Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Apr 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #1,711 of 6,432
Haha, that's so true. I have spent so much money because of this site. Matter of fact, I just bought a Musical Fidality V-DAC.

Quote:
Quote:
I would say that you're not only paying for beauty. Apple's build quality is not for the average consumer. Take for example their cinema displays, as a photographer I find them extremely useful because they're calibrated so well. This also applies to software that's exclusive to OSX, such as Aperture.

If you want into the audiophile field, how many laptops do you know that offer a toslink output and a decent internal DAC out of the box?
With that being said, I also have to express my utter despise for Beats and Bose products. Since in my opinion, they're overpriced and of bad quality.

Oh yeah, regarding campus headphones. I was wearing my SR80i's at the library, and this guy walked past me wearing the same headphones. He stopped, looked at me and said "Grado FTW".

I mean...yeah...you're paying for the beauty of the screen. I include that in things Apple does right category. Their screens are amazing...I could also argue that you pay for the beauty of a hassle free OS, too. That's going a bit too far though. Yeah, some of their exclusive software is very nice.

As far as the DAC comment goes though...Sure it may be nice right out of the box...but as is the way of Head-Fi, it'll be replaced in about...5 seconds. lol

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #1,712 of 6,432
High school kids.
Enough said.
popcorn.gif

Quote:
I really enjoyed this thread when I first got here but now I'm starting to dislike it. What happens is that new self proclaimed audiophiles come here with their $100-some dollar headphones and show people how good they are. Reading some (not all- there are lots of head-fi'ers in this thread that I respect) of these stories, it often seems that these "audiophiles" come across as pretentious and elitist. Again, not all of these posts are elitist. I'd like to make a few points:

-Having something other than Beats/skullcandy/bose does not make you better than someone else

-the fact that you can tell the difference between iBuds and "high end headphones" does not make you better than someone else

-purchasing Beats/skullcandy/bose does not mean you are stupid or deaf

-Hating/abstaining from mainstream music does not necessarily mean you are cool or unique

-If you don't have and audiophile headphones, that does not mean you don't like music

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #1,713 of 6,432
Well, all i've got is a pair of Audio Technica ESW9 and a Mini^3, so i'm not claiming to be an audiophile or anything, but still after letting some of my friends have a listen, the most common comment is something like:
"What, there's no surround sound in them?!"
"I guess they're alright"
"They look funny"
Or just "Meh"

So yeah, i'll just keep them to myself :) 
But still, it wasn't more than a year ago or so, that i was listening to Skullcandy's, so i get why they might not like them that much :)

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #1,714 of 6,432
Well I own the gear in my signature block, but I still OC my i7 920.
biggrin.gif
 I don't OC my GTX580s (two GTX580s running in SLi) though.
beyersmile.png

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #1,715 of 6,432
I haven't been paying attention to the video card scene lately, but I've personally never owned one that benefited much from an OC. There are probably a few out there which do though.

If you do any kind of serious number crunching though, CPUs are another story.

What I don't get is why someone wouldn't try, even if they hardly ever needed the extra performance since its free. Last I checked some people were managing to get 4GHz out of 920s with the stock cooler. That's not exactly common, I only got 3.9 with a big-ass Noctua with dual 120mm fans. It may not be worth it to buy a fancy heatsink or water cooling system if you don't do something that will benefit from the OC from time to time, but why not take a little bit extra for free?

My gold standard for stability is 24 hours of Prime95 and any decent board will take it until you're ready to upgrade for some other reason. Like I said above, my PC was recently on for almost 6 straight months with no shutdown or reboot, so I don't see how stability or longevity is an issue for a desktop PC as opposed to a server, whether mission critical or just something that you'll never need to upgrade and don't want to ever replace.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #1,717 of 6,432
You'll look like an alien, but it works very well to block out 80% of the sound..but if you're like me, you'll probably never hear the car come crashing into you..

Quote:
@Icy

I use my M50s for portable use. Coiled cable. Works for me because 1. I can just stuff it into the bag after folding it up and stuff it into my backpack, and 2. I can put it around my neck.

XB700s on the other hand.. no idea.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #1,719 of 6,432
I haven't been paying attention to the video card scene lately, but I've personally never owned one that benefited much from an OC. There are probably a few out there which do though.

What I don't get is why someone wouldn't try, even if they hardly ever needed the extra performance since its free. Last I checked some people were managing to get 4GHz out of 920s with the stock cooler. That's not exactly common, I only got 3.9 with a big-ass Noctua with dual 120mm fans. It may not be worth it to buy a fancy heatsink or water cooling system if you don't do something that will benefit from the OC from time to time, but why not take a little bit extra for free?

My gold standard for stability is 24 hours of Prime95 and any decent board will take it until you're ready to upgrade for some other reason. Like I said above, my PC was recently on for almost 6 straight months with no shutdown or reboot, so I don't see how stability or longevity is an issue for a desktop PC as opposed to a server, whether mission critical or just something that you'll never need to upgrade and don't want to ever replace.

24 hours is a long time. The longest I've ever was 12. If it's not going to crash when I'm team fortress twoing then I'm not worried.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #1,720 of 6,432
IMHO, OC is not worth it except in very limited cases.

90% of the time, your computer is idle, OC wouldn't bring anything to it, and while starting Firefox a bit quicker is cool, saving one second here and there isn't that important.

