Nobsound NS-08E also know as Nobsound 6J9 hybrid tube amp
Oct 19, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #226 of 388
I have just put a pair of Burr Brown OPA2134PA opamps in and they sound good with the mullard e180f's. I'm waiting for a pair of muses02's to try. If they don't work so well i can always try them in my soundcard.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #227 of 388
Looks like I'll be picking up a few pair of opamps from Mouser within 1-2 weeks: OPA2134, OPA2604, OPA2227, LM4562.
Valvo and Mullard tubes also comes to mind.

I think I need to cancel my PayPal account and credit cards... :dizzy_face:

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #228 of 388
I have just put a pair of Burr Brown OPA2134PA opamps in and they sound good with the mullard e180f's. I'm waiting for a pair of muses02's to try. If they don't work so well i can always try them in my soundcard.

So i decided to get a pair of hd600's. Yes it was worth it. I play flat don't use eq and it's all there. Bass, mid's and high's but nothing is overpowering. A well balanced sound. I.m using the burr brown opamps with amperex 6688's with absolutely no complaints. I have a few more bits arriving soon and will see if the sound picture changes any.

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #229 of 388
I just got the HD6xx and I can report they pair well with the Nobsound NS-08E and Amperex JEP-6688's. This little amp has plenty of power to give and lots of headroom with the HD6xx.

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #231 of 388
This tiny guy can kill your ears even in 600 Ohm cans. That is why some people were crying that it lacks gain switch to deal with low-high ohm headpnones w/o touching volume button,

Nov 10, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #232 of 388
These babies just came in the mail. Left my hex keys at home though... Won't be able to try them out in the NS-08E until sometime tonight. *sigh*

burson ss.jpg

Nov 10, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #236 of 388
So i decided to get a pair of hd600's. Yes it was worth it. I play flat don't use eq and it's all there. Bass, mid's and high's but nothing is overpowering. A well balanced sound. I.m using the burr brown opamps with amperex 6688's with absolutely no complaints. I have a few more bits arriving soon and will see if the sound picture changes any.
Today i received a pair of dual opamps to try from Charles at Burson Audio. They are V5i hybrid amps, a mix of discrete components and a custom integrated circuit. They are a drop in component and can replace a multitude of differing opamps.
20171110_163913_Burst01.jpg
20171110_161125_HDR.jpg

The website states that they need a 'burn in' period of around 100hours. Which should be about 5-6 days as i don't turn the nob off.

My headphone amp is connected to the soundcard in my pc and my music is digital files, blu ray audio and streaming and other file formats. I use an ASUS Xonar essence stxII into the nob with e180f tubes output to HD600's and my first impressions, well it brought a smile to my face. The first file i played was 'on the run' from the pink floyd immersion box set. This is one of the busiest tracks i know, so much going on and everything was there in my ears. The headphones provide the soundstage and the amp drives it. I think it's a perfect match and hope it's gets better as they bun in.

Nov 11, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #237 of 388
They look the business. Really neat.
I have a question about the volume pot if anyone can help.
Mine seems to have a bit of an imbalance toward the right hand channel is it possible to drop in an alps pot ?
Are they the same size ?

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #238 of 388
... a bit of an imbalance toward the right hand channel ...
Most probably (99%) a disbalance resides in slightly different (or even not so small) REAL electric specs of the tubes. It happens even for the NOB's, not even speaking about a weared second-hand. That is why many people pay extra for selected pairs, since a special testing device measures a set of electric specs for each tube and we can make the most equal pairs.
If disbalance is not so big and your audio source has a precise L/R balance control (ALL modern digital sound cards and operating systems offer this feature), make a realtime recording, measuring the signal strength for L and R, adjusting it through OS mixer or special sound driver feature.
Even more, some people don not recommend to use full sound card amplification (so called 100%), using 70-80% interval, where you can adjust your disbalance easily. Do not forget, that our amd is really powerful and you can compensate a volume drop turning an amp's knop instead of amplifying a sound card noises.

Tell us, if it helped.

Nov 11, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #239 of 388
Most probably (99%) a disbalance resides in slightly different (or even not so small) REAL electric specs of the tubes. It happens even for the NOB's, not even speaking about a weared second-hand. That is why many people pay extra for selected pairs, since a special testing device measures a set of electric specs for each tube and we can make the most equal pairs.
If disbalance is not so big and your audio source has a precise L/R balance control (ALL modern digital sound cards and operating systems offer this feature), make a realtime recording, measuring the signal strength for L and R, adjusting it through OS mixer or special sound driver feature.
Even more, some people don not recommend to use full sound card amplification (so called 100%), using 70-80% interval, where you can adjust your disbalance easily. Do not forget, that our amd is really powerful and you can compensate a volume drop turning an amp's knop instead of amplifying a sound card noises.

Tell us, if it helped.
Mine is connected to a Sony cd player so source isn't a problem.
I bought 2 matched pair of Russian 6j9's. The pair that is in now only have a few hours on them so I'm going to get the other pair out tomorrow and give them a try. May be swap them around a bit and see if i can level it up.
Thanks for the help

Nov 11, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #240 of 388
Warming up is happening for valves, but normally we are talking about 15 minutes max after swithing on. Measuring by ear is not a good idea actually. Download RMAA, they implemented realtime amplitude measurement for L/R, so you can see levels on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back