NOBLE Savant Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours)
Sep 15, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #226 of 928
Some really interesting (and opposing!) views on here. 

I'm considering the Savant myself and am a little concerned that some find them fatiguing or sibilant, the two things I dislike most in earphones! One of the reasons I like the K10 so much is that it is neither of these things.

Sibilant? No. Fatiguing? Potentially.

I found Savant a little tiring, but I put that down to the level of detail that it provides.

I find sibilance intolerable and I wouldn't call Savant sibilant.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #227 of 928
This is probably the most expensive 2 BA driver IEM i've seen so far lol

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #229 of 928
This is probably the most expensive 2 BA driver IEM i've seen so far lol

Is that confirmed?  I wrote in my review that I suspected it was 2 BA, but because it was a loaner, couldn't really open it up to confirm.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #230 of 928
@DJScope mentioned hearing some driver flex on his demo, I spoke with him some more after making the original statement and he seemed fairly confident he could hear something going on inside. This would indicate a dynamic driver in there somewhere... However, its quite unusual if this was the case as Noble don't seem to use dynamic drivers. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #231 of 928
He's got the same unit I had Luke - there was no flex.  And there is no way there is a dynamic in there.  Definitely BA bass.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #232 of 928
  He's got the same unit I had Luke - there was no flex.  And there is no way there is a dynamic in there.  Definitely BA bass.

He said it back a few pages days ago, I wonder what he was hearing.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/772698/noble-savant-thread-impressions-reviews-tours/195#post_11905913

At a guess, I'd lean towards an all BA setup as well for Savant.

I'll listen this week and see what comes up. Its hard to assign a number of drivers though by ear. Even Customart's Harmony 8 Pro using 8 BA's I wouldn't guess unless told. I'm pretty sure I can distinguish BA from Dynamic drivers as the tell-tale signs of clarity and speed can be detected. Then again, I've heard some micro dynamic drivers which could be mistaken for balanced armature.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #233 of 928

He said it back a few pages days ago, I wonder what he was hearing.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/772698/noble-savant-thread-impressions-reviews-tours/195#post_11905913

At a guess, I'd lean towards an all BA setup as well for Savant.

I'll listen this week and see what comes up. Its hard to assign a number of drivers though by ear. Even Customart's Harmony 8 Pro using 8 BA's I wouldn't guess unless told. I'm pretty sure I can distinguish BA from Dynamic drivers as the tell-tale signs of clarity and speed can be detected. Then again, I've heard some dynamic drivers which could be mistaken for balanced armature.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts. It sounds a lot like my old SE425 but with better treble extension.  That's why I immediately thought dual BA. If it was a treble or quad I'd be expecting more bass extension.

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #234 of 928

Is that confirmed?  I wrote in my review that I suspected it was 2 BA, but because it was a loaner, couldn't really open it up to confirm.

I have a friend who opened it up... and oh boy, such empty spaces inside lol
I'm curious as to why Noble didn't disclose/publish this bit of info...

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #235 of 928
Originally Posted by Levanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a friend who opened it up... and oh boy, such empty spaces inside lol
I'm curious as to why Noble didn't disclose/publish this bit of info...

Pricing.

Regardless of whether or not driver count is directly proportional to sound quality. Buyers will of course consider driver count when assessing the Savant's pricing and its competitors. More drivers logically implies more components, greater build complexity and expense.

I guess the cat's out of the bag now. Any photos?

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #236 of 928
  Pricing.

Regardless of whether or not driver count is directly proportional to sound quality. Buyers will of course consider driver count when assessing the Savant's pricing and its competitors. More drivers logically implies more components, greater build complexity and expense.

I guess the cat's out of the bag now. Any photos?

Lol that's exactly what i thought too. But nope, don't have any pictures except from what he told me. So don't take what i say as the official spec/info since only Noble can do that ;P

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #237 of 928
Sibilant? No. Fatiguing? Potentially.

I found Savant a little tiring, but I put that down to the level of detail that it provides.

I find sibilance intolerable and I wouldn't call Savant sibilant.

I have found the Savant anything but tiring. They only arrived on Friday but yesterday/today I've worn them pretty much all day with no fatigue.

I've found that there is some sibilance but not to a level which detracts in any way from the overall experience.

I really couldn't be happier with these. They are my first Noble IEMs (although I have some Heir 5.0s from the Wizard's time there) so I can't compare to the N4s, but from my AK Jr they are amazing.

Compared to the SE535s, I'd say it's simply a more balanced, neutral sounding IEM but that somehow doesn't give up the good parts of the 535s. The best part of the 535s to me is female vocals, but the Savant does an equally good job there (slightly less 'coloured') while providing much more detail in everything else and remaining very musical.

I really can't recommend these highly enough (they look great too) and they were well worth the wait.

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #238 of 928
To me, drivers don't matter - tuning does.  And the Savant are tuned extremely well.

I'm reviewing another dual BA now (the new q-Jays) and it's another example of an extremely well tuned IEM.  Only 2 drivers, and also relatively expensive  - but if tuned well - magic.  The Savant is definitely tuned well IMO.  Ticked almost all of my boxes.

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #239 of 928

I would probably agree with you "BA bass" but I still get a really massive air seal when putting them in my ears which subsides after a few minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a micro dynamic driver in there, or two. But who knows.

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #240 of 928
Just been confirmed by Levanter - dual BA (no dynamic).

If you're getting too much seal (vacuum) try foam tips, or pull your ear lobe down when you insert them (it helps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back