NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,501 of 1,640
The easiest way to do this with the analog outputs would probably be to use an RCA switcher. Connect the Modi's RCA output into one of the RCA switcher inputs, and then the RCA switcher output to the amp's input. Then, connect the other various devices to the RCA switcher, using 3.5 mm-to-RCA adapters as needed. Since some of those are portables and I imagine they'll come and go, then it might be enough to have a two-input RCA switcher with one 3.5 mm-to-RCA cable hanging out of it that you move from one device to the next.

You can also consider connecting the Modi directly to at least one of those if you want. The Steam Deck, at least, will have no problem connecting to its USB input.
Thank you for the reply. Any suggestion on a RCA switcher?

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #1,502 of 1,640
Thank you for the reply. Any suggestion on a RCA switcher?
If you're happy with two inputs, and a cable to plug into one of the portables at a time, then I'd go with a Sys because it's the exact same size as the Modi and Piety. If you want to have more than one connected at the same time as the Modi, then you'd need something else, but I don't have one to recommend.

Aug 21, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,503 of 1,640
Just one at a time. I haven’t even heard of the sys. I’ll have to take a look. I know I’m a little unusual in wanting to have these systems use the Dac and amp. I know I could just use rca -> 3.5mm if I wanted to just use the amp. This is why I wish I could find a Schiit Hel 1. It would be perfect. Lol

What would the connection for this look like?

*edit*
Or would something like this in the coax jack work? https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Premium-SPDIF-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B00V436UQU

I just googled coax to 3.5mm and that’s what came up. Any reason that would work out of the coax jack on the back of the modi?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,504 of 1,640
Just one at a time. I haven’t even heard of the sys. I’ll have to take a look. I know I’m a little unusual in wanting to have these systems use the Dac and amp. I know I could just use rca -> 3.5mm if I wanted to just use the amp. This is why I wish I could find a Schiit Hel 1. It would be perfect. Lol

What would the connection for this look like?

*edit*
Or would something like this in the coax jack work? https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Premium-SPDIF-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B00V436UQU

I just googled coax to 3.5mm and that’s what came up. Any reason that would work out of the coax jack on the back of the modi?
I'm not sure I really follow where you're going now. The coaxial jack on the back of the Modi is a digital input, not an output, and the only input on the Piety is an analog dual RCA input, so the only way to get something out of a Modi and into the Piety is by connecting the Modi RCA outputs to the Piety, either through a (stereo, analog) RCA switcher or connected directly. Sys is a two-input, one-output analog RCA switcher. It's in the preamp category on Schiit's website.

If you want to connect the devices directly to the Modi, so that it's responsible for digital-to-analog conversion, then the Steam Deck can definitely connect to the USB input on the Modi. I know a Switch can work with some USB DACs, but I've never tried with a Schiit DAC. The 3DS can only output analog, and I think the same is true of the Vita, so those will have to go through an analog RCA switcher.

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #1,505 of 1,640
I'm not sure I really follow where you're going now. The coaxial jack on the back of the Modi is a digital input, not an output, and the only input on the Piety is an analog dual RCA input, so the only way to get something out of a Modi and into the Piety is by connecting the Modi RCA outputs to the Piety, either through a (stereo, analog) RCA switcher or connected directly. Sys is a two-input, one-output analog RCA switcher. It's in the preamp category on Schiit's website.

If you want to connect the devices directly to the Modi, so that it's responsible for digital-to-analog conversion, then the Steam Deck can definitely connect to the USB input on the Modi. I know a Switch can work with some USB DACs, but I've never tried with a Schiit DAC. The 3DS can only output analog, and I think the same is true of the Vita, so those will have to go through an analog RCA switcher.
Apologies, I was swinging for the fences here trying to figure out what to do here.

Can you tell me what the chain and hook ups would be if I introduced a Sys to my setup for systems like the vita sun 3ds? For the Switch and Steam Deck I would assume I’d just do usb c from the switch/deck to the usb c port on the modi?

I REALLY appreciate your responses. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,506 of 1,640
For a setup like that, I would connect the RCA stereo output of the Modi to the first RCA stereo input of the Sys and turn the Sys volume knob all the way up. I would connect a 3.5 mm-to-RCA cable to the second RCA input of the Sys. I would connect the output of the Sys to the input of the Piety. Then, I can switch between either the Modi (Sys set to input 1), or whatever is connected to the 3.5 mm cable (Sys set to input 2).

