Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,051 of 6,432
Got my mom to A/B/C my headphones, her reactions were great.She loves the K500 for classical or music with more subtle details in them, the HFI-580's for bass and more like drum oriented music, and the Grados for mettalica*she loves her some mettalica hahaha* This was a great triumph, now I just need to find a can she would like I'm thinking K240*non sextets* and a sansa clip, or something along those lines. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #1,052 of 6,432
Facebook status:

"Ordered a FiiO E5 amp..."

Friend's response:

" What kind of headphones do you have?"

sounds promising :D

Either he also is an audiophile, or googled What that was. Anyways, I don't have any Beats owning friends, mostly just "whatever is $20 and sounds acceptable" for them.

UPDATE: He has Sennheiser 595s on the way :D

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,053 of 6,432
All of my friends have the ipod buds (or something like that) and they say "the sound is fine for me...". Showed them my SRH750DJs today - unamped - my one mate didn't want to give them back lol. When I told them how much they were he left.. (I'm presuming to buy them himself lol). My dad loves premium sound - he has some old phones, don't even remember what they are, but he said they cost 500 pounds to buy in 1990 :O.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,054 of 6,432

Quote:
All of my friends have the ipod buds (or something like that) and they say "the sound is fine for me...". Showed them my SRH750DJs today - unamped - my one mate didn't want to give them back lol. When I told them how much they were he left.. (I'm presuming to buy them himself lol). My dad loves premium sound - he has some old phones, don't even remember what they are, but he said they cost 500 pounds to buy in 1990 :O.

i let a friend of mine listen to mine with similar results he didnt want to give them back and he was listening to metal on them. i think the shure 750dj are good for most genres of music. they have a wicked sound stage for a closed can.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #1,055 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

i let a friend of mine listen to mine with similar results he didnt want to give them back and he was listening to metal on them. i think the shure 750dj are good for most genres of music. they have a wicked sound stage for a closed can.

Yup - can't wait to see which I perfer, M50s or 750dj..

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #1,056 of 6,432
I'm glad people at my school don't go bragging about their Bose/Beats/Skullcandy headphones, I never actually saw full-size headphones in the school, most people use iPod earbuds or other earphones. But there's this one kid who got Beats Studio and the comments on Facebook were: 

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,057 of 6,432
hahaha, what a tool.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,058 of 6,432
Overall reactions to my AKG K518LEs were comments on how good the look, how good they sound, and how sturdy they appear. Only complaint I got from my friend who wanted the same ones with less bass and more treble

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #1,059 of 6,432

Quote:
Overall reactions to my AKG K518LEs were comments on how good the look, how good they sound, and how sturdy they appear. Only complaint I got from my friend who wanted the same ones with less bass and more treble

Now there's an audiophile! Already at stage 2.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #1,060 of 6,432
My dorm mates have all loved my Miniwatt N3 and DT880 combo. "Less bass than my beats", they always say, but a few are coming around. 

The soundstage is the first thing they comment on. Its a very foreign concept to most headphone owners. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #1,061 of 6,432
My brother-in-law was over yesterday on a visit from Virginia and he basically uses whatever works with his ipod, I think he still uses the stock i-buds and constantly complains about them shocking him if his ipod is in his pocket.

I handed him my Portapros, turned on this:

I didn't get them back until he left. He's buying a pair when he gets back home in VA.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #1,062 of 6,432

Quote:
I'm glad people at my school don't go bragging about their Bose/Beats/Skullcandy headphones, I never actually saw full-size headphones in the school, most people use iPod earbuds or other earphones. But there's this one kid who got Beats Studio and the comments on Facebook were: 

what a fool. i tried these today at best buy and they sound worse then my $80 pioneer se m390s.

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,063 of 6,432
I just thought of a weird story. For the past few years, my dad has been using Bose earbuds. Not sure of the model, but they're older and not IEMs, cost him $100. Anyway, this summer they broke, and he replaced them with a pair of $6 clearance rack earbuds. Says he can't hear a difference. 
blink.gif
I know that Bose aren't quite the best value around, but they're not that bad... Some people really just can't hear it.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,064 of 6,432

Quote:
I just thought of a weird story. For the past few years, my dad has been using Bose earbuds. Not sure of the model, but they're older and not IEMs, cost him $100. Anyway, this summer they broke, and he replaced them with a pair of $6 clearance rack earbuds. Says he can't hear a difference. 
blink.gif
I know that Bose aren't quite the best value around, but they're not that bad... Some people really just can't hear it.

i tend to agree with you bose isn't terrible. but you can get much better for far less. i tried some bose at best buy the other day and they sounded alright for noise cancelling cans.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,065 of 6,432
I let a buddy listen to a pair of knock-off canals and he thought they sounded amazing. He was impressed by the name (Dre), not the SQ. Hmmm . . . the power of suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back