Nintendo Revolution controller!
Sep 20, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear
Sure, just like better sound has nothing to do with music quality.
rolleyes.gif
Better graphics, better sound, they do much to enhance my enjoyment of games and music.

If you think about it, they really aren't that comparable. Worse sound quality in music would be comparable to a blurry screen than poor graphics. I can easily enjoy play Super Mario World, but I couldn't stand to listen to some Sufjan Stevens if the quality was crap!

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #62 of 69
I'm sick of people calling Nintendo a 3rd rate company, and the GC a 3rd rate console. This is ONLY true in North America, where all anyone wants is flash. Well, not grado lovers!!

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #63 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
I'm sick of people calling Nintendo a 3rd rate company, and the GC a 3rd rate console. This is ONLY true in North America, where all anyone wants is flash. Well, not grado lovers!!

e668a21c.jpg
= love hp-2 on

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #64 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandoj
If you think about it, they really aren't that comparable. Worse sound quality in music would be comparable to a blurry screen than poor graphics. I can easily enjoy play Super Mario World, but I couldn't stand to listen to some Sufjan Stevens if the quality was crap!

I think it still applies, if not 100%. Higher resolution, progressive scan, sharper and more varied textures, and filtering techniques all contribute to creating much higher detail and improving visibility.

It does sound like plenty of gamers are more forgiving than music fans when it comes to technology. Games are young and the technology is still progressing fast.

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #65 of 69
well it comes down to this, if the SQ on a good album is horrid, you wouldn't want to listen to it, it wouldn't be fun. Back when you first listened to it, it would suck, and then 20 years later it would suck. But if the graphics on a game are bad (I own pong, and 11+ other old consoles) you still enjoyed them 20 years ago, what's to stop you from enjoying them now? Not a damn thing!

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #66 of 69
I guess it depends on the game. Some games are more dependent on graphics than others. Resident Evil was a fantastic game, and scared the bejesus out of me when it came out on the PS1. Now if I go back and play it, the graphics are laughably outdated and the mood is ruined. Resident Evil 4 blows my mind today, but 10 years from now if I go back and play it, it'll be tougher to suspend my disbelief. A game like that offers great gameplay, but it also relies heavily upon graphics and sound to immerse me.

Technology just has to be good enough to reach a certain baseline for a given generation. After that, it art direction plays a bigger part. Legend of Zelda, the Wind Waker isn't exactly a technical tour de force, but it has a strong overall design and works well.

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #67 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear
I guess it depends on the game. Some games are more dependent on graphics than others. Resident Evil was a fantastic game, and scared the bejesus out of me when it came out on the PS1. Now if I go back and play it, the graphics are laughably outdated and the mood is ruined. Resident Evil 4 blows my mind today, but 10 years from now if I go back and play it, it'll be tougher to suspend my disbelief. A game like that offers great gameplay, but it also relies heavily upon graphics and sound to immerse me.

Technology just has to be good enough to reach a certain baseline for a given generation. After that, it art direction plays a bigger part. Legend of Zelda, the Wind Waker isn't exactly a technical tour de force, but it has a strong overall design and works well.

Indeed. I recall being very scared with Thief and Half Life. And actually, the graphics on 'em aren't *terrible* today. But you're right, something is lost.

The exceptions are, as you mentioned, games with simply magnificent storylines and gameplay. Deus Ex. Best. Game. Evar. And with the High Def pack being worked on by fans, soon, it will be loved all over again!

Oh yes, one final thing... I fired up Descent 3 the other day because I was bored, and was blown away. The game's something like 5 or 6 years old, and it allows for 1600x1200 resolution, AA, the works. Looks fabulous. Also runs quite smooth
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #69 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
just think if yer friend pisses u off when yer playng mario party, u can knuchuck their arse.

LOL "knuchuck"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back