NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #302 of 1,640
Further listening and I feel like Magni+ is the better pairing with HD650

Maybe too much of a good thing with the midrange forwardness of both together. I feel like if you have mildly V shaped headphones that needs little mid saturation this would be perfect.

Did you try the low gain on the Piety with HD650? I think it would've played better with 650 than hi-gain. Low gain makes the bass tighter and treble more extended with mids a bit less bloomy compared to hi-gain

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #303 of 1,640
Did you try the low gain on the Piety with HD650? I think it would've played better with 650 than hi-gain. Low gain makes the bass tighter and treble more extended with mids a bit less bloomy compared to hi-gain

Yes I have to use low gain anyway or I have little to no volume play on high.

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #305 of 1,640
My magpie arrived down under today… very happy with shipping time! RCA interconnects are at work so can’t use it yet but will be trying with TA-ZH1ES, Mojo 1 and 2, and WM1A as sources powering Utopia OG, HD800s, HD6xx, MDR/IER-Z1R and Z7M2, and assortment of ChiFi IEMs. Can’t wait to see how it performs!

The case colour is quite pleasant in person!

Edit: also have a HE6SE v2 on the way and very curious how it will go driving this.

Attachments

• 10913711-1958-4B8A-9A10-53B22FE41457.jpeg
    10913711-1958-4B8A-9A10-53B22FE41457.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #307 of 1,640
Mine finally came in today!

C3E80ED8-2667-40D8-A0BC-71EDFBE10D8A.jpeg

Okay, I knew I had to get my hands on this baby amp after hearing it at the community meet in October. After listening to the Piety with my own headphones, I can’t even fault those who’ve gotten theirs and have been stingy (my perception) with sharing impressions. I’ve been sitting listening to this thing for the past 4 hours. I was initially a bit anxious looking at everyone’s planar pairings and seeing headphones with impedances under 30 ohms. But my fears allayed hearing my T50RP and LCD-2.2 PF on the Piety. You still get every bit of the dynamics, solid-state speed and harmonic sweetness through those headphones as with any. Both paired satisfactorily.

Edit: also have a HE6SE v2 on the way and very curious how it will go driving this.
This actually surprised me. The HE6SE on the Piety is actually a satisfying pairing. Someone here mentioned how the mids get bloomy and highs tapered on high gain. I feel like this actually compliments the HE6SE nicely all while maintaining the Piety’s best attributes: dynamics, speed and sweetness. On low gain you definitely definitely run it loud enough at near 5 o’clock for me but headroom gets narrow. High gain is loud enough around 2-2:30 o’clock and again has the favorable tone for the HE6SE.

Congrats to @CEE TEE for releasing a HIGHLY satisfying product. This tiny thing is a force to be reckoned with. Who’d ever think we could get this caliber of sound out of this baby amp? Probably @Jason Stoddard.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #311 of 1,640
The Piety sounds like a winner. I'm curious why Schiit didn't release an amp like this?
It was one of Jasons designs you know! It was just not 'mass' produced probably due to parts difficulties and maybe because Magni 3+ (now updated to Magni +) were more viable designs in production.

Edit: The Piety was an awesome amp, Jason explained, but its reliance on out-of-production parts made it infeasible for Schiit to produce at scale; Jason had moved on to other projects.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #312 of 1,640
It was one of Jasons designs you know! It was just not 'mass' produced probably due to parts difficulties and maybe because Magni 3+ (now updated to Magni +) were more viable designs in production.

Edit: The Piety was an awesome amp, Jason explained, but its reliance on out-of-production parts made it infeasible for Schiit to produce at scale; Jason had moved on to other projects.
Good to know. Thank you.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #313 of 1,640
The Piety sounds like a winner. I'm curious why Schiit didn't release an amp like this?
Yeah basically what Baten said, Jason at the time had 3 designs and the first design became Magni 3+, the second design was the Piety. But yeah since Magni generally sell at large scale so they couldn't obtain enough parts to make Piety so they went with option 1 instead.

That and now Jason seems to like Magni+ more anyway so it's a no brainer that would be the better choice for him.

I haven't heard either and I'm still waiting for my Piety, but I'd imagine in terms of technicality I think Magni+ is better. For those that prefer Piety it would probably due to tonal preference + headphone pairing.

Though I just paid my customs fee, works out something like $204 Piety + $64 shipping + $46 tax = total $314 or so. Making the price 150% of original price (price in CAD). :sweat_smile:

Hopefully it would arrive soon.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #314 of 1,640
Yeah basically what Baten said, Jason at the time had 3 designs and the first design became Magni 3+, the second design was the Piety. But yeah since Magni generally sell at large scale so they couldn't obtain enough parts to make Piety so they went with option 1 instead.

That and now Jason seems to like Magni+ more anyway so it's a no brainer that would be the better choice for him.

I haven't heard either and I'm still waiting for my Piety, but I'd imagine in terms of technicality I think Magni+ is better. For those that prefer Piety it would probably due to tonal preference + headphone pairing.

Though I just paid my customs fee, works out something like $204 Piety + $64 shipping + $46 tax = total $314 or so. Making the price 150% of original price (price in CAD). :sweat_smile:

Congrats on your Piety! I'm a Schiithead so I've owned a Magni and the various incarnations of it. I had an Asgard 2 and now have an Asgard 3 but I haven't used it since buying a Vali 2++ and buying a JAN GE 5670W tube for it. I also like my Drop THX789 so I might order a Heretic just for fun with the Magni+.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #315 of 1,640

Trust me, the Piety is worth $314 CAD (I paid $320 CAD in total)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back