Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 8, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #781 of 6,432

Quote:
I do not have any great kill stories really as I do not have a super nice set of cans yet... but my two kills... sort of fit here even though they are not considered "audiophile" except when your in the back seat of an MD80 with the engines roaring, then they are the most amazing audiophile gear you can get haha! I travel a LOT for work, in planes all the time and a noisy office so I have a set of sennheiser PXC-350's which I LOVE for travel and so forth. So my kill list...

- Kill one: On a plane to Paris and was listening to a movie actually. I notice the guy next to me was listening to his bose (from memory, quiet comfort 3's)?? I think he saw me look at his cans (get your mind out of the gutter haha) and he glanced at mine. He then asked of they were noise canceling and I said yes. He then proceeded to tell me how high end his bose were and that they cost around $2XX dollars. He then stated he had never heard of "sinhoser" So I asked what type of music he listened to, he said some techno, jazz, classical... all around. So I said, do you want to try these? He said sure, so I alcohol prepped the ear pads "sorry I am weird like that" and handed them over. He took out his ipod thingy and started to listen... and listen... and listen so more... and ... more... *LOL* Was probably 10 minutes of listening but felt like an hour. He then took them off and put his back on for about another 3 minutes, took them off, looked at me and said "wow, those really sound nice, where do you get those from? Is that a new company?" So I explained they are an old, well known company, purchased them online. He then asked "how much do they run?" So I told him I see them for around $250-$300 online usually. He sort of set back in the chair with a confused look on his face, took out his blackberry and asked what the model number was on my cans and typed it in. That was the last conversation we had haha!

- Kill two, well not really a kill: Short and sweet, guy at work asked "nice sennheisers", and pronounced them correctly. He said he had been wanting to listen to some as he did not like his phillips.. whatever they are. Asked if he could have a listen, I cleaned them, handed them over and asked what he wanted to listen to, he said metal so I put on "twist of cain" by Danzig and he listened to the whole song, took them off and simply said "wow, those are awesome!" Every once in awhile he mentions that he loved them and is still saving "he travels a lot also so wants NC"

Wish I had better stories than that, but will come in time when I get more gear :D

@ Garage: Stories like the first one fill me with a fuzzy feeling inside.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #782 of 6,432
i let some friends of mine listen to my shure srh750dj headphones and they had one word to say. WOW. they were impressed. and they were more impressed when i told them they were only 150$ about 1/2 the price of the beats.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #783 of 6,432
Great story. I think you just educated a potential head-fier.

Quote:
- Kill one: On a plane to Paris and was listening to a movie actually. I notice the guy next to me was listening to his bose (from memory, quiet comfort 3's)?? I think he saw me look at his cans (get your mind out of the gutter haha) and he glanced at mine. He then asked of they were noise canceling and I said yes. He then proceeded to tell me how high end his bose were and that they cost around $2XX dollars. He then stated he had never heard of "sinhoser" So I asked what type of music he listened to, he said some techno, jazz, classical... all around. So I said, do you want to try these? He said sure, so I alcohol prepped the ear pads "sorry I am weird like that" and handed them over. He took out his ipod thingy and started to listen... and listen... and listen so more... and ... more... *LOL* Was probably 10 minutes of listening but felt like an hour. He then took them off and put his back on for about another 3 minutes, took them off, looked at me and said "wow, those really sound nice, where do you get those from? Is that a new company?" So I explained they are an old, well known company, purchased them online. He then asked "how much do they run?" So I told him I see them for around $250-$300 online usually. He sort of set back in the chair with a confused look on his face, took out his blackberry and asked what the model number was on my cans and typed it in. That was the last conversation we had haha!

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #784 of 6,432
Quote:
I might be horribly wrong, but isn't so that when you compare metal and baroque music, that the structure is very similar? I've been told and I read quite often that the two are very similar.Oh, and Bach is pretty awesome indeed :p

True, true but there is something else you have to keep in mind. If you can visit an organ concert in a church; your typical classic church with a pointy tower with a hall for guests and the space for the choir. In Amsterdam these are classic churches are all made of stone. Visit such an organ concert and if the organist is playing a bombastic Baroque piece you know what I mean by 'unmatched' both in musical terms and in terms of having been there...

Centuries ago some very smart people knew how to build churches that did justice to acoustics for voices (preachers), choirs, instrumentalists and massive organs. Bach knew that too.   

