Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Apr 13, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #1,681 of 6,432
Double post.

Hehe. I was just kidding around with the posers comment. 
tongue_smile.gif
 My own graphics card is (factory) overclocked by quite a fair bit. 

About software: yeah, it isn't for everyone. I think that, in total, I've actually cursed at code more than I've cursed at human beings. :|
On the note of hardware: Have you checked out electrical engineering? That's tough stuff, but you can make some sweet things with it.

In response to those comparing stock Intel i7s and AMD chips: I agree with Griffinhart in that clock speeds don't mean very much anymore. The architecture, instruction sets, features like speed stepping, etc. matter a lot more now.  AMD has excellent processors for the price, but I'd personally pick Intel for my next processor in the $200-$300 range because of the architecture.

I'm looking into something along those lines. My dream job is actually more along the lines of design more than anything. I'd love to start doing media servers within people's homes, and fully integrating them into the home through some of the more recent developments in things like touchscreen tech. I love appreciating music, and using well written software, but I can't make music...or write code without wanting to shoot myself after an hour or so.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #1,682 of 6,432

Quote:

I'd love to get a portable rig but I've yet to here in IEMs I like. Problem is that I enjoy the open airy sounds of full size headphones and I don't know of any IEMs that can provide that. That and the fact that I would have to buy an MP3 player and I'm short on funds as it is. I think I want to upgrade my home rig first though, like I said I think I going to save up for some LCD 2s a Burson 160d and maybe get a nice turntable like the Rega RP1 haha I can dream right?

UE triple fi 10 baby, the soundstage is amazing for IEMs, I did not believe it was possible for iems to have soundstage until I heard these, beat the crap out of my open sennheisers. And they are not that expensive compared to other iems, ugly as hell, but they sound amazing.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #1,684 of 6,432
I don't care what you guys say...Overclocking is where its at. My q6600s been at 3.5 ghz prime stable on air for years =P its pretty hard to kill hardware unless you push it wayyy to far, or just don't know what your doing at all. O_o

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #1,685 of 6,432
Negligible performance boost in our opinion. It's like saving a couple tens of dollars, maybe a hundred at most, while running the risk of burning out your hardware at an accelerated rate. Most of the big advantages that come from upgrading hardware isn't from directly upping clocks-per-cycle; it's more to do with the architecture and instructions sets (at least, with CPUs). E.g., I could overclock a Pentium 4 to whatever I want, that won't magically grant it the SSE4 instruction set; or I could overclock my old-as-hell nVIDIA 7800GTX (not in my current machine; it's stuck in an older box on the other side of the continent), but that won't make it capable of DX11. Same thing with memory; you can overclock your RAM, but that doesn't give you more of it.

-- Griffinhart

I guess it depends what you're doing. With video editing and compression it gives you a huge boost.

Most games? Probably not so much.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #1,687 of 6,432
@turimbar1 I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever get into IEMs thanks for that tid bit. 

The way I look at overclocking is that its free performance. I've overclocked probably around 30 machines and not one has ever given me problems. I mean the performance gain might be subtle but its free so why not take it?

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #1,688 of 6,432
I guess it depends what you're doing. With video editing and compression it gives you a huge boost.

Most games? Probably not so much.

Also, because I'm paranoid, all the disks on my desktop are encrypted with TrueCrypt and I'd like it to eat as little performance as possible.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #1,689 of 6,432

Quote:

Hehe. I was just kidding around with the posers comment. 
tongue_smile.gif
 My own graphics card is (factory) overclocked by quite a fair bit. 

About software: yeah, it isn't for everyone. I think that, in total, I've actually cursed at code more than I've cursed at human beings. :|
On the note of hardware: Have you checked out electrical engineering? That's tough stuff, but you can make some sweet things with it.

In response to those comparing stock Intel i7s and AMD chips: I agree with Griffinhart in that clock speeds don't mean very much anymore. The architecture, instruction sets, features like speed stepping, etc. matter a lot more now.  AMD has excellent processors for the price, but I'd personally pick Intel for my next processor in the $200-$300 range because of the architecture.

