Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 10, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #226 of 6,432
speechless

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #227 of 6,432

Quote:
drewling all over here
I could spend some hours there, WOW!

Sometimes I can spend hours there.

Just save some money, look for a cheap trip to Tokyo and stay here for a week. It is an amazing country to be a tourist in, and for us audio nerds it is heaven.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #228 of 6,432

Sometimes I can spend hours there.

Just save some money, look for a cheap trip to Tokyo and stay here for a week. It is an amazing country to be a tourist in, and for us audio nerds it is heaven.

You forgot to mention the only real reason to visit any foreign country - the beautiful women (and after that, the good beer!)

Japan's on my list, but Sweden first!

(Yes, I'm kidding. Sorta.)

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #229 of 6,432
Sheeet danneq, I was going to mention Jaben and Stereo, but that Yodobashi takes the cake, and then pops out of it with another cake.

But seriously, if you guys are ever in Singapore, you should check out Jaben and Stereo. They've each got very decent line-ups of headphones, most of which can be auditioned. Jaben may be liable for my lack of cash, but their in-store demo policy is also what let me try more and better things than I would have been able to afford.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #230 of 6,432
I just... I just... I... I don't. I don't even. What is this. Why. I just don't understand. Why aren't there ANY stores like this in places besides Asia? You would think that somewhere, maybe bigger cities would at least have ONE.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #231 of 6,432

Quote:
I just... I just... I... I don't. I don't even. What is this. Why. I just don't understand. Why aren't there ANY stores like this in places besides Asia? You would think that somewhere, maybe bigger cities would at least have ONE.

I see your in California. You should come up here to Portland, OR and visit 32 Ohm audio. The selection isn't THAT good, but it's still awesome. They specialize in headphones and you can try out all of them including all of the current flagship's with many DAC's and amps and your own sources. The service is amazing, I can't recommend them enough! 
atsmile.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #232 of 6,432
I will have to do that. I plan on visiting Oregon this summer.

32 Ohm audio 32 Ohm audio 32 Ohm audio 32 Ohm audio 32 Ohm audio 32 Ohm audio. Okay got that memorized.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #233 of 6,432
They're the ALO Audio guys, there link is under the sponsors over on the side if you want to see there selection. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #234 of 6,432

Quote:

Come to Japan on vacation! I have been living outside of Tokyo this year, studying Japanese at a school in the outskirts of Yokohama. There are a few electronics chains, the most well known being Yodobashi camera and BIC camera. They both have big headphone sections where you can do number 1 and 2 on your list. I often go to the local Yodobashi store and listen to headphones. I am thinking of buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 1:II for myself and a pair of AKG K518 LE for my wife. I have been able to listen to them with different DAP:s at Yodobashi and BIC camera stores. However, I will buy them back in Sweden since foreign brands are more expensive in Japan. If you want to find cheaper stuff in Japan, you should buy Japanese products.

In a few weeks we return to Sweden, which compared to Japan is like North korea - no possibilies at all to test headphones in stores, small selection etc... Today I will go to Akihabara in Tokyo, where there is a HUGE Yodobashi store. Probably my last visit during this stay in Japan...
Let me tempt you with some pictures I found online:

The picture above is from the Yodobashi store in Akihabara. I'll go there and try out some headphones. The last time I was there, the HD 25 1:II had no sound on one side. Perhaps they have fixed it...

It can also look like this, with each maker having it's own booth:

Some headphones are in glass cabinets, but there is no problem to try them out as well if you ask. The service of Japanese staff is probably the best in the world.

I'll certainly miss living in Japan. Since my wife is Japanese we will of course come here on vacation. And who knows, we might move here permanently in the future.

During my year in Japan, I have bought: ATH ES7, ATH M50, Pioneer SE EX9 clip-on earphones and most recently ATH CM700TI. I bought all of them used on Japanese Yahoo auction. Even if they are second hand, they are almost like new, and best of all - half price compared to store prices.
I have also bought two used Japanese MP3 players: a Kenwood HD20GA7 and a Victor/JVC XA HD 500.

