Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #361 of 6,432
I have the ATH-A700's, which is my high-end headphone right now. I did wear them, but I had to go back home and never auditioned them again.

My FC700s get much love for looks and sounds. They are tiny but they pack a big sound and have a decent bass but not bloated. The treble was harsh but they have been used everyday for a month now, and the treble has recessed a bit I even had some people want em, but I like them I won't sell them.

What I like when people put them on is the look on their face, wow. Some eyes light up, other smile because their stuff sounds a whole lot better through these phones. I beat out IEMs, Skullcandy's, but beats are still out coz no one has gotten them yet.

We have these spray-on something another headphones at work and people ask me about them and will they sound like my FC700s and I tell them probably not, but you have to decide what you want.

And they all say they want my FC700's.....

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #362 of 6,432

Quote:
I passed my sister my at A900. 

but she would rather listen to the denon ah-c551 which i gave her as a birthday present, or her crappy macbook speakers, or the crappy buds that came bundled with her phone.

Now those A900s sit there forlornly.

So I'm asking myself, are the A900s that bad?

Poor thing doesn't even realize that she probably has a fairly good pair of headphones.

*facepalm 

My sister likes her macbook speakers better than my grado's,  Im getting a macbook in a few days and this is what im gonna do

FLAC Cd rip -> macbook optical out -> iBasso D1 -> Grado SR80's

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #363 of 6,432

Quote:
I went into the apple store sometime over the summer to get a replacement MBP. I was with my mother and we were looking at their rather ridiculous selection of headphones. The only ones that caught my attention were the SRH840s. Anyways, some rep guy comes up to me, "Hey, you looking for a fresh pair of Beats?" My response, "Haha... You serious?" He's like, "Yeah, these babies are studio reference quality headphones. Best sound quality you'll get out of anything we sell." Again, my response, "I really hope you're playing with me right now." He stood there with a puzzled look. So I started to talk. "Listen here *Mark* (don't remember his name) these Beats are overpriced hefty piles of ****. The worst part about this whole scheme is that you're telling customers lies, explaining the Beats are you finest sounding pair of headphones sold in this store. You ever heard of Shure? You sell their products. Look at these. SRH840, in terms of clarity and overall sound quality, I would rate these about an 8, and your trashy beats a good 3 out of 10. Before you go spreading bull**** about products you know nothing about maybe you should do a little research. Who knows, you might run into another customer like me who actually knows what good sound is." He remained standing there, and my mom tugged on my shirt. We walked away, grabbed our replacement and I saw him talking to one of his coworkers while pointing to the Shures. Did he get the message? Probably not. It was just fun making him look like an idiot.

You are my hero! 

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #364 of 6,432
Yeah, I remember the first time I tried to convert someone. I had her audition my CX 500 because she was looking to replace. YES REPLACE W/ MONEY her broken iPod buds. 

ME: Hey you should try these, their bass is really nice...you can even feel them in your head.
Her: Really? let me try

10 seconds later

Her: My iPod buds sounded better
ME: #$%^ seriously?

I mean, some people tell me something is wrong with my ears cause they enjoy the sound coming from 500 dollar earphones. But I think there is something seriously wrong with people who can't tell the difference between a 120 dollar worth canal phone when compared to those horrid apple whities. Just glad I didn't lend her any of my triples or my IE8, cause my pride would have been seriously hurt. haha

PS: the CX 500s have some heavy hitting bass. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #365 of 6,432

Quote:
Yeah, I remember the first time I tried to convert someone. I had her audition my CX 500 because she was looking to replace. YES REPLACE W/ MONEY her broken iPod buds. 

ME: Hey you should try these, their bass is really nice...you can even feel them in your head.
Her: Really? let me try

10 seconds later

Her: My iPod buds sounded better
ME: #$%^ seriously?

I mean, some people tell me something is wrong with my ears cause they enjoy the sound coming from 500 dollar earphones. But I think there is something seriously wrong with people who can't tell the difference between a 120 dollar worth canal phone when compared to those horrid apple whities. Just glad I didn't lend her any of my triples or my IE8, cause my pride would have been seriously hurt. haha

PS: the CX 500s have some heavy hitting bass. 

Probably didn't have a proper seal.  

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #366 of 6,432
My guess is those who claim their iBuds sound better are just jealous of your incredible audio equipment. It's like, "Hey, wanna test drive my car?" "Ok."......... "So how was it?" "I like my car better (I wish I had his car...)" 

