Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #1,306 of 6,432

Quote:
Upon hearing this my face would probably be like this:
atsmile.gif

Well done fellow countryman.
biggrin.gif

Thanks =D
sometimes i feel that you and me are the only brazilian guys here.

Quote:
...most people scoff at spending more than $30-$50.
Then I see all these kids walking around with Beats which cost them at least $200!

Or they use iBuds
smily_headphones1.gif

----
Actually, is good that skullcandy and beats "born", if it weren't for them, i wouldn't be listening to my M50 right now
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #1,307 of 6,432
Don't let other people try out your cans and turn up the volume on the player AND the amp all the way. I srsly think my drivers are killed...

In particular, this one person who only knows bass tried on my K518LEs, turned on 'Bass Booster' on my iPod, turned my amp AND my iPod up all the way, and played some filthy dubstep... and gave them back and said "Meh, they are OK... not enough bass"...

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,308 of 6,432

Quote:
Don't let other people try out your cans and turn up the volume on the player AND the amp all the way. I srsly think my drivers are killed...

In particular, this one person who only knows bass tried on my K518LEs, turned on 'Bass Booster' on my iPod, turned my amp AND my iPod up all the way, and played some filthy dubstep... and gave them back and said "Meh, they are OK... not enough bass"...

THIS. Omg I hate when people kill drivers that way. and when they're so careless with them like pulling my HD600 ear cord off by the cord and not the actual jack portion

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #1,309 of 6,432

Quote:

that's why you should use the amp in conjunction with a line out

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #1,311 of 6,432
i brought my SR60i today to school..
immediately my friends are queueing to try...

and they loved it...
i played ultrasone test CD tho.

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #1,312 of 6,432
Hence why I control the volume for non-audiophiles trying out my cans. They just don't know... Of my friends I only know of one that listens like I do... and he can't ever listen to my cans since he is half way around the world from me.

Quote:

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #1,313 of 6,432
I know someone who's an amateur music producer but only uses indiscriminate low-end Big Lots headphones. And not even the decent ones - zero research goes into selecting them.

He's extremely opinionated, and when I've gushed to him about headphones in the past he's ridiculed me for caring about sound quality. He insists that being hung up on sound quality actually demonstrates a lack of true appreciation for music on my part. Which I guess would be an acceptable contrarian opinion if it were coming from someone whose preference is thin super-low-fi and blown out garage punk or something, but he's into electronic and hip-hop!

I lent him my Sennheiser 555s(not exactly mindblowing, but a huge step up from Big Lots equipment) for a few weeks, and he scoffed and went back to his $13 "Mega Bass" HAV-560 JVCs. He's not exactly strapped for cash either, so it isn't about money. He actually hears no difference!

I think most people have a two dimensional appreciation of music - they genuinely think that if you can hear the vocals and get a vague impression of the backing music, then you have the full appreciation of a song. Producers go out of their way to intricately layer all sorts of detail to their music, only to have it fly completely over the heads of the average listener.

Good luck with that production career!

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #1,314 of 6,432
Quote:

Ooo, that gets me! There is no appreciation in good sound with some people. That's why Beats, Bose, and Skullcandy headphones still exist...

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,315 of 6,432
My mom's reaction to the DT770's*non-fartcannons*"OH MY GOOOODDDDD, no wonder they cost 250$ don't buy me these they are to spendy...no matter how much I love them" sadly I couldn't get them for her T>T

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #1,316 of 6,432
Depends on the genre for me though... I love a nice, heavy bass with great impact, especially for dubstep and drum n' bass, but I need my treble and mids too... cutting out that would sound horrid...

Quote:

Ooo, that gets me! There is no appreciation in good sound with some people. That's why Beats, Bose, and Skullcandy headphones still exist...

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,318 of 6,432
Didn't you know that? I figured that out when I could hear people's music through my TMA-1s or my HJE900s. Given I don't listen at high volumes, but... when the guy is 20 feet away and I can still hear the music over the subway, through the isolation of my headphones and for the music to be noticeable over my music... I consider those people deaf. I'll be the one laughing in 20 years when I still have my hearing and everyone else needs hearing aids! 

Quote:
Are people seriously deaf these days? Full volume?

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #1,319 of 6,432

Quote:
Didn't you know that? I figured that out when I could hear people's music through my TMA-1s or my HJE900s. Given I don't listen at high volumes, but... when the guy is 20 feet away and I can still hear the music over the subway, through the isolation of my headphones and for the music to be noticeable over my music... I consider those people deaf. I'll be the one laughing in 20 years when I still have my hearing and everyone else needs hearing aids! 

I have mixed opinions on this. I think that it is good to listen at low volumes for the sake of you ears. However, not everything in this world is low volume. There may just be that one time when theres a huge sound when you're walking on the street and you go deaf because you're not used to the sudden change of volume while another person 5 feet behind you doesnt go deaf cause he has been listening to things at high volumes more

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #1,320 of 6,432
Well here is the thing, and this has been proven... It isn't sudden exposure to high dBs that make one go deaf, its extended exposure. http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html. If you hear say a train, its for no more than 2-3 minutes. But people listen to ear splitting music for hours at a time. You can be on the train for about 30 minutes, then you listen before and after. If you are listening at a loud enough volume to be audible from 20 feel away through sound isolating headphones, it has to be at least 100dB. Which is only supposed to be heard for 2 hours per day, and most listen far more than that. On top of that 100 might be hitting it a bit low. I prefer hearing a bit of the outside. Reason is, if something happens I want to be able to react, unfortunately not everyone thinks like that, and have iBuds and other nonisolating earbuds that need to be listened at super high volumes that would allow only the music to be heard. 

In short, they are used to it because they are losing their hearing. Sudden changes do nothing because our ears can handle that.

Quote:
I have mixed opinions on this. I think that it is good to listen at low volumes for the sake of you ears. However, not everything in this world is low volume. There may just be that one time when theres a huge sound when you're walking on the street and you go deaf because you're not used to the sudden change of volume while another person 5 feet behind you doesnt go deaf cause he has been listening to things at high volumes more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back