Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #797 of 6,432
If i let people at university try my SR80's i usually say goodbye to them for the rest of the night, and they keep coming back for more.
Also one dude was listening to them the other night, admittedly after drinking a few beers, and when he closed his eyes he had to take them off a few seconds later because he said he was so immersed he felt like he was falling and was going to be sick 
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #798 of 6,432

i bought a mazdaspeed 3 after researching all the cars in my interest group and found that to be the best bang for the buck. same with my ATH M50's. same with my asus g73 laptop. i also own 2 motorcycles haha weird
Quote:
Quote:
Wellll we are geeks after all, and geeking out over one product type (headphones) is likely indicative of our propensity to geek out over most other things too. So it's unsurprising that we're wired to research many of our purchases, whereas other people might not be so. For example, mralexosborn is picky about coffee; so am I, to the extent that I got my own grinder and refuse to buy beans from anywhere that doesn't do its own roasting (which is rare in Singapore). 

Perhaps it's just that we are most picky about headphones, out of all our purchases, and hence we are here.

Also, estreeter: I don't like you and your "reality"...
tongue_smile.gif

I think it's a matter of passion.  I have ADHD and a particular component of that is that I get rather fixated on things for long enough to learn about them.  I rarely get to the bottom of it, but I get enough info to know what I may want.  I own a Mazdaspeed3 because, after research and test-drives and comparing and weighing all input, it was just the right car for me.  The compromises were okay because of the utility.

I'm just as passionate about motorcycles - not just 'any' bike would do.  As a matter of fact, I own no motorcycle right now because I know what I want and am willing to wait to get it instead of just riding anything.

So yeah - people with a particular passion about quality would be the kind of people who would be here - and the same kinds of people who would be offended by Dre Beats, etc - not because they cost, but because they cost for the wrong reasons.

IMHO.

(Yeah - I'm a newb - I don't have anything even remotely 'audiophile' yet - just Grado SR80i and an E7 - but judging by my constant researching my 'next set' - I think I've got the bug - at least for now).

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #799 of 6,432
I let my grandpa try my K702. He only listens to classical music (A LOT) and he went like "wow, these sound amazing!". Next day he shows up at my front door with a brand new pair of 702s. HOWEVER, a few days later he gets home and tells me "I just made a great deal, check out these headphones, they're meant to be used with your iPod and they sound great, just like the AKGs!" And he pulls out a pair of Beats Solo. Ok, he's 81 and people tend to partially lose their hearing as they get old but still... 

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #800 of 6,432

i bought a mazdaspeed 3 after researching all the cars in my interest group and found that to be the best bang for the buck. same with my ATH M50's. same with my asus g73 laptop. i also own 2 motorcycles haha weird

Another MS3 owner here! You're right about bang for the buck!

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #801 of 6,432

Quote:
If i let people at university try my SR80's i usually say goodbye to them for the rest of the night, and they keep coming back for more.
Also one dude was listening to them the other night, admittedly after drinking a few beers, and when he closed his eyes he had to take them off a few seconds later because he said he was so immersed he felt like he was falling and was going to be sick 
biggrin.gif

Good thing that he wasn't wearing a K701 or anything else with a ton of soundstage, or else you'd have some cleaning to do...

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #802 of 6,432
i let a friend of mine use my shure srh750dj headphones. and her reaction was they sound ok. but they sound a bit off. and when she said a bit off. i asked her why. and she said her $15 earbuds sounded better. made me freakout inside. she was comparing 15$ earbuds to 200$ headphones. like What. ofcourse the shure srh750dj headphones are better.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #803 of 6,432
srh750dj sounds ok, but not great enough to wow her and she is too accustomed to the sound of the earbud.
You need a much better headphone to impress her. Something like R10

Quote:
i let a friend of mine use my shure srh750dj headphones. and her reaction was they sound ok. but they sound a bit off. and when she said a bit off. i asked her why. and she said her $15 earbuds sounded better. made me freakout inside. she was comparing 15$ earbuds to 200$ headphones. like What. ofcourse the shure srh750dj headphones are better.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #804 of 6,432
I noticed a while back that a guy that sits near me at work had a set of Beyer DT770 Pro 80s.  I meant to strike up a conversation with him about them, but never got around to it.  I was passing his desk the other day, and I noticed his Beyers weren't there.  In their place was something from Bose.  Guess he was on Santa's naughty list this Christmas! :D 

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #805 of 6,432

Quote:
srh750dj sounds ok, but not great enough to wow her and she is too accustomed to the sound of the earbud.

LOL, shouldn't we be the ones who build up a tolerance to higher fidelity, and we need the R10s just to get through the day?

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #806 of 6,432

Quote:

Quote:

what do you mean they sound just ok. they sound really good to me. way better then any other pair of headphones i have listened to. i have had  heard the bose and the beats they were the only more expensive headphones and they sound like garbage in comparison.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #807 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

what do you mean they sound just ok. they sound really good to me. way better then any other pair of headphones i have listened to. i have had  heard the bose and the beats they were the only more expensive headphones and they sound like garbage in comparison.

I take it you haven't heard anything else? I've tried the M50's which your Shures supposedly sound like (haven't heard your Shures.) And they sounded pretty meh. Well in regards to how much praise they get. My K271's that I got for $60 are more to my tastes. Heck, my $6 KSC75's are more to my tastes (Sound sig-wise. The M50's are technically better, I don't really care about minute technicalities at this price range? (<$100.) The differences are pretty noticeable, but for the genres most people use the M50's for, I don't expect to be able to hear if a saxophone player is wearing a corduroy shirt. )  than the somewhat V-curved M50's. Not to say they're bad, just not to my tastes.

And if your friend likes her earbuds, then cool. Maybe she feels they sound more open or something. Or your Shures have too much bass.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #808 of 6,432

I take it you haven't heard anything else? I've tried the M50's which your Shures supposedly sound like (haven't heard your Shures.) And they sounded pretty meh. Well in regards to how much praise they get. My K271's that I got for $60 are more to my tastes. Heck, my $6 KSC75's are more to my tastes (Sound sig-wise. The M50's are technically better, I don't really care about minute technicalities at this price range? (<$100.) The differences are pretty noticeable, but for the genres most people use the M50's for, I don't expect to be able to hear if a saxophone player is wearing a corduroy shirt. )  than the somewhat V-curved M50's. Not to say they're bad, just not to my tastes.

And if your friend likes her earbuds, then cool. Maybe she feels they sound more open or something. Or your Shures have too much bass.

I don't have many options to listen to high end. There are no stores that sell high end around where I live. And no one understands high end audio. Oh and for your information I use my shures mostly for rock and metal.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #809 of 6,432

Quote:

I don't have many options to listen to high end. There are no stores that sell high end around where I live. And no one understands high end audio. Oh and for your information I use my shures mostly for rock and metal.

I'll reserve any caustic comments to myself, and I really have nothing else to say about that. Uhh...cool? That still doesn't really negate the fact that she might have disliked the "closed in" sound most closed headphones this price have. As much as I liked closed headphones, the closed in sound annoys me, so I'm looking for something closed and airy.

Anyways, my friend got V-Moda Vibes and compared them to my Coppers. He looked a bit sad...poor guy.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #810 of 6,432

Quote:

she lost hearing due using the earphones in loud volumes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back