Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth leaked onto the net in full earlier today
Apr 15, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 58
Damn. Not so good. Feels like it is really lacking emotion. Kinda gives me the feeling of when an artist releases 2 or more albums in a year- Making music for the sake of it without trying to convey anything. The evil part of me wants to see Trent go through some major hardships so he can put some feeling back into his music.
tongue.gif

Although, the Downward Spiral kind of marks the lowest you can go.

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Why are we dicussing pirated album here.......this thread should be closed.

How do you know I don't work for Rolling Stone and haven't heard a promo copy? How do you know that? Don't make assumptions. Nobody's doing or saying anything illegal in this thread.

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 58
yes... it probably should... but it's so exciting :p

mmm... NIN... dualdisc.... 5.1 dvd-audio..... mmmmmmmmm

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 58
It's music... lets talk about it.

I've been having some mixed feelings on this one aswell. Not really a fan of the single (kind of dull to me) but new NIN... so tempting... so tempting.

Apr 15, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
ok, so your NIN preferences are more or less the same as mine. i'm rather ambivalent about The Hand That Feeds single, but i knew that With Teeth was going to be in a totally different directions from The Fragile from all the trent Q&A's on nin.com. personally, i don't like to make up my mind from leaked copies. who knows if it's actually the final version? with Bjork's Medulla, i downloaded the leaked copy as soon as it hit the net and i wasn't all that impressed. when i bought the album, however, i was totally blown away because there were multiple layers of complexity that just weren't present in the leaked copy and it took multiple listens to really get everything. i have liked basically everything that NIN has put out, so i'm going to reserve judgement until i get my hands on an actual copy, which should be May 5th.

Well, it would appear that i'm the only one who read your post, Edipis. The albums mentioned are among my favorite NIN releases as well, and I, like you, plan to withhold my judgement until i hear what trent has approved for release.

As an aside, the nin mailer mentioned a rerelease of the single (halo 18v2) on a 10" vinyl. Not to threadjack, but what does trent hope to achieve by offering a digital recording on an analog medium? This has likely been answered elsewhere, so feel free to respond via PM to avoid forgetting what we're really here to discuss: immature piracy is not concerned first and foremost with quality, and in no way guarantees a completed, fully-layed tracklisting.

I trust trent will produce a great-sounding album, irregardless of whether or not he's playing around with a new style.

Apr 15, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 58
I'm not surprised (and I trust Minya's opinion implicitly) I thought that single was lousy. Trent trying to create a crescendo at the end with his vocals is almost embarassingly bad.

Apr 15, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Trent trying to create a crescendo at the end with his vocals is almost embarassingly bad.

Yeah, he does that a couple of times on this album. It doesn't really work. I'm not sure why he's trying to pull it off.

Also, "The Collector" gets the award for worst lyrics of 2005

"I pick things up
I am a collector
And things, well, things they tend to accumulate
I have this net
It drags behind me
It picks up feelings for me to feed upon"

I don't even know what to say about that jesus christ

Apr 15, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #25 of 58
WOW. This is awful.

Okay, maybe not awful. Lacking is good enough an adjective for now. Will have to listen one more time...

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #26 of 58
I have been a nin fan for a long time, but the lyrics have never been Trent's strong point
tongue.gif
I tend to ignore the lyrics for most of his songs.

As for the music, I like this CD a lot, way more focused than The Fragile. I have listened to it through twice now. Does it measure up to PHM, Broken, TDS? Well it has been a long time since the NIN sound became mainstream so there is no way it can have the impact, so I think musically it is as good but it lacks the punch it would have had in the early-mid 90s.

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
according to posts on torrentspy, the leaked files are not the final version, and in fact may be unmastered. just something to keep in mind.

"Posts on Torrentspy" are hardly a viable source. I've heard bootlegs of most of these tracks (from NIN's recent live shows) and they match up. And it sounds pretty decently mastered to me. Of course that's a possibility, but if it's true, the final versions will have to be drastically different to change my opinion.

also: "OMG THIS HAS TO BE FAKE!" (see: new Daft Punk) is the new way to say "OMG MY FAVORITE BAND DISAPPOINTED ME"

Apr 16, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #29 of 58
Wow, even minya not pleased with the new stuff...

With Teeth is going triple platinum baybee! Watch for bumper stickers in a high school parking lot near you. No offense to the teenagers among us.
wink.gif

Seriously though, I like the new stuff. It is more poppy for sure, but I never considered that a bad thing. It has what I look for in a NIN album - cool production, catchy songs, and those oh so classic NIN sounds.

Of course, I am from the PHM generation, so something tells me, more us will be pleased than those introduced to NIN through TDS and Fragile.

But, the fact is, Trent has hit 40 and been sitting around playing Quake a long time. His chances for writing another opus are probably slim unless Itunes gets behind it. Enjoy it for what it is- new music from NIN.

IMHO

Apr 16, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Wow, even minya not pleased with the new stuff...

Heh, I'm not a NIN fanboy. I'm just an old fan and I have (perhaps "had?") faith that he could keep it together for another album. I'm not so sure anymore.

Is he actually 40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back