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #785 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
My friend tried my pro 2500s and he replied "They don't sound full."  I listened to his skullcandys with sub-woofers and they sounded so thin and terrible I had to take them off immediately.  When I tried to criticize his headphones he told me to stop trying to act cool. What!!!!!
I have narrowed it down to these causes:
Not wearing it right
Poor Sources
Used to close - I think this is the reason.  His devices of torture (skullcandys) seem to have a noise canceling effect causing pressure on the eardrums.  This makes the air around him seem full, not the sound.  Pro 2500s are open and are designed to be the exact opposite of that,  in other words, the sound was too around him and not in his head.
I'm still pretty disappointed 
triportsad.gif

that's odd. everyone who's tried my K701's has thoroughly enjoyed them, and that's just out of my sound card and itouch

Oops, I only meant one person that tried them.  Sorry for the error.  Not too many people have tried them, only my brother who took them off in ten seconds telling me he heard no difference in sound compared to his generic ibuds, and my dad who thoroughly enjoyed them.
I also think it could have been due to his headphones bloated mid-bass.
He also probably has damaged ears, so the volume may be too low for him and are not firing directly into his eardrums like he likes.
It definitely is not my definition, or even soundwise the definition for full that he uses.  I describe not being full as the drop out of an entire frequency range or very low amount of bass, and the pro 2500s have neither.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #786 of 6,432

Quote:
Centuries ago some very smart people knew how to build churches that did justice to acoustics for voices (preachers), choirs, instrumentalists and massive organs. Bach knew that too.   

This.
Make me wonders how people build concert rooms / building nowadays...... Or is it because building with proper acoustics are very expensive?

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #787 of 6,432

Until I got Mid-Fi cans, I'd have not believed that a song could really bring you to tears.

Viva good sound!

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #788 of 6,432
Good music and crying comes hand in hand.

Getting just goosebumps from music just means your equipment is not good enough.

Quote:

Until I got Mid-Fi cans, I'd have not believed that a song could really bring you to tears.

Viva good sound!

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #789 of 6,432

Quote:
I lot my friend try my pro 2500s and he replied "They don't sound full."  I listened to his skullcandys with sub-woofers and they sounded so thin and terrible I had to take them off immediately.  When I tried to criticize his headphones he told me to stop trying to act cool. What!!!!!
Not wearing it right
Poor Sources
Used to close - I think this is the reason.  His devices of torture (skullcandys) seem to have a noise canceling effect causing pressure on the eardrums.  This makes the air around him seem full, not the sound.  Pro 2500s are open and are designed to be the exact opposite of that,  in other words, the sound was too around him and not in his head.
triportsad.gif

With the S-Logic of Ultrasone it has 4db less of air pressure and it also doesn't funnel into your ear like regular headphones.
They give a much more pleasant listening experience in that way.
Your friend probably thinks bloated bass = full sound or something because I know a skullcandy couldn't touch that headphone in the mids or treble.
Or bass but Ultrasone is quality bass.

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #790 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
I lot my friend try my pro 2500s and he replied "They don't sound full."  I listened to his skullcandys with sub-woofers and they sounded so thin and terrible I had to take them off immediately.  When I tried to criticize his headphones he told me to stop trying to act cool. What!!!!!
Not wearing it right
Poor Sources
triportsad.gif

With the S-Logic of Ultrasone it has 4db less of air pressure and it also doesn't funnel into your ear like regular headphones.
They have a much more pleasant listening experience.
Your friend probably thinks bloated bass = full sound or something.

i would attribute the out of head feeling to the fact that they're open headphones, not because of s-logic or whatever

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #791 of 6,432

Quote:
i would attribute the out of head feeling to the fact that they're open headphones, not because of s-logic or whatever

Could be that it's open but I think open headphones sound more full compared to closed.

But Ultrasone's do have a air pressure drop.

Your friend also could have had them on backwards.
Lots of people put headphones on backwards.
Wearing an Ultrasone backwards sounds weird and very off.

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #792 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Could be that it's open but I think open headphones sound more full compared to closed.

But Ultrasone's do have a air pressure drop.

Your friend also could have had them on backwards.
Lots of people put headphones on backwards.
Wearing an Ultrasone backwards sounds weird and very off.

lol after reading this I tried it out....your right.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #793 of 6,432

I think that he means full feeling and the air pressure drop in ultrasones and the fact that they are open is the cause. His skullcandys put a lot of pressure in your ears when they aren't even playing.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #794 of 6,432
Quote:
Quote:

This.
Make me wonders how people build concert rooms / building nowadays...... Or is it because building with proper acoustics are very expensive?

There are the ways of science and tradition combined with the sense of esthetics for concert halls/rooms look pretty for a reason. Studios do not have to look pretty but the professional recording  rooms/boots are prepared for their purpose. The 'classic' churches, from the gothic (design) era on were built according to certain ideas of how churches had to look in relation with how 'God' should be praised and I guess there was knowledge of how to design spaces for acoustic purposes dating back to at least the Greeks. All very interesting indeed... 

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #795 of 6,432
Stone headphones anyone?

I got a reaction out of a friend after lending him a pair my Koss PortaPro, Etymotic Mc5, Koss KDE/250, and Sennheiser HD238... Which he actually ended up buying from me. Apparently, after he got used to headphones sounding good, he didn't want to wait for new ones to come. He said something along the lines of "you spoiled me, now when I listen to my old headphones, I just take them out again because it's not worth it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back