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #367 of 6,432
It may just be that their ears have adjusted to the iBuds so completely that other headphones just don't sound right to them.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
My guess is those who claim their iBuds sound better are just jealous of your incredible audio equipment. It's like, "Hey, wanna test drive my car?" "Ok."......... "So how was it?" "I like my car better (I wish I had his car...)" 

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #368 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
I went into the apple store sometime over the summer to get a replacement MBP. I was with my mother and we were looking at their rather ridiculous selection of headphones. The only ones that caught my attention were the SRH840s. Anyways, some rep guy comes up to me, "Hey, you looking for a fresh pair of Beats?" My response, "Haha... You serious?" He's like, "Yeah, these babies are studio reference quality headphones. Best sound quality you'll get out of anything we sell." Again, my response, "I really hope you're playing with me right now." He stood there with a puzzled look. So I started to talk. "Listen here *Mark* (don't remember his name) these Beats are overpriced hefty piles of ****. The worst part about this whole scheme is that you're telling customers lies, explaining the Beats are you finest sounding pair of headphones sold in this store. You ever heard of Shure? You sell their products. Look at these. SRH840, in terms of clarity and overall sound quality, I would rate these about an 8, and your trashy beats a good 3 out of 10. Before you go spreading bull**** about products you know nothing about maybe you should do a little research. Who knows, you might run into another customer like me who actually knows what good sound is." He remained standing there, and my mom tugged on my shirt. We walked away, grabbed our replacement and I saw him talking to one of his coworkers while pointing to the Shures. Did he get the message? Probably not. It was just fun making him look like an idiot.

You are my hero! 

That would make my life complete if I did that...

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #369 of 6,432
I don't really feel all that glorified. As someone else pointed out, the employee only looked like an idiot to me. Every other customer was clueless lol.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #370 of 6,432
I got my girlfriend to listen to my Sennheiser HD595's and she was like..."Hey I can get into this"  LOL!  It's enough to splurge on one person but to have to support your significant other in electronics that can be a problem haha!

Couple of my buddies back in medical school when I first started getting into the headphones I had demo out my Grado SR-80s and they were shocked when I told them they cost under $100.  One actually went out and bought a pair. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #371 of 6,432
To the guy that cussed out the employee, that is kind of a jerk move.  He was just doing his job, and probably didn't know he was scamming people.  No need to take out you anger on him.

And I listened to a friends pair of Skullcandy earbuds today, and it was THE WORST sounding thing I've ever heard.  Like not even exaggerating.  The vocals and mids were completely distorted, the highs were nowhere to be found, and the bass drowned out everything.  How can people think that is good sound?  Have they never listened to anything remotely good?  And this same friend told me my Meelec M9's sucked and people constantly think I'm an idiot cause I don't think Beats are that great.  Although I have converted some people with my ES7's, mostly because of their looks.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #372 of 6,432

Quote:
To the guy that cussed out the employee, that is kind of a jerk move.  He was just doing his job, and probably didn't know he was scamming people.  No need to take out you anger on him.

And I listened to a friends pair of Skullcandy earbuds today, and it was THE WORST sounding thing I've ever heard.  Like not even exaggerating.  The vocals and mids were completely distorted, the highs were nowhere to be found, and the bass drowned out everything.  How can people think that is good sound?  Have they never listened to anything remotely good?  And this same friend told me my Meelec M9's sucked and people constantly think I'm an idiot cause I don't think Beats are that great.  Although I have converted some people with my ES7's, mostly because of their looks.

Heh, I used to have some cheap Skullcandy earbuds. I would listen to them mostly at work over the drone of heavy machinery; I thought they sounded pretty good. Then I came here and after some research, bought the Panasonic HJE900's. The Skullcandy's were in the trash about 20 minutes after the Panny's arrived.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #374 of 6,432

Quote:

Sorry but this just makes you sound like a douche. You seemed to get off on condescending a guy who was just doing his job. I've worked in retail in the past and always prided myself in making sure my customers made informed decisions even if it cost me sales (I was a good enough salesman to make up for it elsewhere). At the same time though these stores are in business to make money. Staff are trained to push products that have the best markup. Most of these guys don't know any better and are just doing their thankless, crap-shoveling jobs. Certainly educate, but go easy on them.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #375 of 6,432

Quote:

Although I wouldn't actually do that, I certainly think that. Sometimes I prod (bait, if you well) those guys and just listen to the marketing.
Sony Style guys over here are a lot more honest. They'd say something about the PiiQ series and the XBs, but as soon as you mention Sound Quality they'll point you to the MDR-EX500, and offer a special order of the EX700 and the SA series. Maybe I should ask about the EX1000 next time I feel like playing Wolfenstein on their demo PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back