Japan truly is an electronics nerd's heaven

I... I need some time alone, please.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #235 of 6,432

Quote:
OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

Quote:

Quote:
I wish there would be a headphone or audio store where you could:

1. Listen to ever selection.
2. Bring your own source.
3. Pair them up with other products you may be purchasing that might be in the audio.

I have hesitated on buying any headphone worth a bunch of money because all I have to go on is reviews on the internet.  If I buy something and don't like it I have to deal with shipping, and they don't cover shipping stuff back.  Even a small local store I would support if they carried a huge line of stuff to be able to hear, and I would pay more for it.

Come to Japan on vacation! I have been living outside of Tokyo this year, studying Japanese at a school in the outskirts of Yokohama. There are a few electronics chains, the most well known being Yodobashi camera and BIC camera. They both have big headphone sections where you can do number 1 and 2 on your list. I often go to the local Yodobashi store and listen to headphones. I am thinking of buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 1:II for myself and a pair of AKG K518 LE for my wife. I have been able to listen to them with different DAP:s at Yodobashi and BIC camera stores. However, I will buy them back in Sweden since foreign brands are more expensive in Japan. If you want to find cheaper stuff in Japan, you should buy Japanese products.

In a few weeks we return to Sweden, which compared to Japan is like North korea - no possibilies at all to test headphones in stores, small selection etc... Today I will go to Akihabara in Tokyo, where there is a HUGE Yodobashi store. Probably my last visit this time in Japan...

The picture above is from the Yodobashi store in Akihabara. I'll go there and try out some headphones. The last time I was there, the HD 25 1:II had no sound on one side. Perhaps they have fixed it...

Some headphones are in glass cabinets, but there is no problem to try them out as well if you ask. The service of Japanese staff is probably the best in the world.

I'll certainly miss living in Japan. Since my wife is Japanese we will of course come here on vacation. And who knows, we might move here permanently in the future.

During my year in Japan, I have bought: ATH ES7, ATH M50, Pioneer SE EX9 clip-on earphones and most recently ATH CM700TI. I bought all of them used on Japanese Yahoo auction. Even if they are second hand, they are almost like new, and best of all - half price compared to store prices.
I have also bought two used Japanese MP3 players: a Kenwood HD20GA7 and a Victor/JVC XA HD 500.

Japan truly is the electronics nerd's heaven

I live in Minnesota. *Burst into tears*

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #236 of 6,432

Quote:

Quote:

In a few weeks we return to Sweden, which compared to Japan is like North korea - no possibilies at all to test headphones in stores, small selection etc... Today I will go to Akihabara in Tokyo, where there is a HUGE Yodobashi store. Probably my last visit during this stay in Japan...

Japan truly is an electronics nerd's heaven

I... I need some time alone, please.

I need to go here. I live in the DC metro area. There is almost no HiFi around here. What

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #237 of 6,432
I live in a small town called Petaluma. In CA. The best headphones I've ever seen are mine. There is No Hi-Fi here. Is there a place in San Francisco/Bay Area like above? I can't wait for the Bay Area meet in February.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #239 of 6,432
I truly appreciate the intelligence, humor, and detachment most of the Head-fiers on this thread have shown.  It seems as if we understand that the experience of one's personal passion for something is a pathless land over which we all roam seeking a groove.  This hobby has legs because we all find ways to experience our passion by changing gear setups and staying abreast of newer recording technologies and by having this community to bounce it all off of.

I became an audiophile by a simple twist of fate (and now in my dotage, "the hour is growing late").  I lost my hearing at age 7 and basically did not listen to music much until my late teens when a friend dragged me over to listen to BTO, 3 Dog Night, Alice Cooper, and Grand Funk Railroad.  A few years later, another friend plopped introduced me to what became the all consuming musical passion of my next 30+ years: I got on the bus to NeverNever Land with the good ol' Grateful Dead.  I have seen the light in the strangest of places by looking at it right.  The view was that I needed to relearn to listen more carefully if I were to get to the heart of a musician as passionate about sound as I am if I am to be at one with the groove.  And the only way to do that was to go hard or go home.  That realization also came about when I listened through studio-grade headphones to a friend playing "Sweet Home Alabama" on a Fender Strat solo.  My first reaction was "OMG, you hearing people listen to this kind of heaven all time".  I knew then and there I was addicted....bad.

