Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
May 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #2,086 of 6,432

Quote:
what is value, really? I mean we (humans) put values on things, I mean why s diamond expensive? They really don't do anything.  I am assuming guys here don't care much about diamonds, but if we put a lower value on diamonds they wouldn't be as desired.  I think the same for bags. Girls want them want the expensive ones because they are expensive.  If a prada bag can be bought for significantly less, I am willing to bet that women  wouldn't desire them as much. Well cars are different, you can actually tell why another car is more expensive than another. 

aren't diamonds expensive because of how rare they are. you have to invest time and money to find diamonds plus the cutting and moulding. that is why they cost so much. headphones generally feel cheap to me. even the better built ones still seem cheap. that is why people feel that they are a waste of money. personally i find enjoyment out of them so i feel the price is to an extent justified.

May 29, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #2,087 of 6,432
Diamonds aren't actually that obscenely rare, as far as precious minerals go (hell, the Jwaneng mine in Botswana produces something on the order of 2500kg of diamonds a year) - it's just that most human cultures value them so much (for one reason or another) that the prices are so high. Y'know, huge demand, low supply... (Well, "low supply" can vary in meaning, depending on whether or not you believe that there exists an international diamond cartel that fixes the prices of diamonds.)

Literally, the main reason why diamonds cost so much? Because of marketing that tells people that diamonds are worth so much. Outside of industrial applications, diamonds (in fact, pretty much all jewelry) have no use to a human.

-- Griffinhart

May 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,088 of 6,432
or if you re smart you could just get a man made diamond for much cheaper
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #2,089 of 6,432
Quote:
I Think this has more to do with cars being perceived as complicated. The point is that there is no 5$ car equivalent that will work 70-80% as well as a BMW. Combine that with the fact that things people spend a lot of money on have evolved over time as luxury things meant for rich people, this is why it is good to spend money on it.

I don't know about that, an Infiniti G35 sedan is not too far away from a BMW and believe or not neither is some of the more mainstream automakers like Hyundai(yes really, I'm totally serious).  With the way automotive technology has progressed over the last 10 years, the gap between traditional luxury brands and mainstream brands has(in my opinion) lessened considerably.

May 29, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,090 of 6,432
Wow, amazing to see how far this thread has come. First headphones, now we're on to the estimated value of diamonds and vehicles? Talk about a never ending thread that keeps on entertaining.
popcorn.gif

May 29, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,091 of 6,432
Quote:
Diamonds aren't actually that obscenely rare, as far as precious minerals go (hell, the Jwaneng mine in Botswana produces something on the order of 2500kg of diamonds a year) - it's just that most human cultures value them so much (for one reason or another) that the prices are so high. Y'know, huge demand, low supply... (Well, "low supply" can vary in meaning, depending on whether or not you believe that there exists an international diamond cartel that fixes the prices of diamonds.)

Literally, the main reason why diamonds cost so much? Because of marketing that tells people that diamonds are worth so much. Outside of industrial applications, diamonds (in fact, pretty much all jewelry) have no use to a human.

There's also the De Beers monopoly...

May 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,092 of 6,432

Quote:
Wow, amazing to see how far this thread has come. First headphones, now we're on to the estimated value of diamonds and vehicles? Talk about a never ending thread that keeps on entertaining.
popcorn.gif

I think I broke the thread asking why car modifications aren't frowned upon like headphone buying is :frowning2:

May 29, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2,093 of 6,432
Hey, car modifications are awesome. Theres nothing wrong with that.

I myself am currently working on a Honda Civic concept car drawing atm, there's nothing wrong with that. :wink:

May 29, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2,094 of 6,432

Quote:
what is value, really? I mean we (humans) put values on things, I mean why s diamond expensive? They really don't do anything.  I am assuming guys here don't care much about diamonds, but if we put a lower value on diamonds they wouldn't be as desired.  I think the same for bags. Girls want them want the expensive ones because they are expensive.  If a prada bag can be bought for significantly less, I am willing to bet that women  wouldn't desire them as much. Well cars are different, you can actually tell why another car is more expensive than another. 

Of course, the worth of something is in the eyes of the beholder - obviously diamonds wouldn't be so expensive if nobody would buy them.  And while they can be useful, nobody would ever use diamonds for jewelry for industrial purposes...those are always just synthetic diamonds and are pretty much worthless, at least to a normal person.

Still though, things like gold and silver are expensive because they're fairly rare and actually have uses outside of jewelry - though silver is a little less useful than gold, from what I understand (audiophile cables don't count, that's pretty much the diamond value argument again).

May 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #2,095 of 6,432
Well, aside from the fact that some countries use gold to back up their currency (not the US, though; the USD is backed by... uh, confidence... and faith?), gold's a pretty darn good conductor. Silver ions/compounds are more useful medically, though.

-- Griffinhart

May 29, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #2,096 of 6,432

Quote:
Well, aside from the fact that some countries use gold to back up their currency (not the US, though; the USD is backed by... uh, confidence... and faith?), gold's a pretty darn good conductor. Silver ions/compounds are more useful medically, though.

-- Griffinhart

I don't think it's that gold's a good conductor as much as it doesn't oxidize or corrode at all...from what I understand, gold actually conducts worse than copper, and definitely worse than silver.

May 29, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #2,097 of 6,432
May 30, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2,098 of 6,432

Quote:
I don't think it's that gold's a good conductor as much as it doesn't oxidize or corrode at all...from what I understand, gold actually conducts worse than copper, and definitely worse than silver.

As far as I know this is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back