NIN: The Slip - Free High Resolution!!!!
May 7, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #61 of 96
Now this is how things should be done. None of that finishing an album then waiting an obscenely long time to finally release it (looking at you Opeth). This album is also a double whammy. Not only is it free but it's actually pretty good. 1 Mil is a great starting song, and even Discipline is starting to grow on me. Odds are I'll be buying this one when it comes out on CD.

May 7, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #62 of 96
Yesterday, I listened to NIN’s’ latest for the fifth time; a good sweet spot for me, so time for a break. To quickly burn out such a fun collection of tracks, would be shameful.

Corona Radiata is the most interesting song on the album. I wish Ghosts’ scattered ideas were shortened and melded into a group of similar, lengthy ambient progressions. It would help what was inspired at best, self-indulgent at worst.

The rest of Slip is super enjoyable, kind of like a Nine Inch Nails crock-pot.: Mix in the classic ingredients then taste the familiar with a thin twist. The result is an album for the fan that does not ask her to move an inch. Grab the couch. Trent has whipped up some comfort food.

May 7, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #63 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious: How do you listen to the 24/96 version? Can you listen in HD through your computer? Can you burn an HD CD?

I just load them up in iTunes, and hit play.
Using my Electrocompaniet ECD1 (external DAC) hooked up to my computer through optical S/PDIF.

Works like a treat!

May 8, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #64 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using my Electrocompaniet ECD1 (external DAC) hooked up to my computer through optical S/PDIF.

Works like a treat!

That works for me. I just wasn't sure that I would actually be getting high rez playback (and I'm sure I would've been oblivious). I've learned that my music player (Amarok) does not support 24 bit playback, so I'll have to find an alternative (maybe rhythmbox). My wife has confiscated the mac, and I don't want to run windows, so linux is the best alternative. NIN will give me a great excuse to tinker with my setup!

May 9, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #65 of 96
OK, this album is really growing on my. I honestly don't have a problem with a single track on the album. It's definitely a more solid, focused album than YZ, which just seemed to be a bit too long, and that's coming from a big fan of The Fragile. So far my faves are 1 Mil, Echoplex, and Lights in the Sky. It's also got me revved up to see NIN live again, and the tickets go on sale tomorrow. Personally, I would love to see what he could do with Lights in the Sky live. You know, video screens and such. Kinda like what he does with Beside you in Time. Yeah, that would rock.

May 9, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #66 of 96
mwallace573, where are you seeing them? I might well be seeing them at Virgin Music Festival in Baltimore, MD, in August. Tickets are expensive but the lineup is ridiculous this year.

May 9, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #67 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Works like a treat!

Its just a shame that as soon as you want to put them on your iPod you have to convert them.

Im starting to get in to the album now, it didnt totally gel the first couple of times i listened to it, but it is certainly going to grow on me other the coming weeks.

I've only recently got into NIN and really loving their stuff, just a shame im now left wanting their entire back catalogue and dont have a penny to my name!

May 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #68 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its just a shame that as soon as you want to put them on your iPod you have to convert them.

Yes, that's a bit annoying.
At least iTunes should gives us the option to resample to a format supported by the iPod.

May 11, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #69 of 96
I downloaded one of the 24bit tracks and compared it to the 16bit, Its obvious they are both from the same loud master with nearly identical waveforms. So those hoping for a vastly superior audio experience with the 24bit version will be disappointed. the spectrum plot is there just to show the 24bit/96khz does indeed have extra audio info above 22khz, but imo no advantage assuming decent dacs. i know i can't hear above ~18khz. So just grab the flac or mp3 versions.

May 11, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #71 of 96
I dont have semi decent equipment, but I dont see how this needs to be listened to at over the top sound quality. I dont have anything against this album, just that these kinds of sounds dont really require much do they? When I used ogg I would try this kind of thing at low bitrates and would probably be happy with the sound. My headphones were not as good then though.

May 11, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #72 of 96
How long 'til we get a true high-res audio format that overtakes CD? Right now NIN's only realistic option is to release via Blu-Ray, which ties people down to their home theater systems. Then again, most people would probably see forced high-res audio as a money-grab, since the benefits are less obvious than HDTV... I guess we're stuck with CD and vinyl.
tongue.gif

May 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #73 of 96
thought some of you would would to see this.

** UPDATE
Some friends at hydrogenaudio pointed out an error with the high resolution WAVE files we didn't catch. The corrected files are now posted along with high resolution FLAC files as well. If you're interested in these, simply re-download the new files.
Sorry for the hassle!

May 19, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #74 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnooP_WiggleS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I downloaded one of the 24bit tracks and compared it to the 16bit, Its obvious they are both from the same loud master with nearly identical waveforms. So those hoping for a vastly superior audio experience with the 24bit version will be disappointed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thought some of you would would to see this.

** UPDATE
Some friends at hydrogenaudio pointed out an error with the high resolution WAVE files we didn't catch. The corrected files are now posted along with high resolution FLAC files as well.

Well, I'm guessing that correcting this error has nothing to do with making it a vastly superior audio experience.

I downloaded the FLAC version (standard) last night and will probably be converting the tracks to WAV. Isn't there supposed to be artwork available for this album someplace?

Of course I still haven't listened to Ghosts yet.

May 19, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #75 of 96
What was the error, and did it apply to the FLAC 24/96 versions as well? Edit: After reading, it appears that the FLACs came later, and so are the fixed versions.

I thought this was some pretty cool info:

Quote:

Originally Posted by treznor
BTW, the record was recorded at 24/96 using a Lavry AD122-96MKIII, Antelope's Isochrone OCX clock and mixed in analog through the SSL AWS 900+. We mixed back into Pro Tools through the Lavry as well as a separate rig running at 24/192 using Apogee A/D. The mixes we chose varied song to song based on what sounded best to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back