Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2,372 of 6,432
Awesome is not a sound signature. lol. At least I wouldn't consider it one.

I'd love to have them as a portable. I didn't think I'd like them a few months ago, but now that I find the D7000 bass heavy (not in a bad way) I think the Ed 8 would be excellent for me.
Quote:
Quote:
Describe the sound signature and report back, if you would. From what I've read I think I'd really like it.

the Ed. 8 is awesome.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #2,373 of 6,432

Quote:

I'd love to have them as a portable. I didn't think I'd like them a few months ago, but now that I find the D7000 bass heavy (not in a bad way) I think the Ed 8 would be excellent for me.

The more time I spend with my T1 the more I think the underlined. But maybe it's just the T1 itself that I love.

I'll tell you about the Ed 8 in a bit, but my HE500 just arrived and you know what that means.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #2,374 of 6,432

it's an ultrasone, it has a slight emphasis on bass. when i listen to EDM i still EQ it with my portable amp to add more bass :)

it's a very pleasant headphone to listen to, the bass is deep, smooth, and euphonic. the mids are lush. and the treble is bright, but not sibilant. this isn't a very balanced headphone, but the coloration that it adds to music is very, very pleasant. i watched a movie in them and it sounds like i'm in a movie theater (without my seat vibrating from the huge speakers in UltraAVX theaters). make sure that you have a portable amp to drive it tho.

honestly, since i got my Westone 4 i've been looking for a full-size portable headphone to satisfy my craving, as well as planning to get an LCD-2/Lyr setup for home... after i received the Ed. 8, i stopped reading the LCD-2/Lyr threads.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2,375 of 6,432
I'm mainly looking for something right now yo do my new portarig justice. The HE 500 will be awesome with it (I think), but not always practical. 

I was thinking some Beyer DT 770 600 Ohm cans, but I'm a little worried out them with EDM. I'd just go for Ed8s, but that's way off price wise atm for me. 

Quote:
Quote:

it's an ultrasone, it has a slight emphasis on bass. when i listen to EDM i still EQ it with my portable amp to add more bass
smily_headphones1.gif

it's a very pleasant headphone to listen to, the bass is deep, smooth, and euphonic. the mids are lush. and the treble is bright, but not sibilant. this isn't a very balanced headphone, but the coloration that it adds to music is very, very pleasant. i watched a movie in them and it sounds like i'm in a movie theater (without my seat vibrating from the huge speakers in UltraAVX theaters). make sure that you have a portable amp to drive it tho.

honestly, since i got my Westone 4 i've been looking for a full-size portable headphone to satisfy my craving, as well as planning to get an LCD-2/Lyr setup for home... after i received the Ed. 8, i stopped reading the LCD-2/Lyr threads.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #2,377 of 6,432
Replace the cable and be okay with outside noise, I guess. 

I've been somewhat enjoying my HD 598 for portable use because I can hear everyone but still get decent stereo sound. I could do the 'single ear IEM thing', but screw that.

Quote:
I'm loving the HE500 so much right now Morbid. I'll definitely let you know how the Ed 8 and T5p are later, as I can't see how you would use the HE500s for portable use
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #2,378 of 6,432

Quote:
Replace the cable and be okay with outside noise, I guess. 

I've been somewhat enjoying my HD 598 for portable use because I can hear everyone but still get decent stereo sound. I could do the 'single ear IEM thing', but screw that.

I would never do outside listening without isolation personally, hence my use of IEMs or Ed8/T5p if I really needed it. I would keep the HE500 for home use, but it's up to you.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #2,379 of 6,432

Quote:
I'm loving the HE500 so much right now Morbid. I'll definitely let you know how the Ed 8 and T5p are later, as I can't see how you would use the HE500s for portable use
tongue.gif

I've seen someone use an LCD2 as a portable, Hifiman HM801 >> Graham Slee Solo >> LCD2 Powered by Energizer Battery Pack. LOL

a reaction from a non-audiophile to my Ed8, "Not enough bass, this thing is bad."

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #2,380 of 6,432

Quote:
I've seen someone use an LCD2 as a portable, Hifiman HM801 >> Graham Slee Solo >> LCD2 Powered by Energizer Battery Pack. LOL

a reaction from a non-audiophile to my Ed8, "Not enough bass, this thing is bad."

Haha, that's crazy!

And remember, NOTHING has enough bass until the only thing you can hear is a giant muddy boom covering the music. Hell, even that's not enough, your head better be violently rumbling for it to be real bass.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2,384 of 6,432
I agree, but there's advantages to both in different situations for me. 

Sometimes isolation is good, and I plan to get something for that case (just not sure what the hell to get)...sometimes it's bad and the HE 500 I think will be good for that case. 

The other thing is that this portable rig is replacing my bedside rig. So I can toss on a different cable and take it wherever I am in the house as well.

Quote:
I would never do outside listening without isolation personally, hence my use of IEMs or Ed8/T5p if I really needed it. I would keep the HE500 for home use, but it's up to you.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2,385 of 6,432

Quote:
I agree, but there's advantages to both in different situations for me. 

Sometimes isolation is good, and I plan to get something for that case (just not sure what the hell to get)...sometimes it's bad and the HE 500 I think will be good for that case. 

The other thing is that this portable rig is replacing my bedside rig. So I can toss on a different cable and take it wherever I am in the house as well.

Yea, the all in one aspect is very nice. That's what I had hoped for in the Ed 8 and T5p (Disappointed by both). I think if you're going to listen to music at all outside, isolation is a must. Of course I need to talk to people and whatnot, but that's why I use IEMs w/ inline remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back