NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #1,531 of 1,640
I have been using my Piety for a week or so. Headphones are Sennheiser HD 598SR. I like the combo very much.
I do have a question: is there a consensus on this: should I leave the power on all the time? Or reduce the power to low output when not using it, or turn the volume down, or simply turn it off.

Possible answers include yes, no, or don't worry about it.

I had read almost nothing on this thread. After skimming through around 300 posts for any discussion on my question, and some ineffective searches, I gave up. So now I am simply asking.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #1,532 of 1,640
I have been using my Piety for a week or so. Headphones are Sennheiser HD 598SR. I like the combo very much.
I do have a question: is there a consensus on this: should I leave the power on all the time? Or reduce the power to low output when not using it, or turn the volume down, or simply turn it off.

I had read almost nothing on this thread. After skimming through around 300 posts for any discussion on my question, and some ineffective searches, I gave up. So now I am simply asking.
Thanks in advance.
I turn my piety off when not using. I left it on over night once by mistake and then listened to it and never heard a difference. So I just turn it on when i want to use it. Otherwise it stays off and unplugged. The wall warts stay very warm even when plugged in.

Aug 29, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #1,533 of 1,640

Thanks in advance.
Turn it off. I have a couple of large components that sound better after 4 or so hours on, but they have things such as huge transformers and components that change quite a bit with warm-up. A Piety should be warm within a couple of minutes.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,534 of 1,640
Turn it off. I have a couple of large components that sound better after 4 or so hours on, but they have things such as huge transformers and components that change quite a bit with warm-up. A Piety should be warm within a couple of minutes.
Thanks Amos. I don't disagree at all! But, is there anydownside to keeping it on 24/7?

Leo

Aug 30, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #1,535 of 1,640
Thanks Amos. I don't disagree at all! But, is there anydownside to keeping it on 24/7?

Leo
A slightly higher power bill at the end of the month? I've never seen anyone from Schiit say anything negative about leaving their gear on all the time.

Aug 30, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,536 of 1,640
A slightly higher power bill at the end of the month? I've never seen anyone from Schiit say anything negative about leaving their gear on all the time.
I've always left my Schiit DACs on and my Asgard 3 when I owned one.
I don't use the Piety much so I don't leave it on.

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #1,537 of 1,640
As a general rule, I always power down everything when not using, espcially while I'm away. It takes a short time to come up to temperature so I would rather not waste electric costs for nothing.

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,538 of 1,640

Thanks in advance.

I'd turn it off. It'll last longer that way. IME the Piety warms up quickly. Just started listening to my headphone system again last night after taking the summer off. It's been too hot for headphones.I turned the Piety on this morning and I'm using it to run my Sennheiser HD600's. Such a nice pairing along with an original Schiit Modius AKM4493 and Lokius.

* I've also noticed that when I turn the Piety on, the pilot light does not go on for about 30 seconds. Never really paid attention to this before,
but I noticed it the other day for the first time, when turning the Piety on in a dimly lit room.

Attachments

• IMG_20230902_101716.jpg
    IMG_20230902_101716.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,539 of 1,640
1695650159706.jpeg

I noticed that my stack has a tendency to get pretty toasty, plus I'd like to protect it from dust in my office, so I built a quick and dirty little Schiit stack shelf unit. Plenty of breathing room for all the components now and no more dust concerns. I've seen similar products on Amazon that are, like, $40, apparently pretty flimsy, and only have two tiers. So I did some research and managed to source all these parts for about half the cost, and I have enough extra parts to build one and a half more. Used the thickest acrylic I could reasonably source, so it's plenty sturdy. 3D modeled and printed a little jig to ensure I drilled the holes through the acrylic in the same place on every corner, screwed it all together, job's a good'un.

After a few weeks using this at work, I do really greatly enjoy this stack. The only problem is that I kind of regret relegating the Piety to the office, I enjoy it enough to want to keep it at home where I do much more listening. I find it synergizes particularly well with the HarmonicDyne Zeus, but that's an open-back so it's not a good office headphone. So I sort of have to keep the great amp/headphone combo separated if I want to make the Piety my work amp.

