personal space never extends to cover my clothing for some reason.  I tend to get belt loops caught on things or bang my watch against door frames.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2,392 of 6,432

Quote:
Well, as mentioned in a few threads I've seen around here...Most people don't fear them being stolen (because people don't know how much they're worth), and the Ed8s keep a pretty tight grip. 

I completely agree, I bet most people think their's are better, and almsot everyone has no clue how much they cost. Although my set up is very simple with my TF10 straight out of my iPod, I enjoy the feeling that I'm enjoying good sounding music, and yet no one around me has any idea how much they cost or how good they are.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #2,393 of 6,432

Quote:

Well, LCD-2 is pushing it because of size, but I wouldn't mind wearing my ED8's outside.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2,394 of 6,432
Haha, that's crazy!

And remember, NOTHING has enough bass until the only thing you can hear is a giant muddy boom covering the music. Hell, even that's not enough, your head better be violently rumbling for it to be real bass.

my friends tried some EDM on my ED-8 with the Voyager with Contour (U-shaped) EQ on. they said that this is just like being at an afterhours, except that the floor isn't shaking :p everyone was raving about how insane the bass was.

apparently the ED-8 Ruthenium is scratch-resistant :) and it clamps like crazy tbh (it has to if you want to get the best bass).

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #2,395 of 6,432

Quote:

I completely agree, I bet most people think their's are better, and almsot everyone has no clue how much they cost. Although my set up is very simple with my TF10 straight out of my iPod, I enjoy the feeling that I'm enjoying good sounding music, and yet no one around me has any idea how much they cost or how good they are.

Especially with the IEMs, I know what you mean. I bet good IEMs in general go unnoticed or overlooked often even by audiophiles because of their size.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2,396 of 6,432
some one asked me how much my headphones were (shure srh840) i said $200. he said they must have mind numbing bass then right. i said no it's balanced and he didn't know how to respond.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #2,398 of 6,432

Quote:
some one asked me how much my headphones were (shure srh840) i said $200. he said they must have mind numbing bass then right. i said no it's balanced and he didn't know how to respond.

Should've said they do, then gave it to him to listen. When he goes "What man where's the bass" you tell him "YOUR MIND HAS BEEN NUMBED."

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2,399 of 6,432

Quote:
Should've said they do, then gave it to him to listen. When he goes "What man where's the bass" you tell him "YOUR MIND HAS BEEN NUMBED."

lmao that would have been funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back