Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
May 30, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #2,131 of 6,432

Quote:
 People used to ask me why i had an "ipod shuffle" connected to my omnia i910's leather case. Sometimes I told them it was an amp and would have them try out my S4's. Luckily, the S4 are great for hip-hop so they were always impressed with them, but never understood what an amp was. They liked the bass boost but mostly felt the image S4 didn't need it when paired with their iphones. I usually just lied and "admitted" it was a 1st gen iPod shuffle for when my smart phone's battery died
biggrin.gif

Quote:

A little off topic but If we are talking about respecting other people's hobby's, I never understood why bmx biker's had always felt the incestant need try to trip me mid grind on my aggro skates at the park. I know that aholes are aholes, but still. Were all spending roughly spending the same overpriced amount and busting our a$$e$ just to get that little rush, whether it be from the most miniscule moment of airtime or from the out of this world presentation of even a budget Stax. I guess its all the same in the end...

Well said, it never ends. There's no sense judging one expensive hobby over another because its all different means to a same end. Though in all honesty, some DO provide you with more for less.

On the topic of excessive bass: I think Skullcandy, Boss, Monster etc really should just merge into one mega consumer headphone group and provide "stylish" headphones with insane bass. Everyone clueless about audio would buy them since bass and style is all that matters to them nowadays, and this mega corporation would line their pockets a crazy amount. Then the headphone market would be much more simple and streamlined, and when people are ready to experience more than just "bass that slaps hella hard", they'd have a clear route to take.

May 31, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2,132 of 6,432
Quote:
Jesus christ...Why would you boost the S4s bass? I listen to EDM, so bass is super important to me, but the S4 has very overpowering bass unless the rest is EQed up...

The biggest thing I noticed when I paired the S4 with the Arrow was the veil on them lifted. Really opened them up and made the bass not seem so ridiculous.

Edit:nvm, I just tried it now with bass boost and got the worst migraine headache, not to mention bass-boost only served to hide any texture in the bass, making the rumble entirely unapealing.

Its funny, I had used the S4 with E5+bass-boost all throughout highschool; perhaps that why I've completely turned against bigbass for now. :wink:

It seems like I am in fact a basshead, so I'll probably be back with a pair of D2000's someday...

Also, my S4 are still working perfect and I bought them when they first came out! They've caught on doors, my computer desk and all sorts of things and are still going strong :D 

May 31, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #2,134 of 6,432
Usually they care about how popular it is, how expensive it is, how it looks, the comfortability (understandable), and who endorsed it; sound probably only plays half of the judgement to the average consumer.

Which is why those stubborn ignos think beats by dre are the best thing out there.

Oh and common ones are bass and noise isolation, which is understandable, but not if that's all they care about.

May 31, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2,135 of 6,432
I have a bit of animosity towards Monster for popularizing the strange choice of using active noise cancelers for normal listening. Why is the word "studio" attached to active noise cancellers?

And btw, I recently compared the Denon NC800 to the Bose QC15 and actually preferred the sound out of the Bose. Maybe the headphone nerfs itself if the "restorer" isn't turned on? I probably shoulda tried it. Regardless, the Denons were incrementally more comfortable with much nicer ear pads, but the Bose were already comfortable enough. Maybe I shouldn't have used the single most demanding song I know of. Anyone want to hear how bad Youtube's audio compression REALLY is?

I also tried out the Beats pro and found them to be head crushingly uncomfortable. Their sound also kind of sucked.

What's the point to all this? The guy who was running the store thought that my ATH-A900's were huge to cancel noise. He also told me that the beats had the best SQ there? I bet that honor belongs to some of the ety's they had.

Edit: And someone needs to tell skullcandy that the wide part of a person's ear is at the top...

May 31, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #2,136 of 6,432
One thing that I give credit for Bose for is their earpadding. Is that genuine leather? Its veeerrryyy soft and comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. That said, my headphones aren't high on the comfort scale at all, so you could have me rejoicing over a pair of headphones that just did me a favor and threw me a bone in that direction.

What is a comfy pair of headphones? Are the Beyer DT880's comfy?

May 31, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #2,138 of 6,432
LOL sylverant, i dont think the commoner would bother spending some money on some headphones cuz they simply either dont know about headphones or dont bother as their ipod ear pieces are good enough for em. I have met lots of people with the same attitude like saying BEATS ROCK etc... and when i try the studio out im like, wt*?? so simply out of manners i just gave the dude back his funny beats that sounded like speakers being played underwater. He was kinda annoyed with my indifference to his beats as he was probably used to people getting reactions like, good music etc. Then he started asking if i thought it was good, how did i feel listening to it an whatnot. Simply getting annoyed by him being insecure i just took out my ie8s(replaced my spoilt cable already) and asked him to try it out. He was like in the first five seconds being wowed and then after that i took em back and he said it sucks. what a loser. so to speak many people have different opinions on headphones and ear buds/phones etc but to people who care about what we listen to and how good it sounds matter to us. i say that cuz thats how i feel. simply listening to alive by good charlotte without the kick in good bass or the sparkly highs in other songs is like having a cheesecake without the cheese. the people nowadays look to beats to be hip and cool whereas their ears suffer. listening to the beats solo hd yao ming edition(im in china) makes me wanna puke. i have to strain my ears to hear the singer which basically makes me wanna puke. no offence to anyone, postin my thoughts and my experiences. we are hip and cool for what we are, not what we wear. XD

May 31, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #2,140 of 6,432
i got some guy saying his earpollution rubbish is better than my AKG K518 DJ's, his are so plasticy and look like they will break. But he only prefered his because they are his and spent money on them. His friend next to him tho, was wowed by my AKG's and much prefered them over the cheap plasticy, bass, bass and more bass earpollutions. And others that have tested my AKG's love em, listening to lady gaga they said it sounds as if you were in a club, and that you could hear all the music. I dont have real high end headphones tho, so :frowning2:

May 31, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #2,141 of 6,432
Disagree. The earpads are awesome, but the headband sucks (IMO)

Quote:

Sony XB series. 'Nuff said.

The DT series are very comfortable, but I'd say the best comes from the Denon AH-D series. They're amazingly comfortable. The Beyer velours are nice, but they clamp a bit tighter than the Denons, thus giving the Denon a step up (IMO).

Quote:
One thing that I give credit for Bose for is their earpadding. Is that genuine leather? Its veeerrryyy soft and comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. That said, my headphones aren't high on the comfort scale at all, so you could have me rejoicing over a pair of headphones that just did me a favor and threw me a bone in that direction.

What is a comfy pair of headphones? Are the Beyer DT880's comfy?

May 31, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #2,145 of 6,432
Meh, I was just curious. I was considering looking around for another pair of phones, and I was interested in exploring the sound signature of the 880's. Can anyone confirm if it sounds similar to Grados, but with a larger soundstage and just some slight general differences? Grado 225i's are what I also was considering, but I'm not sure anymore...
Also I don't think I could afford the 880's, they're a little too expensive for me and plus I'd probably have to go ahead and take the plunge at some kind of amp, mostly considering the E7/E9 combo but again, probably too much to invest in the short term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back