Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #6,256 of 6,432
Quote:
I haven't had a vinyl set up for about 5 years :frowning2: but modern vinyl does generally sound better than digital.

For a start, the loudness war is pretty much out the window. It's also a niche market now, catering for the discerning ear so 180+gm virgin vinyl (with similarily carefull mastering) becomes the norm.

If it had always been this way, digital would have been p1ssed on from the start.

"Audiophile" records aren't cheap, though, nor is a good turntable. Engineering is more expensive than electronics, which is why CDs took over :frowning2:

I really didn't mean to ramble this much!

Yeah, I've got a decent A-T unit at the moment, but I'm looking for a truly high-end upgrade in the next year. I've also been stocking up on albums I already own on CD.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #6,257 of 6,432
Quote:
I haven't had a vinyl set up for about 5 years :frowning2: but modern vinyl does generally sound better than digital.

For a start, the loudness war is pretty much out the window. It's also a niche market now, catering for the discerning ear so 180+gm virgin vinyl (with similarily carefull mastering) becomes the norm.

If it had always been this way, digital would have been p1ssed on from the start.

"Audiophile" records aren't cheap, though, nor is a good turntable. Engineering is more expensive than electronics, which is why CDs took over :frowning2:

Yeah, I've got a decent A-T unit at the moment, but I'm looking for a truly high-end upgrade in the next year. I've also been stocking up on albums I already own on CD.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #6,258 of 6,432
I thought my Scout (which I bought used), with a Vincent PHO-8 stage (modest) kicked the crap out of the 6k Resolution Cantata. 

Price to performance on a decent vinyl rig is outstanding. The most expensive part is definitely the records. I just paid 50 bucks a pop for the new Analogue Production Doors 45s.

Quote:

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #6,259 of 6,432

This fact has absolutely nothing to do with the storage medium at hand (which has its own sound problems like wow, flutter, dust, scratches, etc), but the fact that vinyl pressings are typically mastered completely differently than CD pressings.

The only vinyl that truly sounds better than digital is vinyl where the actual music was recorded entirely analog (think pro tape decks).

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #6,260 of 6,432
I've had this argument multiple times. You're absolutely right, but it's still valid to say that modern vinyl usually sounds better than digital. 

Sure, it's not because of the medium, but it's still true.

Quote:

This fact has absolutely nothing to do with the storage medium at hand (which has its own sound problems like wow, flutter, dust, scratches, etc), but the fact that vinyl pressings are typically mastered completely differently than CD pressings.

The only vinyl that truly sounds better than digital is vinyl where the actual music was recorded entirely analog (think pro tape decks).

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #6,261 of 6,432
I just can't see how vinyl can sound better in the real world. In a theoretical world where the record is kept in a vacuum from production to play, then tossed out after its first run, then maybe. But vinyl is just to fragile and affected by its environment to sound better than digital to 99.999% of all people

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #6,262 of 6,432
...What? As long as vinyl is given a proper cleaning every now and then it should sound fantastic for a very, very long time. 

Sure if you use a cheap TT with a crappy needle you'll cause wear quickly and it'll track poorly...but something halfway decent for playback won't do that.

Yeah, if you keep your LPs flat stacked in milk crates in your basement with a water leak, it'll be awful...but in any reasonably climate controlled area stored properly there's no issues. 

I almost feel trolled.

Quote:
I just can't see how vinyl can sound better in the real world. In a theoretical world where the record is kept in a vacuum from production to play, then tossed out after its first run, then maybe. But vinyl is just to fragile and affected by its environment to sound better than digital to 99.999% of all people

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #6,263 of 6,432
Quote:

Do you buy your vinyl at the 99 cent store?

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #6,264 of 6,432
Do you buy your vinyl at the 99 cent store?

No I don't own any vinyl. I've heard a good sounding rig or two though and no matter what there is always hiss clicks and pops. Add to that the fact that vinyl wears down every time you play it and IMO it really isn't all its cracked up to be. Of course *puts flame suit on* I really don't care for the sound of tubes either so maybe vinyl caters to a different breed

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6,265 of 6,432
Well over half my collection is new vinyl. None of that is an issue after a proper vacuum cleaning. On hiss...A lot of that is tape hiss that will be there no matter what format. It's just how it is sometimes. 

Part of it may be the music you listen to as well. For Jazz and Classical guys you actually get good masters on CDs as well as LPs...but for fans of a lot of modern music the LP master is quite obviously better.  

Quote:
No I don't own any vinyl. I've heard a good sounding rig or two though and no matter what there is always hiss clicks and pops. Add to that the fact that vinyl wears down every time you play it and IMO it really isn't all its cracked up to be. Of course *puts flame suit on* I really don't care for the sound of tubes either so maybe vinyl caters to a different breed

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #6,266 of 6,432
Quote:

I have a good friend with a completely-analog recording studio in his house (I've used it to record two albums, and love the place), and I have serious envy for his recording tape deck.

Quote:
Yeah, if you keep your LPs flat stacked in milk crates in your basement with a water leak, it'll be awful...but in any reasonably climate controlled area stored properly there's no issues.

You literally have described the fate of my old record collection before I got back into vinyl. I was extremely saddened when I discovered the water damage, and almost all my cover art (let along the albums themselves) was ruined.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #6,268 of 6,432
Kind of my point. If anyone has pride in their collection stuff like this doesn't happen. 

I understand it happened back in the day when vinyl was the only format simply because people didn't have to care...but anyone that has a collection now-a-days is probably very proud of it and would let nothing short of a disaster hurt it.

Quote:
You literally have described the fate of my old record collection before I got back into vinyl. I was extremely saddened when I discovered the water damage, and almost all my cover art (let along the albums themselves) was ruined.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #6,270 of 6,432

Users who are viewing this thread

Back