Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth leaked onto the net in full earlier today
Apr 16, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Heh, I'm not a NIN fanboy.

Hey, I am. My friends are ashamed to be near me when I bust out the ol' Fragility tour t-shirt with the flower on it.
biggrin.gif

I feel this is one of those, well its been 5,000 years, since my last one, I better give the fans out there some new stuff. Then I will release some singles, some different versions, and a remix album so all the silly Halo collectors have to break out their credit cards.

Afterall, have you seen that studio the guy is pimpin? Got to pay for all that gear somehow.

He is 40 btw.

ALL MHO!

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Why are we dicussing pirated album here.......this thread should be closed.

Actually, it is sort of Reznor's own fault. Who is he? Steve Jobs? What's up with releasing the single (and I believe the album to radio stations) more than a month before the album's release? Then holding preview "listening parties". Come on, in today's digital age, did he really not think this would leak? Ever heard of the Pentagon Paper's for christ's sake, let alone a dumb mp3 of an album? Or maybe he realized it was a mediocre album and he was looking for an excuse: "It didn't sell because it leaked!"

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #34 of 58
Hehe,

I decided to check out some NIN forums to see what the youth were saying. Little did I know half of the Head-Fi music forum was posting there.'

You know who you are.

Its a small small internet.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #35 of 58
To be fair, isn't this not too unlike the song Memorabilia?

Quote:

Yeah, he does that a couple of times on this album. It doesn't really work. I'm not sure why he's trying to pull it off.

Also, "The Collector" gets the award for worst lyrics of 2005

"I pick things up
I am a collector
And things, well, things they tend to accumulate
I have this net
It drags behind me
It picks up feelings for me to feed upon"

I don't even know what to say about that jesus christ

Apr 17, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #36 of 58
I used to be the worlds biggest NIN fanboy. I owned about 10 nin tshirts in high school, still have them packed away. I was introduced to NIN in 1992, at the time I was in about 6th or 7th grade. I listened to primarily grunge as it was what they played on mtv and whatnot. One day one of my friends older brothers put on Broken and I was like a deer in the headlights, I had never heard anything like that.

Since then I went on to collect all the halos, some of the first cds I purchased, I think trents best work was the Fixed remix EP, TDS, Further Down the Spiral, and the soundtrack to the game Quake. The Perfect Drug was pretty good, but The Fragile wasn't very good IMO. I know a lot of nin fans tend to be divided into pre-Fragile and post fragile but seriously, I don't listen to as much hardcore music as I used too, so the fact that The Fragile isn't as hard as previous efforts doesn't bother me. It just isn't very well done. Pink Floyd's The Wall was a much better "concept" album than The Fragile could ever hope to be. Trent just didn't know what to write after TDS. I remember after he produced Mason's cds and the Lost Highway soundtrack he said in interviews he was thinking of just becoming a producer and not making new music.

That said this leaked version of With Teeth is pretty well done, I like the majority of songs, but music has progressed since NINs day of influence. Now I listen to more experimental electonic artists and my nin fanboy days are long past for the most part. I still love the music but I do have other favorites. Now I listen to more Aphex Twin, Autechre, and Biosphere than NIN.

Apr 17, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
To be fair, isn't this not too unlike the song Memorabilia?

Yeah but memorabilia had a certain authenticity to it, it wasn't so forced, and it was made mainly by chris vrenna IIRC
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Memorabilia is a) a Soft Cell cover and b) doesn't mention collecting things in a net so no, it's nowhere near as bad lyrically.

Mabey Trent pines to be a fisherman.

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #40 of 58
after about 5 listens, i think the album is pretty dang good, except for The Hand That Feeds, which i still don't like. i don't think With Teeth is as good as The Fragile or The Downward Spiral, but i still like it a lot. i'm rather relieved, as i was afraid it would be a waste of money after reading the comments here. to me, With Teeth is Trent's vision of a pop album, just as Pretty Hate Machine was his vision of a darkwave album, TDS was his vision of an IDM/industrial album and The Fragile was his vision of a concept album.

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
after about 5 listens, i think the album is pretty dang good, except for The Hand That Feeds, which i still don't like. i don't think With Teeth is as good as The Fragile or The Downward Spiral, but i still like it a lot. i'm rather relieved, as i was afraid it would be a waste of money after reading the comments here. to me, With Teeth is Trent's vision of a pop album, just as Pretty Hate Machine was his vision of a darkwave album, TDS was his vision of an IDM/industrial album and The Fragile was his vision of a concept album.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

He still has to pay for that studio though.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

He still has to pay for that studio though.
evil_smiley.gif

heh, speaking of Trent having to pay the bills, he ocassionaly sells his old stuff on ebay. there is a guy at the Ars Technica forum that bought a 21" Apple CRT Studio Display from him, and Trent signed it in white paint. how cool is that!?

Apr 18, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
WoW

THAT breaks the coolness scale and leaves little pieces of James Dean on the floor.

that would be an interesting car commercial; "The 550 Spyder, a car so cool it left little pieces of James Dean all over the highway".
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #45 of 58
I loved NIN until Trent Reznor became happy. Then, it just wasn't quite the same.

How's the new album or his more recent work? Did he get back to the music-to-commit-suicide-by like "Something I Can Never Have" on PHM, or is he getting happier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back