I might get a regular Magni in the future for use at work so I can bring the Piety back home. Or, I do have a spare Liquid Spark just collecting dust at the moment I could bring to the office. But the mismatched stack might be a cure that's worse than the disease!

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #1,540 of 1,640
1695650159706.jpeg

I noticed that my stack has a tendency to get pretty toasty, plus I'd like to protect it from dust in my office, so I built a quick and dirty little Schiit stack shelf unit. Plenty of breathing room for all the components now and no more dust concerns. I've seen similar products on Amazon that are, like, $40, apparently pretty flimsy, and only have two tiers. So I did some research and managed to source all these parts for about half the cost, and I have enough extra parts to build one and a half more. Used the thickest acrylic I could reasonably source, so it's plenty sturdy. 3D modeled and printed a little jig to ensure I drilled the holes through the acrylic in the same place on every corner, screwed it all together, job's a good'un.

After a few weeks using this at work, I do really greatly enjoy this stack. The only problem is that I kind of regret relegating the Piety to the office, I enjoy it enough to want to keep it at home where I do much more listening. I find it synergizes particularly well with the HarmonicDyne Zeus, but that's an open-back so it's not a good office headphone. So I sort of have to keep the great amp/headphone combo separated if I want to make the Piety my work amp.

I might get a regular Magni in the future for use at work so I can bring the Piety back home. Or, I do have a spare Liquid Spark just collecting dust at the moment I could bring to the office. But the mismatched stack might be a cure that's worse than the disease!
Lovely mini shelving for your stack! I'm in the process of setting up for moving in the near future but once I get there I'd love to get one of these going for myself as well. Are there any guides/instructions for a diy shelving like this?

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #1,541 of 1,640

The piety is the only mini headphone amplifier that I have owned that offers superior sound quality. It may not resolve the last bit
of information in recordings, however, it has a very pleasant tone that offers fatigue free listening for hours. IMO, it is easily one of the best values in headphone amplifiers on the market.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #1,542 of 1,640
Lovely mini shelving for your stack! I'm in the process of setting up for moving in the near future but once I get there I'd love to get one of these going for myself as well. Are there any guides/instructions for a diy shelving like this?

I used this acrylic:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5KLVB31
4x 5x7in 3mm

These brass standoffs:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803451774276.html
8x male-female M3 50mm
4x female-female M3 50mm

And these brass cap screws:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832806385061.html
8x M3 6mm

All the acrylic was $15, all the brass was another $12, and like I said, there's enough extras to build more. Just drill a hole in every corner of every acrylic sheet you intend to use and screw all the brass together. Anything you can do to ensure you drill all your holes in the exact same place in every corner will go a long way, though. I 3D-printed a drilling guide because I have a 3D printer and this was a perfect use for one, but you can be just as precise with some carefully drawn pencil lines.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #1,543 of 1,640
The only problem is that I kind of regret relegating the Piety to the office, I enjoy it enough to want to keep it at home where I do much more listening.

The Nitsch website has more listed for sale if you're interested.

:beerchug:
JC

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #1,544 of 1,640
The piety is the only mini headphone amplifier that I have owned that offers superior sound quality. It may not resolve the last bit
of information in recordings, however, it has very tone that offers fatigue free listening for hours. IMO, it is easily one of the best values in headphone amplifiers on the market.
Yup, couldn't agree more. I also bought a RebelAmp at about the same time, and honestly, for all the great things I've heard about the RebelAmp, I'm struggling a bit to recommend it when the Piety also exists for so, so much less money. The Piety was love at first listen, but the RebelAmp... it's taking me a little bit to warm up to yet. There's a hint of graininess to the highs that is just slightly off-putting for me. But maybe the graininess I'm hearing is coming from my DAC (Bifrost 2/64) and not the amp. It's so hard to say.

Either way, nothing bad to say about the Piety. Warm, musical, tube-like sound that complements everything I've ever listened to on it.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,545 of 1,640

Users who are viewing this thread

Back