Nobsound NS-08E also know as Nobsound 6J9 hybrid tube amp
Oct 10, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #211 of 388
Do you have a different pair of tubes to try in place of the mullard's.
Have you try'd re seating the tubes to make sure you have a clean connection.
May be someone with more experience may be able to give more advice. Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks. luckily, the noise has disappeared and not come back again.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #213 of 388
After reading the recommendations in this thread, I was looking for Amperex-JEP 6688 online, but seems hard to find a pair of tubes that says JEP. There are plenty of matched pairs with the name Amperex PQ. Is there a difference between PQ and JEP?

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #215 of 388
As far as I recall JEP - USA made, PQ - Holland made. So their real electric specs could be slightly different. JAN - is a military grade long life version.

Thanks very much. I see several JANs for sale. I was wondering if anyone compared the sound characteristics of the JAN vs JEP.

Edit: OK, got my answer from your January post. The JEP version has tighter bass, while the A version has a smoother sound. JEP is it for me then.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #216 of 388
Mine has finally arrived!

Well-packaged:
FullSizeRender 4.jpg

Against the Note 5 for scale:
IMG_3403.JPG

Tubes on, ready to rock:
IMG_3407.JPG

Them glowing tubes:
IMG_3408.JPG

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #219 of 388
More than anything, I think my stock tubes are too bassy. Or to be more specific, too warm and muddy. I probably wouldn't mind the warm if there was less mud.
There is lots of information in this thread on replacment tubes.
I dare say that the manufacturing process of the Chinese tubes isn't as consistent as it could be so quality is sound may vary.
Mine sounded very thin and bright.
But this could depend on the headphone load may be ?

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #220 of 388
There is lots of information in this thread on replacment tubes.
I dare say that the manufacturing process of the Chinese tubes isn't as consistent as it could be so quality is sound may vary.
Regardless of whether someone thinks the stock tubes are bright or thinks the stock tubes are warm and muddy, I think we all agree the most important thing is that the stock tubes can be improved upon even with cheap replacements.

And for people just getting the amp who don't want to mess with more tubes, it's not like the stock tubes are awful. Even with the stock tubes, it's a good amp in its price range, and beyond.

The headphone jack annoys me since it's embedded, the big pop sound when you first turn it on is annoying, the power cord is too short, etc, so it's not a perfect amp, but price is a big factor with this.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #221 of 388
Regardless of whether someone thinks the stock tubes are bright or thinks the stock tubes are warm and muddy, I think we all agree the most important thing is that the stock tubes can be improved upon even with cheap replacements.

And for people just getting the amp who don't want to mess with more tubes, it's not like the stock tubes are awful. Even with the stock tubes, it's a good amp in its price range, and beyond.

The headphone jack annoys me since it's embedded, the big pop sound when you first turn it on is annoying, etc, so it's not a perfect amp, but price is a big factor with this.

Fully agree.
It's a bit of a bargain.

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #222 of 388
Nice.
Hope you like it. Don't judge it to much with the stock tubes they tend to ring like a bell every time you look at them.
Let us know what you think.

For $46, it's a keeper. I'm rocking rMBP > Hifiman HM-101 > Mogami 2534 + Oyaide lookalike 3.5mm plugs > NS08E > HD25 (Mogami 2534 & Rean NYS231BG 3.5mm), and the whole shebang sounds -- for the lack of a better term -- balanced, at least to my ears.

Live recordings like John Mayer's Where The Light Is: Live In Los Angeles, Alicia Keys' Unplugged, this and this is a joy to listen to. Also John Mayer's "Gravity" (from Continuum) and Jason Mraz's "Butterfly" (from We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.). Punch, dynamics, and details are pretty good for most commercial pop/rock/electronic/EDM/trap/RnB recordings, though I'm certain those who listen to those kind of music would want more (I know I do).

With the HD25, and my rMBP's volume set to max, I usually listen with the volume knob right on the 9 o'clock mark, turning at most 4 notches up for quieter recordings.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #225 of 388
Thanks. Still the same version. Think about rolling op amps too. You can find recommendations on head-fi. 5532 are old, but actually sound very good. Potentially you can improve lors, high trebble and resolution. But it will be heard in a really good cans only. BTW, a better soundstage (slightly) also is an option with another op amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back