Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #211 of 6,432

Quote:
My girlfriend acknowledged that my HD650/ little dot dac + amp combo sounded really good, but in the end, she still had to throw in "but not $850 good!" 

:frowning2:

Back then when I still had the iPod Classic + Portable Micro + Turbine Pro-Gold rig, several people came to audition this thing (worth about $1000 CAD back then). In the end all I got was "My Philips with FullSound sounds as good". Well, lucky them.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #212 of 6,432
My friend used to tease me for spending hundreds of dollars on headphones (at this point in time I owned an HD800, T1, LA7000, and a LA7000 lite).  After various months of teasing, I ended up talking him into going to a head-fi meet with me.  When we get there I notice there is ton of interest in people wanting to buy my LA7000 lite's.  Low and behold the instant I was about to sell the LA7000 lite's to a fellow head-fier my friend tells me he'll take them.  Ever since that day I haven't heard even the tiniest hint of teasing from him.  Its pretty funny because he never really showed too much interest in the stuff but ended up buying a modded flagship headphone.  He used to joke around about it a lot but seeing the expression on his face after hearing those headphones on my HDP for the first time was priceless.  It was a combination of amazement, satisfaction, disbelief, astonishment, and an epiphany all rolled into one.  

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #213 of 6,432

Quote:
LMAO, you might get him KILLED
blink.gif

Quote:
[size=x-small]Panges,[/size]
[size=x-small]Ask her how much she spent on clothes in the last year then say "Well you look good, but not [INSERT HERE] good"….[/size]

[size=x-small]… then run!
evil_smiley.gif
[/size]

LOL! I said something along those lines. I believe I used shampoo as an example... Something about how she spent x amount of money on shampoo and water over the course of the year and still smelled like poo/BO, thus my money was better spent. She knew I was joking, but needless to say, I still got a shoe thrown at me. :frowning2:

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #214 of 6,432

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think headphones have a large enough market for this to happen and hopefully thread/sites like this would help get more people interested.  Funny that you said this, I just bought the d2000 and am slightly disappointed. I'm not even sure the exact reason why it is, this forum help a little but I'm not so confident and to test this I have to put out more money which isn't 100% positive because I can't test to see if it would work.

Yeah, everyone hears slightly different and prefers different sound, so someone's description of how something sounds is very subjective over the internet.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #215 of 6,432

Quote:
I wish there would be a headphone or audio store where you could:

1. Listen to ever selection.
2. Bring your own source.
3. Pair them up with other products you may be purchasing that might be in the audio.

I have hesitated on buying any headphone worth a bunch of money because all I have to go on is reviews on the internet.  If I buy something and don't like it I have to deal with shipping, and they don't cover shipping stuff back.  Even a small local store I would support if they carried a huge line of stuff to be able to hear, and I would pay more for it.

This is actually mostly possible in Hong Kong, amazingly enough. Mingo has been really open with his store selection and almost every single one of them is demo-able. On top of that, he has a nice selection of amps and DACs to mix and match for effect. His store is the only reason that I was able to listen to so many high-end earphones and headphones and gained so much valuable hi-fi experience. :)

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #216 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

3. Pair them up with other products you may be purchasing that might be in the audio.

I have hesitated on buying any headphone worth a bunch of money because all I have to go on is reviews on the internet.  If I buy something and don't like it I have to deal with shipping, and they don't cover shipping stuff back.  Even a small local store I would support if they carried a huge line of stuff to be able to hear, and I would pay more for it.

This is actually mostly possible in Hong Kong, amazingly enough. Mingo has been really open with his store selection and almost every single one of them is demo-able. On top of that, he has a nice selection of amps and DACs to mix and match for effect. His store is the only reason that I was able to listen to so many high-end earphones and headphones and gained so much valuable hi-fi experience. :)

yeah I read some post about other country having some places that has good selection for auditioning headphones, I believe korea and japan are some of them.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #217 of 6,432

Quote:

This brought to mind a headphone Mecca of sorts. Made me lol. I wish it existed too.

"All Head-Fi'ers must journey there once a year. Bring lots O' cash"

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #218 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

This brought to mind a headphone Mecca of sorts. Made me lol. I wish it existed too.

We have a store like that here in New Mexico.  Grandma's music and sound.  I took several sources in when shopping for can's and they were happy to let me sample an array of different can's for as long as I wanted. 

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #219 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We have a store like that here in New Mexico.  Grandma's music and sound.  I took several sources in when shopping for can's and they were happy to let me sample an array of different can's for as long as I wanted. 

