Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
May 31, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2,146 of 6,432
E9 isn't a bad long term investment IMO. The E7 is however (again, IMO)

Quote:
Meh, I was just curious. I was considering looking around for another pair of phones, and I was interested in exploring the sound signature of the 880's. Can anyone confirm if it sounds similar to Grados, but with a larger soundstage and just some slight general differences? Grado 225i's are what I also was considering, but I'm not sure anymore...
Also I don't think I could afford the 880's, they're a little too expensive for me and plus I'd probably have to go ahead and take the plunge at some kind of amp, mostly considering the E7/E9 combo but again, probably too much to invest in the short term.

May 31, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #2,147 of 6,432
Quote:
DT pads are still the best pads I've felt/worn yet.

-- Griffinhart

Sennheiser HD560 velours are very comfy, but probably not as great as DT pads. The K271 velours have to be the hardest "velour" pads I've ever worn. Thats not to say their not comfortable, but they don't sink in either, I really want to put a modded DT770 pad on my K271 some time.

Still, I feel sennheiser's HD series velours are the most convenient. You just pull it off from the inside and pop a new one in. They could be the best pads as a complete package, so to speak.

Edit: nvm, the pads on my 560 ovations are circumaural, there completely different from any of the other Sennheiser pads so I don't really know what I'm talking about here...screw this, I want me some beyer gels for my K271's
biggrin.gif

In the long run how you get your pads on a pair of headphones doesn't mean anything anyways...

May 31, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2,148 of 6,432
Quote:
DT pads are still the best pads I've felt/worn yet.

The Beyer gel pads are the better IMO.  They give you a little more bass and isolation too.  The black ones look better but they aren't supposed to be as comfy since they're coated with something to make them black.

May 31, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2,149 of 6,432
Does anyone know of a headphone earpad mod for the Shure 750dj's? I'm starting to get really annoyed with them.
One noticeable thing about them is I actually have to press the cups towards my ears to feel the true bass response. Its a shame, because they have so much potential and a lot of satisfaction is lost because of some el cheapo inflexible earpads.

Quote:
MorbidToaster:
E9 isn't a bad long term investment IMO. The E7 is however (again, IMO)

I do agree with that. From my little experience with Fiio's marketing structure, I can highly assume that they will be updating their products often to force customers to buy. I wonder if they're planning on upgrading the E7 anytime soon, as they have already released the E11. The E9 seems like their main all-around compatible product, so I think its pretty stable. I'm worried about that E7 though.

May 31, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #2,150 of 6,432
Quote:
I can agree with that, but I still think the Denons are more comfy over all.

Ha, you're all wrong!  Everyone knows that the most comfortable headphones around are Grados.
wink_face.gif

May 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #2,151 of 6,432

Quote:
Ha, you're all wrong!  Everyone knows that the most comfortable headphones around are Grados.
wink_face.gif

Trolololol! Haha. Just wondering, does washing the pads really help at all? My bowls are currently drying so I won't find out for a little while.

May 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #2,152 of 6,432
Quote:
Trolololol! Haha. Just wondering, does washing the pads really help at all? My bowls are currently drying so I won't find out for a little while.

A little bit, not leaps and bounds.

May 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #2,153 of 6,432

Quote:

Foam... does not sound sound too comfy... Actually it sounds like it would feel rough, but I've never tried on a pair of Grados.

May 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #2,154 of 6,432

Quote:

Foam... does not sound sound too comfy... Actually it sounds like it would feel rough, but I've never tried on a pair of Grados.

May 31, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #2,155 of 6,432

Quote:
Meh, I was just curious. I was considering looking around for another pair of phones, and I was interested in exploring the sound signature of the 880's. Can anyone confirm if it sounds similar to Grados, but with a larger soundstage and just some slight general differences? Grado 225i's are what I also was considering, but I'm not sure anymore...
Also I don't think I could afford the 880's, they're a little too expensive for me and plus I'd probably have to go ahead and take the plunge at some kind of amp, mostly considering the E7/E9 combo but again, probably too much to invest in the short term.

The DT880 is NOTHING like Grado.

The E9+E7 is a wonderful starting setup.

May 31, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2,156 of 6,432
Same story here, mostly open mouths, gasps, and amazement at my ATH-A700s as compared to earbuds. (Plus they're extremely comfy). Then dubious looks as they find out that I spent over $100 on them.

May 31, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #2,157 of 6,432
A guy had Studio beats on the train into work this morning. Then when I got off the train saw a pair of HD595's in the train station on my way to work, a few pairs of porta pros, and Senn Px100's, made my dad better.

May 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2,160 of 6,432
I recently was at the Mediamarkt (Largish electronics store in Holland) and was checking out some bad IEM's, feeling very superior due to the AKG K702 hanging around my neck.
Then an employee came up and began praising the IEM's I had in my ears. He was halfway through his story when he noticed the logo on my phones, and said: "Forgot what i just said. An AKG owner would never believe it anyway. Can i try those on for a minute?". It was amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back