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,507 of 1,640
For a setup like that, I would connect the RCA stereo output of the Modi to the first RCA stereo input of the Sys and turn the Sys volume knob all the way up. I would connect a 3.5 mm-to-RCA cable to the second RCA input of the Sys. I would connect the output of the Sys to the input of the Piety. Then, I can switch between either the Modi (Sys set to input 1), or whatever is connected to the 3.5 mm cable (Sys set to input 2).
The sys is such a flexible piece of gear that it has many uses. And it sounds ridiculously good for a $49 preamp!

Aug 21, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #1,508 of 1,640
K sorry for the stupid question.

I have a Piety, and a Modi multi-bit 2. I have the Piety and Modi linked via rca and the multi-bit connected to my MacBook via USB-C.

I WANT to be able to connect various items (my Switch, PS Vita, Steam Deck, 3DS, etc) via 3.5mm to my stack. Is there a way to do this?
Can connect your switch, steam deck etc to modi via coax or preferably optical. Vita/3DS via 3.5mm

but it will be a lot of cables etc I wouldn't bother for most devices...

Aug 21, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #1,509 of 1,640
To connect a Switch or Steam Deck to a coaxial SPDIF input, you would need to add an HDMI audio extractor with a SPDIF output to pull the audio off the combined HDMI signal and send it along. It works (that's how my setup is configured) but it will require more equipment.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,510 of 1,640
Thank you so much for this. I’ll look at adding a sys here soon. They seem pretty cheap. I’ll get a pair of RCA to 3.5 so run the vita, 3ds, etc and it’ll be off to the races. Thanks so much!

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,511 of 1,640
I have used my Piety with a Modi 2 Uber via a Schiit EITR and the pair work nicely. IMHO the Modi 2 Uber is a very nice
sounding dac for the money that has always been overshadowed by the Modi Multibit. Both dacs have suffered from
poorly implemented generation 2 USB inputs (remedied by use of the EITR), but other than this caveat, they offer a lot
of performance for the money. I believe that the latest modi models use a form of Unison implemented USB which
remedies the earlier reliability problems with the 2nd generation USB input.
What problems would that be? Atm I have a Modi Multibit 1 (could be either first or updated version of this first model but idk for sure what version it is) and its performance is great. Have no real issues with it, but would it be worth it to ask Schiit about updating it to Unison? Idk if that's even a thing they can do but if not, no real worries. My Modi Multibit 1 is my favorite dac atm.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #1,512 of 1,640
What problems would that be? Atm I have a Modi Multibit 1 (could be either first or updated version of this first model but idk for sure what version it is) and its performance is great. Have no real issues with it, but would it be worth it to ask Schiit about updating it to Unison? Idk if that's even a thing they can do but if not, no real worries. My Modi Multibit 1 is my favorite dac atm.
The second generation of Schiit dac's were known for reliability issues with their USB inputs. This is why Mike Moffat developed
the Schiit EITR USB to S/PDIF converter. My Modi 2 Uber was basically unusable through its USB input. Constant connection
drops. With the EITR the Uber works perfectly, since instead of using the Uber's USB input, the computer runs to the EITR's USB input,
which then routes the signal to the Uber's coaxial input; thus completely bypassing the Uber's USB input.

If you're not having a problem with your Modi Multibit's USB input, then there's no reason to change it. I don't think there
is a Unison modification for the original Modi Multibit anyway, but you can email Schiit to find out for sure.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #1,513 of 1,640
The second generation of Schiit dac's were known for reliability issues with their USB inputs. This is why Mike Moffat developed
the Schiit EITR USB to S/PDIF converter. My Modi 2 Uber was basically unusable through its USB input. Constant connection
drops. With the EITR the Uber works perfectly, since instead of using the Uber's USB input, the computer runs to the EITR's USB input,
which then routes the signal to the Uber's coaxial input; thus completely bypassing the Uber's USB input.

If you're not having a problem with your Modi Multibit's USB input, then there's no reason to change it. I don't think there
is a Unison modification for the original Modi Multibit anyway, but you can email Schiit to find out for sure.
For sure. Thanks for the response! I have a regular Modi+ as a backup Schiit dac because I've been enjoying my Modi Multbit that I bought preowned. If anything happens to this one I could send it in for a repair or maybe towards an upgrade perhaps. But yeah so far I've had 0 issues with my Modi Multibit.

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #1,514 of 1,640
I WANT to be able to connect various items (my Switch, PS Vita, Steam Deck, 3DS, etc) via 3.5mm to my stack. Is there a way to do this?
A Saga with 3.5mm-to-RCA adapters then into the MagPi? Probably one of the cheapest solutions out there.

Aug 21, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #1,515 of 1,640

Users who are viewing this thread

Back