Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 17, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #391 of 6,432

Quote:
I simply hate people buying inferior products while parading around as though the headphones are great. I understand if they buy the headphones because they don't care because then the person is ignorant, and it wouldn't matter. I also understand if they want to look good, because not everyone enjoys the understated elegance of most headphones. But I refuse to let people buy headphones because they are ill informed. I cannot let my friends buy terrible headphones and wrongly think they're the best out there, simply because they haven't been exposed to anything better. That's my justification anyways. 

If they can't hear a difference, it's usually inexperience or inability. And if they hear a difference, but don't care, there are plenty of things they have that are better than mine, but I simply do not value those things as much as they do. Different people have different hobbies.

Simply I do not like ignorance.

But yeah, my friend tried to steal my HD650s. Thank God I got them back before he did something...

I think those are the bad types of elitists...thinking they have the best, when they don't

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #392 of 6,432

Quote:
I think those are the bad types of elitists...thinking they have the best, when they don't

Boy, do I hate those Omega2 and HE90 owners.
tongue_smile.gif

I've long since realized that when I really go off rambling about headphones, I sound like a condescending jerk. So let the store employees have their spiff or whatever, and then jump on Head-Fi and maybe respond to a few of those recommendation threads started by newbies. They've really begun to proliferate lately.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #393 of 6,432
Maybe for the people that buy Bose or Beats, those headphones are pretty good for the music they listen to most.  If they listen to lots of dance music, etc., the booming and somewhat overwhelming bass might remind them of dancing or listening to music at their favorite clubs.

Now, someone whose musical tastes are quite different from club music, hip-hop, etc. would be not be doing themselves a favor by buying headphones with a sonic signature of booming bass.  Just the same as buying DT770/80 Pros would not be the greatest for, let's say, heavy metal or classic rock.

Then again, maybe no one gives a rip?

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #394 of 6,432

Quote:
Maybe for the people that buy Bose or Beats, those headphones are pretty good for the music they listen to most.  If they listen to lots of dance music, etc., the booming and somewhat overwhelming bass might remind them of dancing or listening to music at their favorite clubs.

Now, someone whose musical tastes are quite different from club music, hip-hop, etc. would be not be doing themselves a favor by buying headphones with a sonic signature of booming bass.  Just the same as buying DT770/80 Pros would not be the greatest for, let's say, heavy metal or classic rock.

Then again, maybe no one gives a rip?

I don't know man... My 770/80s are pretty killer when it come to classic rock, and especially bluegrass. 
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #395 of 6,432
It really is a mixed bag. I let another friend of mine try out my MS-1i's the other day, he just sat there head-bopping to the music without saying a word for a good 40 minutes, and was very enthusiastic when he finally took them off. On the other hand, I've also had discussions with friends who vehemently resist the possibility that there's anything better out there than Skullcandy, despite attempts at diplomacy. Two friends in particular managed to take offense at the statement that "Most Skullcandy offerings are certainly a step up from stock earbuds, but you end up paying extra for lesser sound quality compared to some other brands since a premium is put on fashion." Which honestly, is about as diplomatic as I could be about Skullcandy. At the same time, I had a friend saying that "Spending anything more than $40 on headphones is foolish, after that you're just paying for useless bells and whistles." This of course being someone who has never tried a decent pair of headphones.

I just can't get past this quite honestly perplexing resistance to the prospect of high quality audio which on one hand relies on an attitude that spending beyond a certain price point on audio is pointless and foolhardy (And I'd note that to me, the hobby is more about getting the best sound possible at your personal price point than anything else), while at the same time stating an unreasoning loyalty to highly marketed brands which significantly overcharge for their products. Why is it that audio of all things should be a subject where promoting educated consumerism is considered offensive? I really just don't get it.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #396 of 6,432

Quote:
It really is a mixed bag. I let another friend of mine try out my MS-1i's the other day, he just sat there head-bopping to the music without saying a word for a good 40 minutes, and was very enthusiastic when he finally took them off. On the other hand, I've also had discussions with friends who vehemently resist the possibility that there's anything better out there than Skullcandy, despite attempts at diplomacy. Two friends in particular managed to take offense at the statement that "Most Skullcandy offerings are certainly a step up from stock earbuds, but you end up paying extra for lesser sound quality compared to some other brands since a premium is put on fashion." Which honestly, is about as diplomatic as I could be about Skullcandy. At the same time, I had a friend saying that "Spending anything more than $40 on headphones is foolish, after that you're just paying for useless bells and whistles." This of course being someone who has never tried a decent pair of headphones.

