Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Jul 6, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #1,321 of 1,782
Hello! I am running 6V or 2V out of my Bartok into the US5. Would there be any benefit to increasing the input gain on the Niimbus to bolster the power to my Susvaras? Or would doing so clip the input running at 6V? Cheers

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #1,322 of 1,782
Just up the pregain step by step and listen.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #1,323 of 1,782
Hello! I am running 6V or 2V out of my Bartok into the US5. Would there be any benefit to increasing the input gain on the Niimbus to bolster the power to my Susvaras? Or would doing so clip the input running at 6V? Cheers
I feed my us4 with 5.8vrms from my holo audio may dac with xlr connections. No issues.

Jul 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,324 of 1,782
If anyone is looking for a mint US5 Pro to buy feel free to pm me.

Jul 13, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #1,326 of 1,782
I finally got a Niimbus. Can't wait to get home later on and check it out!!

Jul 15, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #1,327 of 1,782
I'm really having fun listening to Niimbus. So far so good!! Yesterday, and today, I've heard things in recordings I never knew were there. There's been a lot of "oh wow" moments. Has anyone here ever listened to Billy Thorpe? Children of the Sun sounded crazy with Niimbus! Great fun!!!

Going through the two Niimbus threads, there's a lot of different DAC's used. I wonder what the consensus would be on the (I know arguably and subjective) Dac brings out the best in Niimbus. My Yggdrasil is doing a great job, so who knows how much improvement I'd get from another one. When @project86 did his shootout review, he mentioned the Resonessence Labs Mirus Pro Signature, but I'm not sure they're making that one anymore. The Chord Dave/MScaler sounds like it would be amazing, but it's way up there in price. The Holo May sounds interesting too.

Anyway, back to listening. :L3000::beerchug:

Jul 15, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #1,328 of 1,782
I'm really having fun listening to Niimbus. So far so good!! Yesterday, and today, I've heard things in recordings I never knew were there. There's been a lot of "oh wow" moments. Has anyone here ever listened to Billy Thorpe? Children of the Sun sounded crazy with Niimbus! Great fun!!!

Going through the two Niimbus threads, there's a lot of different DAC's used. I wonder what the consensus would be on the (I know arguably and subjective) Dac brings out the best in Niimbus. My Yggdrasil is doing a great job, so who knows how much improvement I'd get from another one. When @project86 did his shootout review, he mentioned the Resonessence Labs Mirus Pro Signature, but I'm not sure they're making that one anymore. The Chord Dave/MScaler sounds like it would be amazing, but it's way up there in price. The Holo May sounds interesting too.

Anyway, back to listening. :L3000::beerchug:
i have found the niimbus (within its setup) is very responsive, good and bad, with all changes you may make in your system - from cables to dacs. So very much demo things and see how you go.

Jul 15, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #1,329 of 1,782
Stick with the OG, use low capacitance XLRs like Neotech, work on your transport if needed. Above all just enjoy and explore even more music.

Jul 15, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #1,330 of 1,782
Has anyone ever tried running a headphone from the back balanced XLR line outputs? I was thinking a 2x 3-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR cable would allow me to drive headphones off, which would help me compare headphones while driving them both balanced at the same time. Since I can control the volume of the line output from the front of the device as well, I don't really see why that wouldn't work.

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,332 of 1,782
What you want even do that?
To compare headphones. Just trying to find a way to make that easier without having to continuously plug and unplug. I was looking at just getting a simple 6.3mm to XLR adapter, that would be useful to have anyway, but that would end up with me driving one pair balanced and the other unbalanced. Not the end of the world, but was just exploring options.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #1,333 of 1,782
Has anyone ever tried running a headphone from the back balanced XLR line outputs? I was thinking a 2x 3-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR cable would allow me to drive headphones off, which would help me compare headphones while driving them both balanced at the same time. Since I can control the volume of the line output from the front of the device as well, I don't really see why that wouldn't work.
You can use the 4.4mm if you want to compare 2 balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back