Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 10, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #197 of 6,432
On a non-coffee and logic related note, I was able to convert my brother from using his bose in-ears :D But it took me having to let him try the sennheiser ie8. Then... he ended up taking it. Up until the IE8s he always preferred the sound of his bose over the er-6is or ne-7ms or even the triplefi 10s and the westone 3s. I'm guessing he didn't get a good seal with the TF10s or W3s. One converted out of the many family members and friends... Another 100 to go. 

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #198 of 6,432
I'd actually like to contribute to the previous discussion. First thing, there is a lot of assumptions that she know the RE0 came from her dad. From what I read of the story, I think he placed them both under the tree at the same time. So, there is no way she would know which one came from her dad.

Secondly, kids are better at hearing higher frequencies. Or at least the really high ones. As we grow older, this is often lost in age.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #199 of 6,432
But.....it tastes good....PLEASE!! hahaha Yeah, I know it's probably not healthy, but then again...why isn't it? If only for the caffeine I could agree there, but coffee is essentially all natural koolaid without the sugar. It's just coffee cherry seeds cooked, ground, and then water poured over them. In fact, I read a lot of articles that 'guess' at coffee helping prevent any number of conditions or illnesses like diabetes, parkinsons, cancer, etc.

Quote:
Shipley, this is an intervention. You're in a dark place (and I'm not just talking about the brews) and you need to get out of there; that's way too much coffee in a day. I know, I was there before.

Quote:
I'm only 18, yet I'm drinking 4-5 cups a day of finely brewed 'magic' coffee.

Quote:
My favorite at Starbucks would be a Quad Grande Americano with a little cream (Americano = Water + espresso. Quad = 4 shots of espresso).

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #200 of 6,432
Yes, starbucks does tend to burn their coffee :frowning2: sadly enough.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Eric_C: does it taste that much better?
tongue_smile.gif

There is a ridiculously huge difference. It's actually a fine art. Getting the perfect beans from a good region/country, using the right grinder to the perfect consistency, using the best filters, having a coffee maker that brings the coffee to the perfect temperature for optimal flavor extraction, making sure you keep your beans in the right places so that they have more natural oils, etc. It all effects the coffee. I'm only 18, yet I'm drinking 4-5 cups a day of finely brewed 'magic' coffee. I cringe anytime I am in a place where they are serving regular coffee......there is no comparison. It's like the difference between $5 ibuds and Senn HD800's.

This is true.  Good coffee can be as varied and as deep an experience as good microbrews.  Your palate will develop over time.

And like people seem to feel about Dre Beats - supposed 'good' coffee that isn't is particularly offensive.  I'm looking at you Starbucks (and Peet).  Good coffee =/= burnt coffee!

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #201 of 6,432
Episode 1:
I asked my wife to find differences betwen my two cans without any kind suggestion from my side:
  • She put on the AKG K500 and said: these have a sense of closer space opposing to the other one... the other one is more clear, more airy, more open...
  • The other one was a Sennheiser HD650 without burn-in.
  • I sit on the sofa with the head between the hands, and she... It's all ok, honey?

Episode 2:
I put curiously the K500 on the head of my 11 months little kid.
Imagine that proportionally is like to see yourself with two freesbies on the ears.
Actually there's no way to get the AKG back: I tried to swap with the K26p and the ipod earbuds he threw them away keeping tight the K500.
He understood that I fear he breaks it, so when I try to pull it from is head  he stretches with the little hands the cable brutally.... and I have to give up.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #202 of 6,432
On audio:
My friend came over today and saw my HD 25, started asking about headphones in general and now he's seriously thinking about getting his first pair of 'good' headphones for Christmas! Whoo!

On coffee (that is to say, Shipley's Intervention lol):
Seriously? I dunno about coffee's long term effects; as you point out, there's just a lot of speculation at the moment. But for the short term, drinking so much dehydrates the body, and helps to make you more dependent on it. I personally don't like such a strong dependence on caffeine...my brain feels muddled when I'm in between cups, and it's expensive to keep drinking good coffee. 

Quote:
But.....it tastes good....PLEASE!! hahaha Yeah, I know it's probably not healthy, but then again...why isn't it? If only for the caffeine I could agree there, but coffee is essentially all natural koolaid without the sugar. It's just coffee cherry seeds cooked, ground, and then water poured over them. In fact, I read a lot of articles that 'guess' at coffee helping prevent any number of conditions or illnesses like diabetes, parkinsons, cancer, etc.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #203 of 6,432

Actually the Nano and bose phones were given to her the night before from a relative( My sister). Thing is , when i was asked by her which one i liked , i purposely chose the Nano combo assuming that would be her choice and it wasn't. People like to make arguments out of anything, it's in some peoples nature. I was just trying to share a story and of course a TROLL popped up. It happens all the time, I'm use to it and learned not to even bother arguing there point. And i totally agree with your last statement. Cheers
Quote:
I'd actually like to contribute to the previous discussion. First thing, there is a lot of assumptions that she know the RE0 came from her dad. From what I read of the story, I think he placed them both under the tree at the same time. So, there is no way she would know which one came from her dad.