After Jerry died, and some couple thousand bucks lighter and with thousands of hours of listening in my bones, I can now begin to appreciate different synergies between components, but its at a loudness level most of the folks on this forum would consider too much.  But from so much wealth of information I have been able to find a relatively painless mix of cans and amps that enable me to get to the heart of a recording, though soundstages will never be of much attraction since I can't really tell jack on that....(so gonna save a couple thou in upgraditis).  I limit my listening to no more than 2 hours a day to preserve what I have.  Much good advice has come my way from a few folks on the forum.

But I digress...this is about non-audiophiles...I have a few friends who know I am really into this hobby and they are dumbfounded.  My best friend said, "Whhhaaaatttt?  How much was that?  Whaaaaat!  you are DEAF and you spent that much?".  In hopes of him getting my gist, I put a pair of ATH-AD2000 cans on his head and from then on he just stared, smiled, closed his eyes, rocked his head, and was gone.....till the end of the CD....He took off the cans and acted as if he never had that conversation of disbelief with me.  I took the diplomatic course and said nothing because I knew he understood the quality and the appreciation i must have to had to make that kind of commitment.

i think its a long ways around getting where we are as audiophiles, but when we come around to show our devotion, most folks understand the commitment because music speaks to the heart and mind of each of us, bad cans and all.  It is just all a matter of degree. 

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #240 of 6,432
Excellent. I look forward to many happy posts from you Wharfrat. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I truly appreciate the intelligence, humor, and detachment most of the Head-fiers on this thread have shown.  It seems as if we understand that the experience of one's personal passion for something is a pathless land over which we all roam seeking a groove.  This hobby has legs because we all find ways to experience our passion by changing gear setups and staying abreast of newer recording technologies and by having this community to bounce it all off of.

I became an audiophile by a simple twist of fate (and now in my dotage, "the hour is growing late").  I lost my hearing at age 7 and basically did not listen to music much until my late teens when a friend dragged me over to listen to BTO, 3 Dog Night, Alice Cooper, and Grand Funk Railroad.  A few years later, another friend plopped introduced me to what became the all consuming musical passion of my next 30+ years: I got on the bus to NeverNever Land with the good ol' Grateful Dead.  I have seen the light in the strangest of places by looking at it right.  The view was that I needed to relearn to listen more carefully if I were to get to the heart of a musician as passionate about sound as I am if I am to be at one with the groove.  And the only way to do that was to go hard or go home.  That realization also came about when I listened through studio-grade headphones to a friend playing "Sweet Home Alabama" on a Fender Strat solo.  My first reaction was "OMG, you hearing people listen to this kind of heaven all time".  I knew then and there I was addicted....bad.

After Jerry died, and some couple thousand bucks lighter and with thousands of hours of listening in my bones, I can now begin to appreciate different synergies between components, but its at a loudness level most of the folks on this forum would consider too much.  But from so much wealth of information I have been able to find a relatively painless mix of cans and amps that enable me to get to the heart of a recording, though soundstages will never be of much attraction since I can't really tell jack on that....(so gonna save a couple thou in upgraditis).  I limit my listening to no more than 2 hours a day to preserve what I have.  Much good advice has come my way from a few folks on the forum.

But I digress...this is about non-audiophiles...I have a few friends who know I am really into this hobby and they are dumbfounded.  My best friend said, "Whhhaaaatttt?  How much was that?  Whaaaaat!  you are DEAF and you spent that much?".  In hopes of him getting my gist, I put a pair of ATH-AD2000 cans on his head and from then on he just stared, smiled, closed his eyes, rocked his head, and was gone.....till the end of the CD....He took off the cans and acted as if he never had that conversation of disbelief with me.  I took the diplomatic course and said nothing because I knew he understood the quality and the appreciation i must have to had to make that kind of commitment.

i think its a long ways around getting where we are as audiophiles, but when we come around to show our devotion, most folks understand the commitment because music speaks to the heart and mind of each of us, bad cans and all.  It is just all a matter of degree. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back