NIN: The Slip - Free High Resolution!!!!
May 6, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #46 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnooP_WiggleS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already asked but whats the replaygain of the 24bit copy? i'd be interested in a rapidshare copy if its better than the flac/mp3 version (-9.23 album gain)

I didn't make any changes to the gain. I just simply downsampled the 24/96 to 24/48. After listening to it on my iPod I notice the iPod was having playback issues on Demon Seed for some reason (I think I was pushing my iPod cpu a little to hard) So I also made a copy of 24/41.1
frown.gif
and that fixed the problems. I am going to play with it some more tonight.

May 6, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #47 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radiohead's release of In Rainbows on the internet and the "pay what you feel it's worth" approach was really cool, I thought.

The key word here is "was". What Radiohead did was a shallow publicity stunt, whereas Reznor is really going all out to changes the music industry for the benefit of the artists and the fans. Look at the fact that Radiohead's online release was limited to 160 kbps and that the full release of the album was handled by a traditional record company in the same way as any of their other albums. The "pay what you want" campaign made a lot of people believe they were in it to change the industry, and many saw fit to donate to that cause.

From this article (regarding whether or not Radiohead would take the next step, like Reznor): Quote:

"I think it was a one-off response to a particular situation," the band's lead singer Thom Yorke told The Hollywood Reporter. "It was one of those things where we were in the position of everyone asking us what we were going to do. I don't think it would have the same significance now anyway, if we chose to give something away again. It was a moment in time."

Reznor really deserves the thanks of all music listeners, regardless of whether or not they appreciate his music. Radiohead, on the other hand, well... let's just say I'll be going back to the old way of getting their music.

May 6, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #48 of 96
Definitely a nice freebie from an awesome band. I saw them live a few years ago and though it ruined my ears it was the best rock concert I've ever gone to.

I just had to sell my Radiohead tix for this weekend which may have been in the running.... Having to work early on Monday blows....

May 6, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #50 of 96
I have downloaded the Apple Lossless and WAVE (24-bit/96KHz) versions.
Going to play with them for a while...

May 6, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #51 of 96
I got the FLAC yesterday and I must say this is a great album, and really came out of nowhere.

I think that I will also pick up the physical copy whenever he releases it, I think that it is worth my $.

May 6, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #52 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...........vintage Trent is back!

You get 6-7 solid tracks that sound like a follow-up to Downward Spiral album, Trent is pissed again, some great aggro and mid tempo tracks. Album closes with nice aggro track "demon seed" that has a nice fade in/out central section mind trip before building to a powerful climax

Then we have 3-4 slow atmospheric/ballad tracks that sound like they came from previous Ghost album to fill things out, not my cup of tea but that is what track advance control is for
redface.gif

I do like the very dark "four of us are dying" track, makes a nice intro or outro piece and here sets us up final track "demon seed"

Like colonelkernel8 said a big step up from Ghosts!

Yeah, having listened to Discipline beforehand I thought it might end up a bit With Teeth styled (though I have to say I prefer Discipline to a lot of the With Teeth and Year Zero stuff). Anyway, got on straight away and was hit by 1,000,000... much more aggressive and noisy than I expected, and it fortunately doesn't just apply to that track either. I like some slower stuff and instrumentals too, and really enjoyed The Four of Us are Dying.

Over-all I have to say it's more quality for me than With Teeth and Year Zero, and whilst it's not even 45 minutes I'd prefer that than having large length padded out with some fairly boring material (which happened with Ghosts I-IV somewhat in my opinion).

May 6, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #53 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, having listened to Discipline beforehand I thought it might end up a bit With Teeth styled (though I have to say I prefer Discipline to a lot of the With Teeth and Year Zero stuff). Anyway, got on straight away and was hit by 1,000,000... much more aggressive and noisy than I expected, and it fortunately doesn't just apply to that track either. I like some slower stuff and instrumentals too, and really enjoyed The Four of Us are Dying.

Over-all I have to say it's more quality for me than With Teeth and Year Zero, and whilst it's not even 45 minutes I'd prefer that than having large length padded out with some fairly boring material (which happened with Ghosts I-IV somewhat in my opinion).

Absolutely..........this is one of NIN's 3-4 best albums, Trent is back!
I haven't heard this high quality aggro style from Trent since Downward Spiral Days,
rock on.........\m/

May 6, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #54 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Download the program "utorrent" from µTorrent - The Lightweight and Efficient BitTorrent Client and open the torrent file with that application. The apple lossless version will then start downloading.

Thanks Mac! Got the Apple Lossless...took like ten hours but I got it! Good album, what an unexpected treat...

May 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #56 of 96
I downloaded the flac files. I think those are good enough for this album. It's sounds very good, but it's obviously self-produced, having a nice, slightly rough feel. It's nowhere near a garage band album, no way. Quite polished, but you can just feel that extra layer of refinement found in a uber-produced album is missing. Musically, I think it's my favorite out of the last three albums. Ghosts was nice, but boring. A little vocal goes a long way with NIN. I would have paid for the album and not been disappointed! I think its a nice meld of atmospheric NIN and old rock 'n' roll NIN to make a lot of listeners happy. Also very glad about Trent's trend in doing things via the Internet. Really a trendsetting accomplishment. Using bitorrent - bold and brassy on Trent's part. One reason he might be giving it away as a gift is his birthday next week (we share the same day) May 17th!

May 6, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #57 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I downloaded the flac files. I think those are good enough for this album. It's sounds very good, but it's obviously self-produced, having a nice, slightly rough feel. It's nowhere near a garage band album, no way. Quite polished, but you can just feel that extra layer of refinement found in a uber-produced album is missing. Musically, I think it's my favorite out of the last three albums. Ghosts was nice, but boring. A little vocal goes a long way with NIN. I would have paid for the album and not been disappointed! I think its a nice meld of atmospheric NIN and old rock 'n' roll NIN to make a lot of listeners happy. Also very glad about Trent's trend in doing things via the Internet. Really a trendsetting accomplishment. Using bitorrent - bold and brassy on Trent's part. One reason he might be giving it away as a gift is his birthday next week (we share the same day) May 17th!

"Happy Birthday, Trent (and Chad)" ... thanks for the present!

May 6, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #58 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious: How do you listen to the 24/96 version? Can you listen in HD through your computer? Can you burn an HD CD?

24/96 provides far less quantization noise than 16bit pcm, and has an extended frequency response out to 48kHz. With the right DAC it can sound bloody awesome.

You can listen to the 24/96 on your pc if you have a 24bit soundcard. You can burn it to a dvd-video disc for playback on a 24bit dvd player using the program: LPLEX , alternatively if you have a DVD-A authoring package you can make a DVD-A disc. Both will give the same result in terms of sound quality.

May 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #59 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can listen to the 24/96 on your pc if you have a 24bit soundcard.

Thanks for the reply. Will USB support 24 bit playback? Does it matter which music player you use?

May 7, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #60 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. Will USB support 24 bit playback? Does it matter which music player you use?

Yes USB will support the bitrate required for 24bit playback, make sure your usb DAC/sound device is 24bit though.

You can playback these 24bit WAV files with iTunes or Foobar (i think in foobar you need to select the 24bit playback option).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back