The professor was peeved at the pupils' pinneas' powerlessness to perceive the PortaPro‽

You don't know much Apple's has gained world dom... influence over the market anywhere, any place in the world where you buy stuff from apple is a hipster/trendy thing, PortaPro are completely unheard around these corners, minus importers no one actually sees them, Bose world domination as the "good headphones" even reach these southern parts of the world, so I try my best at any occasion to change that implanted idea on my students.

As for the geek part of the convo, I stopped oc'ing because I was nearing 80ºC trying to make all the VSTs working on sonar/ableton/reason.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #1,690 of 6,432

Quote:
2) Why on earth would I buy an i7 and not plan to OC it? Price to stock speed wise they're not that great...but they OC like a friggin' monster.

I have neither need nor reason to overclock my i7-930. Joyeuse can run ArmA2 on high settings while doing other nonsense in the background and pull 30-40FPS. THat's all I need. (ArmA2 being the most taxing game I enjoy playing.)

Quote:
why on earth would you buy an intel core i7 when you can get the equivalent in amd for 1/3 the price. i always think of intel as the business cpu.

lolno. AMD's been in the bin ever since Intel launched the Core i3/5/7s, more or less. Better core architecture.

Quote:

Also, because of this. +1

Quote:
this thread has been overrun by the geek squad

Nah brah nah, most people I've met that worked on Geek Squad didn't know jack about soft or hardware. They do nonsense like overcharge you to format and hookup your PS3. I mean, really? Heck, as long as you have like, fifth-grade reading comprehension and can recognize basic shapes and colors, that's not a particularly difficult task. I've yet to meet a Geek Squadder that can figure his way around installing FreeBSD onto a plug computer.

Quote:
Also, because I'm paranoid, all the disks on my desktop are encrypted with TrueCrypt and I'd like it to eat as little performance as possible.

/highfive

@Topic: so it seems like the non-audiophiles that I regularly run into on campus are warming up to the idea of quality cans. I had them take a listen to my KSC75s, they pretty much expressed wonder and amazement at the SQ for the price ("What? $15? That's awesome!"). On girl actually asked me today to borrow my KSC75s to test a song... I let her do so with my XM6. When she flipped the bass boost off, she said something along the lines of "Wow, the song like, disappears if your turn off the bass." So I offered to bring in my DT770s tomorrow (well, today as of now). :3

-- Griffinhart

PS. None of Joyeuse's components run hotter than about 65C (that being the video card, an ATI Radeon HD5750), even under stress. At her current load right at this very minute, nothing's hotter than 47C (that being Core 0). The fanciest bit of cooling I have is a Zalman heatsink (CNPS9900, IIRC), but I swear by Zalman (+ Arctic Silver for the paste, of course).

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #1,692 of 6,432
Sort of back on topic...  I was sitting in class next to some dude wearing some white Beats, thinking he was the shizzle, sort of looking around to make sure people were checking out his gear.

I was about to slap him silly.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #1,693 of 6,432
Sort of back on topic...  I was sitting in class next to some dude wearing some white Beats, thinking he was the shizzle, sort of looking around to make sure people were checking out his gear.

I was about to slap him silly.

Buy a replacement cable for his Beats
Ask to see them because you think they're cool
Slice his cable
His face when
Give him the new one and use the phrase 'get some real gear' somewhere as you walk away

...or something to that effect

I'll put this on the list of 'things I would do if they wouldn't make me puke with nervousness of retaliation'.

EDIT: And the list of things I'd do if I were a jerk.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #1,695 of 6,432
I see so many people with beats at my college, most of them act like they are THE crap cause they spent $300 on a pair of headphones......:rolleyes:

Well I'm obviously slightly over twice as cool as them, considering I just bought a new pair of D7000s.

Logic at its best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back