Nintendo Revolution controller!
Sep 16, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #16 of 69
Actually, one of my favorite games is Death Tank. No need for fancy graphics there.
wink.gif

-Ed

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #17 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
LOL, you can keep telling yourself that when everyone else is enjoying kick @ss next gen graphics while you're playing with this one handed wonder. Oh, with a tethered thingy too.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

That's shankin' him!

To me gameplay/story comes first, but good graphics is definitely a plus. I don't think people would be paying such exorbant amts for new consoles and games if they werent getting better eye-candy.

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #18 of 69
Duh Im surprised no one sees it. Turn it horizontally and you have the old SNES controller. To use with the huge backlist they are planning to offer. That hump is for your finger. ^^vv ba ba select start.

Sep 16, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Ed, just remember that graphics have nada to do with game quality.

Sure, just like better sound has nothing to do with music quality.
rolleyes.gif
Better graphics, better sound, they do much to enhance my enjoyment of games and music.

People keep trotting out the old statement "I'll take gameplay over graphics any day." As if we live in an age where we have to choose one over the other. A competent developer will give us both.

I'm excited about all the new consoles. I don't mind Nintendo's bowing out of the technological arms race, but I'm bummed they've stated they're not even supporting HD. Even with today's consoles, just playing in 16:9 480p enhances the look. It certainly makes it a hell of a lot easier to follow the action, especially in racing and first-person games. Still, that controller looks pretty innovative, and if anyone can exploit it, it's Nintendo. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 will definitely offer some unbelievable looking games and great online play, but I'm not excited about the prices. I can wait.

Sep 16, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Duh Im surprised no one sees it. Turn it horizontally and you have the old SNES controller. To use with the huge backlist they are planning to offer. That hump is for your finger. ^^vv ba ba select start.

I saw that immediately. Seems a bit wide, but it'll work. Fighting games will still need their own dedicated peripheral though.

Sep 16, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #21 of 69
I think it is really really cool. At first i thought What? But then I thought to myself how many different ways you could use it. Which made me think of how cool it would be to "swing" a baseball bat or a sword for that matter. I think this is definatly the right direction. I mean look at DDR it is a similar concept to the more advanced stuff and everyone loves ddr. More interactive. I stopped playing games because everything is the same, I get bored with them very easily after I used to be a hardcore gamer, updating my computer every 6 months to keep up. But now everything seems blah. I got burnt out and realized everything is the same. It is fun playing games with friends but the only game I have played on my own in the last year is gran turismo 3. Call of Duty 2 will change that though. love that game
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #23 of 69
lol I forgot how bad video games fans could be.

First, I thought it looks cool!

Second, I watched the video. Eh, don't know about that. I don't play games to get a workout Then again, I am probably not Nintendo's target audience either.

Sep 16, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #24 of 69
When I saw the controller, I said What, what the hell is nintendo thinking but when I saw the video, it looks cool though. My only concern is how do you use that controller for SNES, N64 or gamecube games? I can only see that controller to be used w/ NES games only.

Btw, it kicks ass if you have at least 30inch tv but can you imagine playing it w/ 20-25 inch tv together w/ your friends
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
How on earth are you supposed to be able to reach all the buttons on the remote part? And why'd they bend the d-pad part??!?! Apparently no one that works at nintendo is left-handed!

I think nintendo is getting too "gimmicky" for me.

As far as I could tell, it's completely ambidextrous, which is a definite first. Personally, I think it's too much of a departure. I prefer to hold a game controller than a remote and Nintendo's last two systems had the best controllers in my opinion.

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #26 of 69
Nintendo has always been one to buck trends. The Gamecube was underpowered compared to Xbox/PS2, but it still held it's own, IMO. Sadly, the American market didn't think so, but then, we're talking about the type who consider Halo 2 and GTA3 to be the pinnacle of games. Not that they're bad, mind, but that type tends to be rather single minded. But I digress.

Nintendo has bucked trends sucessfully in the past, and I have faith they will do it again. Especially if they come through on their promise to make the Revolution play all Nintendo games ever created - NES/Famicom, SNES, GB/GBC/GBA/DS, N64, and Gamecube. That would just be beyond awesome.

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #27 of 69
I don't really understand why people are questioning this. If there is absolutely anything that Nintendo does better than games, it's controllers. And every single generation of Nintendo console has had a controller that initially people screamed bloody murder about, but their features ended up being copied by the other manufacturers because they worked so well.

How do you like that original flat dpad + buttons on your NES? "What? WHERE'S MY JOYSTICK??? How am I going to play games without a joystick?"

Or those shoulder buttons for your SNES? The ones that caused Sega to scrap their Genesis controller design in mid-stream to add shoulder buttons?

Oh, there's no way an analog joystick will ever work on a console controller. Not reliable enough and you can't afford to have an entire hand taken up with using the joystick. And Rumble Packs? What a stupid gimmick!

The only generation that Nintendo wasn't massively innovative was with the Gamecube controller, which is pretty much the DS2 controller with a different button layout. But it's still my favorite controller of the current generation, because it's much more comfortable in layout, for me at least.

RE: old games- Nintendo has already said that there through the adaptor port there will be first-party controllers for the GC and back library games (re-release of Goldeneye? Please). Otherwise yes, turning it sideways will give you that old NES or SNES controller.

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
RE: old games- Nintendo has already said that there through the adaptor port there will be first-party controllers for the GC and back library games (re-release of Goldeneye? Please). Otherwise yes, turning it sideways will give you that old NES or SNES controller.

Gangbusters. It would be sweet if we could use the old controllers for new games that do not require the motion sensing. Damn... now I need to try and get all the good Square RPGs I let my brother had when he took the SNES. Hmmmm.... FFVI... Chrono Trigger...

Sep 16, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #29 of 69
Nintendo has tended to do some great forward thinking in terms of controlers...

Yet at the same time Nintendo did produce the power-glove... and that bazooka thing... and that wierd 3-d thing.... hmmm....

Personally I think that the controller is revolutionary in concept but I'm not sure if it will work in the real world. It doesn't seem very comfortable to use... and the button lay-out seems inconvienent. I would guess that most action games will require the use of the auxillary control with an analog stick but other kinds of games (puzzels, slower rpgs etc.) may be playable without it.

Also, I'm not sure if people are ready for this radical of a departure from traditional controllers. People have invested a lot of time and enery into developing a particular skill set that is significantly challenged by this new system. I think a wiser move would have been some sort of a hybrid controlled that more or less looked like a traditional one, but integrated some freemovement tracking.

Sep 16, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
I don't really understand why people are questioning this. If there is absolutely anything that Nintendo does better than games, it's controllers. And every single generation of Nintendo console has had a controller that initially people screamed bloody murder about, but their features ended up being copied by the other manufacturers because they worked so well.

How do you like that original flat dpad + buttons on your NES? "What? WHERE'S MY JOYSTICK??? How am I going to play games without a joystick?"

Or those shoulder buttons for your SNES? The ones that caused Sega to scrap their Genesis controller design in mid-stream to add shoulder buttons?

Yeah, but this may be "too" innovative. Avg. joe gamer doesn't want use something complex, he wants to just presson some buttons and have fun. Leave the multi-hand-strange-button-layout crazy stuff to the PC gamers, they like it. Why not just a one piece nintendo controller, I'll never understand.

There's a lot to be said about simplicity, and I think the gc and psx controllers have it down. But who knows? the Rev's controller may move things forward for the better . . . or fail horribly and push gaming a step back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back