I just can't get past this quite honestly perplexing resistance to the prospect of high quality audio which on one hand relies on an attitude that spending beyond a certain price point on audio is pointless and foolhardy (And I'd note that to me, the hobby is more about getting the best sound possible at your personal price point than anything else), while at the same time stating an unreasoning loyalty to highly marketed brands which significantly overcharge for their products. Why is it that audio of all things should be a subject where promoting educated consumerism is considered offensive? I really just don't get it.

This is because if it's not peer-approved, the sheeple think it must be carp - nay, they refuse to believe that there can possibly be anything better despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary - because their peers don't approve.

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #397 of 6,432
I am so glad i bumped into this place , in 3 months i have learned more things about IEM's and stuff than i knew for the previous 34 years of my life - i only wish i had found it 4-5 years ago (but then my wallet would have already died by now)

As for people not wanting to 'listen'.....

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.Let alone a 'deaf' one.

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #398 of 6,432

Quote:
I think of audiophilia as just another form of art appreciation. The people most open to the hobby tend also to be more picky or discriminating about other things. The thing about this hobby I think most people wouldn't understand is the purist audiophile's goal, the desire for faithful reproduction, to get as close as possible to the recording and musicians' original intent even if uneuphonic. Most easy to sympathize with, and likely the most common goal of audiophiles, is a pleasant and musical sound, and if larger than life even better.

Hmm, really true :D

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #399 of 6,432
Showed my friend my ES7's last night, and he owns WESC headphones and Beats Tours.  After a minute or so he said "wow, these are really good".  Listened to them for about 20 minutes and seemed to enjoy them.  I think I finally convinced him that I knew a thing or two about audio(he used to think I was crazy for thinking that Beats sucked), and he said that he liked the ES7's because their is less bass than his Beats and they don't drown out the vocals.  Not sure if he was just being nice and I doubt he would go out and buy a pair but I think I just got him to realize that there is better stuff out there

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #400 of 6,432
I let my friend listen to my HD25-1 IIs once. He doesn't want to touch them now because they remind him of how much his headphones suck.
wink.gif

It's the beginning of the end for him.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #401 of 6,432
I've heard the HE90/HE60 and they are excellent but I do not think they should fetch the price they are sold at. For the price they cost they only sound "OK" to me. Far over priced IMO as the Stax sound far superior and are a lot more affordable. LOL waiting for incoming flamers.

But yeah my friend at work thought his Skullcandies were great until he heard my K240S's. He was so confident that his were better because they cost much more than mine, but when he heard mine I saw a frown form on his face. He took them off and didn't say anything. Next day he showed up without the SC's and when I asked him where they were he said he returned them because they sounded like junk for the money. A week later he had a K240MKII and a Fiio E3.

Now my uncle thinks his 20 year old Koss headphones sound great, that is until he heard my T1. He was like "What these are incredible!". When he asked the price I paid I told him and he quickly handed them back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345142 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Boy, do I hate those Omega2 and HE90 owners.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #402 of 6,432

Quote:

Now my uncle thinks his 20 year old Koss headphones sound great, that is until he heard my T1. He was like "What these are incredible!". When he asked the price I paid I told him and he quickly handed them back to me.

I think that's when you tell him that he doesn't want to know, but the DT 880 600 ohm are only $260 and aren't that far away in sound quality...

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #403 of 6,432
I let my girlfriend try out my Justin Bieber JustBeats and she was blown away. She said they were so much better than her Qualia 010 that she found in a shoe box at a church rummage sale. I've never heard of those before, but she said they weren't too good out of her Ipod Shuffle. She said she thinks they were made by Coby, but wasn't sure. I told her she needed to upgrade to 64kbps MP3 files or get a Fiio E1.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #404 of 6,432
Wonder how I could dissuade my friend from buy a pair of Dre Beats without sounding offensive.... I did hint at Shure and Ultiimate Ears...but its hard to dissuade someone who was addicted to Skullcandy from buying a pair of Beats. Maybe I should get her to try out my Grados... but then I only own an SR60. :frowning2: 

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #405 of 6,432

Quote:
I let my girlfriend try out my Justin Bieber JustBeats and she was blown away. She said they were so much better than her Qualia 010 that she found in a shoe box at a church rummage sale. I've never heard of those before, but she said they weren't too good out of her Ipod Shuffle. She said she thinks they were made by Coby, but wasn't sure. I told her she needed to upgrade to 64kbps MP3 files or get a Fiio E1.

HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back