Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 9, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #136 of 6,432

Quote:
tongue_smile.gif
 Agreed
Quote:
Quote:
I just need to find "the one." I'm only still dating atm. 

Well, those are definitely some nice cans in your avatar. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks, I guess I have a soft spot for "modded" cans.

btw, I think you should be glad that you have a spare dap and iems. 8 yr olds tend to be pretty merciless on audio equipment, kinda like cats.

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #137 of 6,432
Funny, my cats have never done anything to any of my headphones or other gear, and I've left quite a bit of it carelessly lying around. Then again, they're incredibly lazy most of the time, and I guess it requires effort to chew on cords.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #138 of 6,432

Quote:
So far for me. Most people say "Wow the music sounds so good from your headphone", then can not wait to take them off for even one second! LOL!
basshead.gif

I'll have to go with this comment.
I have one friend that has a similar mentality... ( it can be quite annoying over time...ie. cant enjoy anything with him ( of quality wise anyway
cool.gif
).

I've met/know so many people that give you a polite comment or response OR show that they are impressed and enjoying whatever it is BUT a few seconds later they can't wait to walk away and forget about what it was they were "enjoying" .... its quite annoying. Why give a false impression in the first place. ( no ones feeling are going to be hurt, just say it as it is and how you feel ! why not be honest ?! )

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #139 of 6,432
Wow, It was great to check this thread this morning, and see 30 new posts! I haven't seen number like that since...... Well..... I don't even know.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #141 of 6,432
all of my friends who i give try my CX300 was, What the bass..
and when i gave them my M50, they immediately put it on and dont want to gave it back to me.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #142 of 6,432
I've known about the greatness of good audio for a long time and never done anything about out of sheer laziness and trying to save cash. I can attest to the fact that most people in this world will not know the difference between 'good' and 'bad' audio quality as so much of that (beyond static and crap files) is subjective. I've been using piece of crap headphones all my life, and guess what? Every single time they break. And I'm not even doing it! Crap static noise any time I'm not listening to something and almost always one of the drivers dies or the solder breaks and it becomes intermittent. Well, I got sick and tired of it. After looking here on this website and others and researching like an intelligent human being does before blowing money on stuff I decided to get the Audio Technica ATH-M50's (as they fit my needs). Some day I will branch out to open headphones and more expensive ones, but this is my entry into the audiophile world. I doubt I will be able to convince those around me that my purchase was worthwhile, as I have tried to argue for good audio in the past with complete failure. People in this country (US) are such complete fools most of the time. People do not understand the way things work or function in the slightest, yet attempt to maintain their opinions claiming they are of equal value to everyone else's. Simply not true! Everyone in ENTITLED to an opinion, that doesn't mean everyone's opinions are of the same VALUE. I wouldn't ask a 5 year old their opinion on Intel vs AMD processors and then ask a computer engineer the same thing and claim both opinions are of equal value. So, until people actually try out audiophilic equipment with an open mind, their opinion is of no value to me or anyone else. I shall stand tall with my M50's not letting anyone make fun of me for them, as I know who has done their research and knows what they are talking about. The end.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #143 of 6,432

you sound a little bitter. I don't know, I always seen this as a hobby and never taken it that personal.  I never had the need for people to see eye to eye with me with headphones.  Sure it would be nice if they did, but I don't think they are required to.  I mean, not everything we own needs to be of high quality. I not trying to be rude, I just believe that a hobby should be enjoyed and that a person with a hobby should not let another opinion effect their enjoyment.  Don't get me wrong, I had my fair share of disappointment, but I never have the need to prove something.  To me, headphones are my personal enjoyment.  To me, as long as I am enjoying it then headphones has a value.