Nice pointer here... Next time Im in US I'll try to go there.

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #221 of 6,432

Quote:

Come to Japan on vacation! I have been living outside of Tokyo this year, studying Japanese at a school in the outskirts of Yokohama. There are a few electronics chains, the most well known being Yodobashi camera and BIC camera. They both have big headphone sections where you can do number 1 and 2 on your list. I often go to the local Yodobashi store and listen to headphones. I am thinking of buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 1:II for myself and a pair of AKG K518 LE for my wife. I have been able to listen to them with different DAP:s at Yodobashi and BIC camera stores. However, I will buy them back in Sweden since foreign brands are more expensive in Japan. If you want to find cheaper stuff in Japan, you should buy Japanese products.

In a few weeks we return to Sweden, which compared to Japan is like North korea - no possibilies at all to test headphones in stores, small selection etc... Today I will go to Akihabara in Tokyo, where there is a HUGE Yodobashi store. Probably my last visit during this stay in Japan...
Let me tempt you with some pictures I found online:

The picture above is from the Yodobashi store in Akihabara. I'll go there and try out some headphones. The last time I was there, the HD 25 1:II had no sound on one side. Perhaps they have fixed it...

It can also look like this, with each maker having it's own booth:

Some headphones are in glass cabinets, but there is no problem to try them out as well if you ask. The service of Japanese staff is probably the best in the world.

I'll certainly miss living in Japan. Since my wife is Japanese we will of course come here on vacation. And who knows, we might move here permanently in the future.

During my year in Japan, I have bought: ATH ES7, ATH M50, Pioneer SE EX9 clip-on earphones and most recently ATH CM700TI. I bought all of them used on Japanese Yahoo auction. Even if they are second hand, they are almost like new, and best of all - half price compared to store prices.
I have also bought two used Japanese MP3 players: a Kenwood HD20GA7 and a Victor/JVC XA HD 500.

Japan truly is an electronics nerd's heaven

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #222 of 6,432
OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

Quote:

Quote:

Come to Japan on vacation! I have been living outside of Tokyo this year, studying Japanese at a school in the outskirts of Yokohama. There are a few electronics chains, the most well known being Yodobashi camera and BIC camera. They both have big headphone sections where you can do number 1 and 2 on your list. I often go to the local Yodobashi store and listen to headphones. I am thinking of buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 1:II for myself and a pair of AKG K518 LE for my wife. I have been able to listen to them with different DAP:s at Yodobashi and BIC camera stores. However, I will buy them back in Sweden since foreign brands are more expensive in Japan. If you want to find cheaper stuff in Japan, you should buy Japanese products.

In a few weeks we return to Sweden, which compared to Japan is like North korea - no possibilies at all to test headphones in stores, small selection etc... Today I will go to Akihabara in Tokyo, where there is a HUGE Yodobashi store. Probably my last visit this time in Japan...

The picture above is from the Yodobashi store in Akihabara. I'll go there and try out some headphones. The last time I was there, the HD 25 1:II had no sound on one side. Perhaps they have fixed it...

Some headphones are in glass cabinets, but there is no problem to try them out as well if you ask. The service of Japanese staff is probably the best in the world.

I'll certainly miss living in Japan. Since my wife is Japanese we will of course come here on vacation. And who knows, we might move here permanently in the future.

During my year in Japan, I have bought: ATH ES7, ATH M50, Pioneer SE EX9 clip-on earphones and most recently ATH CM700TI. I bought all of them used on Japanese Yahoo auction. Even if they are second hand, they are almost like new, and best of all - half price compared to store prices.
I have also bought two used Japanese MP3 players: a Kenwood HD20GA7 and a Victor/JVC XA HD 500.

Japan truly is the electronics nerd's heaven

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #224 of 6,432

Quote:

Quote:

In a few weeks we return to Sweden, which compared to Japan is like North korea - no possibilies at all to test headphones in stores, small selection etc... Today I will go to Akihabara in Tokyo, where there is a HUGE Yodobashi store. Probably my last visit during this stay in Japan...

Japan truly is an electronics nerd's heaven

All of my hate to you for every single pair of headphones on that rack, I mean I have 32ohmAudio and the guy there is super nice*still keep forgetting to ask his name* and is a total BRO when it comes to trying headphones, but man..........dat selection.

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #225 of 6,432
drewling all over here
I could spend some hours there, WOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back