Nokia Lumia 920 sound quality?
Nov 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #91 of 143
I've had the 920 for a few days now and have only used my cheap IEMs with it on the streaming. Sounds fine to me and I enjoy it.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #92 of 143
Sound quality wise, it's much improved over the Lumia 900, with much less noise. It's as good as the SQ on my iPhone 4S. I noticed it's much better when you output through the AUX cable.

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #93 of 143
I picked up a set of the Sony MDR-ZX600 on ear headphones from their site on Black Friday for 50% off. I tried them with my Sony S639, Cowon D2+, and then my Lumia 920. I'm quite surprised at the sound they have with even my L920! The hp's going great with my phone are icing on my cake!!! I really think my decision to get this phone was the correct one.

Here's the Sony Store link: https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666437675&catalogId=&krypto=RDTjmiOJh9bcdnuWRAMl9NaiEyzjhDpvn7w5nfhD13byzyzLO76VqzK5ZwK1DDROTUVeFWDQHlY%2F%0A%2FWGEVfGlRvdVnXpioeDE

A nice set of LO-FI on ear cans,... :D

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #95 of 143
Oh well, I guess my hp's mask the flaws of the sound output (Incase Sonics). Bummer,... But I really only use this now as a phone/Internet/gaming device. I kinda use either my Cowon D2+ or Sony A867. This is mostly just for on-the-fly-I'm-bored listening while traveling on the train.

And this also proves to me that even I can be fooled into thinking something sounds amazing, when it really measures like poop. We live, we learn, we grow. Such is life,...

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #98 of 143
I am still quite satisfied with my acquisition, and I have no buyers remorse. :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #99 of 143
Quote:

I don't see a response, but I did test my USB OTG cable with my 920 and FiiO E17. No dice.

I'm going to echo this experience. I connected my 920 to my FiiO E17 using the headphone jack to AUX and it sounds terrific. No distortion whatsoever. I even cranked the gain on my amp to 12dB and my ears just take the pounding! Very interesting hardware this phone has, the sound is very clean. Who needs a LOD with the 920??  :D  I'm curious what's under the hood from a teardown.

I've had my eye on this and I also have a FiiO E17! this might be my next phone!

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #101 of 143
looks like my ole Nokia N8 will be around a little while longer then

smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8-review-523p5.php#aq

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #102 of 143
Quote:
Oh well, I guess my hp's mask the flaws of the sound output (Incase Sonics). Bummer,... But I really only use this now as a phone/Internet/gaming device. I kinda use either my Cowon D2+ or Sony A867. This is mostly just for on-the-fly-I'm-bored listening while traveling on the train.

And this also proves to me that even I can be fooled into thinking something sounds amazing, when it really measures like poop. We live, we learn, we grow. Such is life,...

Can you compare the signature of 920 with Iphone 4s? Is it warm, bass-bloated, harsh etc when compared to iphone?

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #103 of 143
I've had one for some time now and it sounds really good but needs an amp.

The sound signature is warm and the EQ works well on it.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #105 of 143
Alright, so I just got my 920. I tested it with my AKG K701's (lol), CIEM's with and without an amp, using amp+iPod Touch 5 as a reference. My amp is an Objective 2.

The 920 has a decently clean output. With ultra sensitive CIEMs, there's a tiny bit of noise but not much. Output impedance is probably a few ohms as there's a slight deviation in the frequency response phone -> IEM compared to phone -> amp -> IEM. In terms of power output, it'll drive the K701s to almost listenable levels which is pretty respectable, although with pretty severe compression to the dynamics (fyi the iPod doesn't do much better, although it has enough volume). Paired with an amp, the Lumia 920 has great dynamics, isn't too noisy but falls short in soundstage and resolution. Unamped frequency response can vary due to the output impedance depending on the headphone. Amped, the differences are VERY minimal - sources contribute only a tiny amount, IMO paired with a good amp practically every source will be a superbly delicious sauce. The bottom line is if you're using these with an amp, expect great results. Cleaner sources do exist, but the 920 is more than good enough for the daily commute. Otherwise you might want to check if your headphones will have good "synergy" with the 920.

Edit: noise isn't an issue when playing music - it's pretty much inaudiable. There's hiss with no music though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back