Secondly, kids are better at hearing higher frequencies. Or at least the really high ones. As we grow older, this is often lost in age.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #204 of 6,432
Went to Best Buy last year to get DVD-Rs or something.  I went over to where the headphones were just curious.  The section is basically nonexistent anymore and you can't test all the models they sell.  They had a display for the Beats.  I was just curious to hear them for myself to see what the hype was because hearing is the ultimate decision, not reading reviews.  I guess the batteries must have been dead, so this douche bag grungy emo employee nerd comes by and I ask him why they didn't work.  He said he didn't know but it was probably the batteries.  So I say I want to hear them.  This is when they cost $350.  Best Buy employees work on commission, keep this in mind...  Well he says no, flat out, to assist me in hearing these headphones.  Then he goes on to say "Why would you spend $350 on headphones?" and walked away.  He didn't say "these headphones" or "those headphones".  He said "headphones" meaning ALL.  What a jackass.  He is supposed to be a salesman, and gets PAID to sell, but says "$350 headphones of any kind aren't worth it so I'm not going to help you."  Now a year later and a month ago or so I bought some Sennheiser HD-428s for $80 that aren't the best, but are probably just as good or better than Beats for < 1/3 of the price.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #205 of 6,432

Quote:
Went to Best Buy last year to get DVD-Rs or something.  I went over to where the headphones were just curious.  The section is basically nonexistent anymore and you can't test all the models they sell.  They had a display for the Beats.  I was just curious to hear them for myself to see what the hype was because hearing is the ultimate decision, not reading reviews.  I guess the batteries must have been dead, so this douche bag grungy emo employee nerd comes by and I ask him why they didn't work.  He said he didn't know but it was probably the batteries.  So I say I want to hear them.  This is when they cost $350.  Best Buy employees work on commission, keep this in mind...  Well he says no, flat out, to assist me in hearing these headphones.  Then he goes on to say "Why would you spend $350 on headphones?" and walked away.  He didn't say "these headphones" or "those headphones".  He said "headphones" meaning ALL.  What a jackass.  He is supposed to be a salesman, and gets PAID to sell, but says "$350 headphones of any kind aren't worth it so I'm not going to help you."  Now a year later and a month ago or so I bought some Sennheiser HD-428s for $80 that aren't the best, but are probably just as good or better than Beats for < 1/3 of the price.

Those Best Buy guys are unpredictable LOL!!!

I hate that in the 2 Best Buy stores in my city the only headphones you can test are Bose, they have B&W, Kilpsch, Sure, Sennheiser, Pioneers and some others, but you cant hear them. :frowning2:

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #207 of 6,432
[size=x-small]Panges,[/size]
[size=x-small]Ask her how much she spent on clothes in the last year then say "Well you look good, but not [INSERT HERE] good"….[/size]

[size=x-small]… then run!
evil_smiley.gif
[/size]

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #209 of 6,432
I wish there would be a headphone or audio store where you could:

1. Listen to ever selection.
2. Bring your own source.
3. Pair them up with other products you may be purchasing that might be in the audio.

I have hesitated on buying any headphone worth a bunch of money because all I have to go on is reviews on the internet.  If I buy something and don't like it I have to deal with shipping, and they don't cover shipping stuff back.  Even a small local store I would support if they carried a huge line of stuff to be able to hear, and I would pay more for it.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #210 of 6,432

Quote:
I wish there would be a headphone or audio store where you could:

1. Listen to ever selection.
2. Bring your own source.
3. Pair them up with other products you may be purchasing that might be in the audio.

I have hesitated on buying any headphone worth a bunch of money because all I have to go on is reviews on the internet.  If I buy something and don't like it I have to deal with shipping, and they don't cover shipping stuff back.  Even a small local store I would support if they carried a huge line of stuff to be able to hear, and I would pay more for it.

Unfortunately I don't think headphones have a large enough market for this to happen and hopefully thread/sites like this would help get more people interested.  Funny that you said this, I just bought the d2000 and am slightly disappointed. I'm not even sure the exact reason why it is, this forum help a little but I'm not so confident and to test this I have to put out more money which isn't 100% positive because I can't test to see if it would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back