For gamers, OCing the CPU doesn't improve the performance much, it also makes the computer more prone to overheating while fully loaded. For people working on heavy image/video/simulation/science softwares, reliability is paramount, more important than 25% more speed. The only case where OC would matter is amateur video editing (or similar multimedia apps) where reliability is not a concern.

Quote:

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #1,721 of 6,432
IMHO, OC is not worth it except in very limited cases.

90% of the time, your computer is idle, OC wouldn't bring anything to it, and while starting Firefox a bit quicker is cool, saving one second here and there isn't that important.

For gamers, OCing the CPU doesn't improve the performance much, it also makes the computer more prone to overheating while fully loaded. For people working on heavy image/video/simulation/science softwares, reliability is paramount, more important than 25% more speed. The only case where OC would matter is amateur video editing (or similar multimedia apps) where reliability is not a concern.

No...His point is you can get free STABLE performance from an OC. A computer that overheats is not stable. If you can run a PC with an OC like that for 24 hours straight full load, it's stable, and won't over heat when editing anything. OCing can be just as reliable as the stock speed...

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #1,722 of 6,432
I've got my machine running at 4.4ghz on a i7-950.  24/7 stable, tested with multiple burn tests left running for 24 hours each.  GRANTED, as we get closer to summer, I'll have to monitor that, but at 4.4ghz I had maxed around 71C on the hottest core, so hopefully since we'll be running AC I won't have to go below 4.2ghz.  I would hardly call this kind of OC free, though.  A GOOD STABLE OC requires time researching parts with good synergy (RAM, CPU, MOBO), a GOOD heatsink (I went with the Megahalem Rev.B), a knowledge of what thermalpaste is and how it should be applied, a good push/pull fan setup on the heatsink coupled with good airflow in the case, at least a basic knowledge of CMOS settings and CPU operation principles as wel as Windows halt codes... and finally... the time and willingness to perform constant maintenance to prevent dust buildup inside and outside the case (points of air entry.)  Hell, I know a lot of people who refuse to perform regular maintenance on their computers... so much dust....

There are two other reasons to OC: competition and Folding@Home.

Back to the topic, though, I had bought my DT990 600s a couple months ago and my fiance humored me on it saying that they would make me happy, but ok.  I asked her if she wanted to get a pair of nice headphones and she scoffed saying her skullcandy earbuds were enough.

About two weeks ago I got her to listen to an orchestral piece through my DT990s.  I could see her posture in the chair melt a little bit and after a few minutes of her just sitting there with her eyes closed she whispered, "Oh my God... I can actually hear where the violin is being played from... it's like I'm sitting in the theater!"

Now she wanted a pair of nice IEMs after her skullcandys break.  :)

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #1,723 of 6,432
I've got my machine running at 4.4ghz on a i7-950.  24/7 stable, tested with multiple burn tests left running for 24 hours each.  GRANTED, as we get closer to summer, I'll have to monitor that, but at 4.4ghz I had maxed around 71C on the hottest core, so hopefully since we'll be running AC I won't have to go below 4.2ghz.  I would hardly call this kind of OC free, though.  A GOOD STABLE OC requires time researching parts with good synergy (RAM, CPU, MOBO), a GOOD heatsink (I went with the Megahalem Rev.B), a knowledge of what thermalpaste is and how it should be applied, a good push/pull fan setup on the heatsink coupled with good airflow in the case, at least a basic knowledge of CMOS settings and CPU operation principles as wel as Windows halt codes... and finally... the time and willingness to perform constant maintenance to prevent dust buildup inside and outside the case (points of air entry.)  Hell, I know a lot of people who refuse to perform regular maintenance on their computers... so much dust....

There are two other reasons to OC: competition and Folding@Home.

Back to the topic, though, I had bought my DT990 600s a couple months ago and my fiance humored me on it saying that they would make me happy, but ok.  I asked her if she wanted to get a pair of nice headphones and she scoffed saying her skullcandy earbuds were enough.

About two weeks ago I got her to listen to an orchestral piece through my DT990s.  I could see her posture in the chair melt a little bit and after a few minutes of her just sitting there with her eyes closed she whispered, "Oh my God... I can actually hear where the violin is being played from... it's like I'm sitting in the theater!"

Now she wanted a pair of nice IEMs after her skullcandys break.  :)

I enjoy Folding a regular basis.

Also. My fiancee does that as well..."Well, I know it makes you happy..." And I just kind of accept that for now...I liked closed cans for the most part, but once I get a pair of Grados I think she'll start to come around.

Oh and..."Honey, where are my earbuds?" "I don't know. I think they had a run in with Mr. Hammer last night. Guess you have to buy new ones!"

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #1,724 of 6,432
LOL I expect her to come to me pretty soon saying they broke.  To be fair she uses them a LOT at work.  I know those SCs don't have a huge production value so I don't give them long.  I just need to find a good pair of IEMs for her to use that aren't going for a fortune.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #1,725 of 6,432
LOL I expect her to come to me pretty soon saying they broke.  To be fair she uses them a LOT at work.  I know those SCs don't have a huge production value so I don't give them long.  I just need to find a good pair of IEMs for her to use that aren't going for a fortune.

Oh man...If she uses them at work you've got to build her a portable desk rig. lol

In all seriousness though, I'm looking for new IEMs myself, thinking of going with the FA DBA-02...Not much of an IEM person, but I do need them every now and then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back