I believe you are right when you said "Everyone in ENTITLED to an opinion, that doesn't mean everyone's opinions are of the same VALUE"

I agree with you here and that is why for some people, they don't value higher quality audio and will not see eye to eye with you. 
Quote:
I've known about the greatness of good audio for a long time and never done anything about out of sheer laziness and trying to save cash. I can attest to the fact that most people in this world will not know the difference between 'good' and 'bad' audio quality as so much of that (beyond static and crap files) is subjective. I've been using piece of crap headphones all my life, and guess what? Every single time they break. And I'm not even doing it! Crap static noise any time I'm not listening to something and almost always one of the drivers dies or the solder breaks and it becomes intermittent. Well, I got sick and tired of it. After looking here on this website and others and researching like an intelligent human being does before blowing money on stuff I decided to get the Audio Technica ATH-M50's (as they fit my needs). Some day I will branch out to open headphones and more expensive ones, but this is my entry into the audiophile world. I doubt I will be able to convince those around me that my purchase was worthwhile, as I have tried to argue for good audio in the past with complete failure. People in this country (US) are such complete fools most of the time. People do not understand the way things work or function in the slightest, yet attempt to maintain their opinions claiming they are of equal value to everyone else's. Simply not true! Everyone in ENTITLED to an opinion, that doesn't mean everyone's opinions are of the same VALUE. I wouldn't ask a 5 year old their opinion on Intel vs AMD processors and then ask a computer engineer the same thing and claim both opinions are of equal value. So, until people actually try out audiophilic equipment with an open mind, their opinion is of no value to me or anyone else. I shall stand tall with my M50's not letting anyone make fun of me for them, as I know who has done their research and knows what they are talking about. The end.

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #145 of 6,432
I think the reason some Head-Fi'ers get a little miffed at non-audiophiles is because, like most people who are not involved in something, they nevertheless have an opinion. That opinion is usually along the lines of, "These people are crazy. I can't tell the difference, and I know best, so I know these people are just a bunch of duffers." I don't go around thinking people who get all excited over stamp collecting or computer gaming are "crazy" just because I don't really know anything about/participate in these things. This is because I accept that there are hobbies that I personally don't understand but nonetheless I respect them. However, I'm sad to say that my way of looking at things is rare in this society. Many people just dismiss things they don't understand and people who aren't "normal" like they are as nuttiness. I don't really find myself defending my hobby very often, mainly because it doesn't come up much. However, it does irritate me when people make judgments on me based on it. I've heard it insinuated that I'm "too picky" and am just "complicating things" because it took me three sets of cans before I found something I could live with.

I try the best I can to take it in stride, but sometimes it does irritate me. So yeah, just like Shipley, I'm a little bitter. It isn't just with headphones, it's with the attitude many people take with anything they aren't involved in. With all due respect, if people don't know, then they need to keep their big mouths shut.

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #148 of 6,432
Nice thread! A friend of mine tried my Senns 650 several years ago and told me that his notebook speakers were much better. I was very honest and I didnt tell him that his notebook speakers played horribly, really horribly! I could not stand the sound - no bass, very ugly and unclean sound... Or is it a good example of the so-called "preference"?
blink.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #149 of 6,432
Man, this thread is awesome. Interesting stuff.
tongue_smile.gif

I guess my friends really aren't tech savvy at all. Most of them had a "if it works, its fine" kind of attitude. :frowning2:

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #150 of 6,432
I'm not bitter toward non-audiophiles as much as I am bitter to the typical failure of stereotypical Americans who make the rest of us look bad. These are the people who are always buying the latest stuff without researching it, the people who buy houses 4 times larger than they need and paying it off for 50 years, the people who don't hold doors open for people, the people who can't maintain a conversation without swearing or stuttering, the people who sue others over irrelevant things. Those people I am bitter at. In this case, it just happens to be over headphones, but the same basic concept applies to almost anything. Hobbies are hobbies, and shouldn't be taken so seriously you argue constantly with others about them. But, as Argyris said, people need to learn to respect other people and their hobbies. This is the main reason I get angry at people, they don't know what they are talking about, yet they insist on PRETENDING like their opinion has merit or value. I don't know anything about RC planes, but I know that some people consider that their hobby, if someone says they spent "X" amount on an RC plane, I might go "Wow, that's a lot, it must be a great plane!", but NEVER would I say "You spent that much on a RC PLANE?? Wow, what a waste of money". Anyone agree? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back