Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2,281 of 6,432
Perhaps he is used to muddy bass, and the crisp strong real bass of the shures made him realize that his lowriders had really horrible ill defined bass. So instead of saying what he heard which is "Omg this bass is so crisp and clear, and not what I am used to" he said it was too much to save face with his lowriders.  

Quote:

Then what he says still makes no sense
rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2,282 of 6,432

Quote:
Perhaps he is used to muddy bass, and the crisp strong real bass of the shures made him realize that his lowriders had really horrible ill defined bass. So instead of saying what he heard which is "Omg this bass is so crisp and clear, and not what I am used to" he said it was too much to save face with his lowriders.  

he knows his lowriders are crap. hell they aren't even his they are his sisters. he currently has no headphones of his own but eh is not a fool and knows to do research. he told me my headphones made him feel depressed when he put the lowriders back on. he really likes my headphones but i highly doubt he will spend $200 on headphones when he hasn't bought himself cheapies even in a long time.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2,283 of 6,432
i got a surprising response from a friend of mine who tried my shure srh840. he told me with 100% certainty that it had TO MUCH BASS. that shocked me.

Perhaps he is used to muddy bass, and the crisp strong real bass of the shures made him realize that his lowriders had really horrible ill defined bass. So instead of saying what he heard which is "Omg this bass is so crisp and clear and not what I am used to" he said it was too much to save face with his lowriders.  

Quantity = quality now? Sorry, no.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2,284 of 6,432
For someone with little experience with headphone bass, they could probably easily mix the two up.  Or, it could be that he thought the Shures had too much bass, but at the same time it was textured and well delineated.

*shrug*

Quote:
Quote:
i got a surprising response from a friend of mine who tried my shure srh840. he told me with 100% certainty that it had TO MUCH BASS. that shocked me.

Quote:
Perhaps he is used to muddy bass, and the crisp strong real bass of the shures made him realize that his lowriders had really horrible ill defined bass. So instead of saying what he heard which is "Omg this bass is so crisp and clear and not what I am used to" he said it was too much to save face with his lowriders.  

Quantity = quality now? Sorry, no.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2,285 of 6,432
I've always seen bass the opposite way; the tighter and less boomy it is, the less I perceive. You just don't notice it as much when it's not bleeding into the rest of the sound spectrum.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #2,286 of 6,432
Quote:
I've always seen bass the opposite way; the tighter and less boomy it is, the less I perceive. You just don't notice it as much when it's not bleeding into the rest of the sound spectrum.

Thats how I imagine we all see it for the most part. Perhaps for someone not used to good bass the better more defined body on the Shures would seem larger. 

Any of us here who are used to big bass with equally good definition can hear the difference between say; a denon D2000 and my k271. At that level it becomes a matter of preference.

bcasey25raptor: just wondering, which did he like more?

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #2,287 of 6,432

Quote:
Thats how I imagine we all see it for the most part. Perhaps for someone not used to good bass the better more defined body on the Shures would seem larger. 

Any of us here who are used to big bass with equally good definition can hear the difference between say; a denon D2000 and my k271. At that level it becomes a matter of preference.

bcasey25raptor: just wondering, which did he like more?

he loved my shure srh840. he was disappointed when he had to go back to his skullcandies.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #2,288 of 6,432
Quote:
he loved my shure srh840. he was disappointed when he had to go back to his skullcandies.

Nice!

If you have to, just recommend him the KSC75. I always recommend it to people that don't want to spend more than $20 and are unsure of what they like. As a gateway phone you really can't go wrong with it; hell its pretty enjoyable too.

Edit: unless he knows what he wants?
confused.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #2,290 of 6,432
Jun 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #2,291 of 6,432

Quote:
Wow, the Srh440 is really low! I'm so glad I didn't buy that, I would not have enjoyed it.

Just curious, but why do they all bounce up at around the 10kHz point? Is that normal?

I think that's what you'd generally call a V-shaped signature...it gives a peak in the highs so you can hear more details more easily, and tends to give the impression of better sound quality.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #2,292 of 6,432
I don't find them to have overwhelming bass at all; quality is about on-par for headphones at that price point, but I think it's actually just a tad light on bass.  That could be due to the light fit of the cans not creating a perfect seal, but whatever the cause, I wouldn't call 840s bass-heavy at all.

Quote:
Or could it be, that the 840 really has =913&graphID[]=2811]too much bass?

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #2,293 of 6,432

Quote:
I don't find them to have overwhelming bass at all; quality is about on-par for headphones at that price point, but I think it's actually just a tad light on bass.  That could be due to the light fit of the cans not creating a perfect seal, but whatever the cause, I wouldn't call 840s bass-heavy at all.

This is true, at least for my 750's. In order to hear the optimum bass, you have you push the cups into your head a little more, it makes a huge difference in bass response. Not so much for the higher end.

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2,294 of 6,432
something funny is i brought my fiio e5 to school today and i got comments like "why do you have an ishuffle connected to your ipod". i also got things like "why do you have a cheap chinese mp3 player. when i told them it was an amp i got responses like. "yoru music isn't loud enough?" and "never heard of headphone amps i never see them in stores". i proceeded to tell them consumers generally have no idea they need more power with higher impedance headphones, so since the consumers don't know they won't buy them. people looked at it and thought it was weird because i had it connected to a fiio l3 lod.

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #2,295 of 6,432
something funny is i brought my fiio e5 to school today and i got comments like "why do you have an ishuffle connected to your ipod". i also got things like "why do you have a cheap chinese mp3 player. when i told them it was an amp i got responses like. "yoru music isn't loud enough?" and "never heard of headphone amps i never see them in stores". i proceeded to tell them consumers generally have no idea they need more power with higher impedance headphones, so since the consumers don't know they won't buy them. people looked at it and thought it was weird because i had it connected to a fiio l3 lod.

IMO the E5 does look odd on the back of something. A more fitting amp looks less ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back