Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Apr 21, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #1,261 of 1,772
My Niimbus 5 pro sounds good with a modded Directstream dac and Keces P3 power supply with a Perfectwave SACD player PST and an Auralic Aries G2.1 streamer. I enjoy Audeze LCD4 headphones and Abyss 1266 Phi TC headphones with Danacable Lazuli Nirvana cables to both headphones.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #1,262 of 1,772
I have these combo (May KTE, Niimbus US4, Susvara) for more then 1 year (Niimbus and Susvara more then 2 years) and even though I tried other headphone amps: Ferum Oor+Hipsos, Benchmark ahb2+Serene preamp, Headamp ge-x mini, topping a90, Singxer SA-1, I keep coming back to Niimbus US4. It is the most natural sounding and the only one so far that makes the Susvara have a 3D presentation around my head, sound coming in 3D shape from back, lateral, front, depending on the recording, with huge soundstage or small depending on the recording. Ferum Oor has the stereo imaging only in front, no lateral, back sound, a very good bass but something missing in the treble. HeadAmp Gs-x mini has a good tonality but all the stereo presentation is forwarded, singer or leading instrument is perceived between the ears, to close, and a lot of the arrangement falls in the back of the head. Benchmark AHB2 has a very clean presentation, natural sound depending on the preamp but doesn’t recreate that surrounding, 3D effect like Niimbus, no matter how hard I tried.
I have these combo (May KTE, Niimbus US4, Susvara) for more then 1 year (Niimbus and Susvara more then 2 years) and even though I tried other headphone amps: Ferum Oor+Hipsos, Benchmark ahb2+Serene preamp, Headamp ge-x mini, topping a90, Singxer SA-1, I keep coming back to Niimbus US4. It is the most natural sounding and the only one so far that makes the Susvara have a 3D presentation around my head, sound coming in 3D shape form back, lateral, front, depending on the recording, with huge soundstage or small depending on the recording. Ferum Oor has the stereo imaging only in front, no lateral, back sound, a very good bass but something missing in the treble. HeadAmp Gs-x mini has a good tonality but all the stereo presentation is forwarded, singer or leading instrument is perceived between the ears, to close, and a lot of the arrangement falls in the back of the head. Benchmark AHB2 has a very clean presentation, natural sound depending on the preamp but doesn’t recreate that surrounding, 3D effect like Niimbus, no matter how hard I tried. I sold a lot of gear and stick with Niimbus US4. These are all opinions with Susvara, I don’t know how these amps are with other headphones.
The burn in period of Niimbus is 1 month long and it doesn’t look as good as other amps but it is a keeper.
I felt (And agreed with the general views on headfi) that the kte needed some burn in - the only time i have ever kept a diary…til about 500 hours from memory

but i never felt my niimbus us4 needed burn in - enjoyed it from day 1 (with susvara)

but hey…ymmv :)

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #1,264 of 1,772
Was wondering if there’s any update on this. Is niimbus fully balanced?
Rest assured that thankfully the niimbus is NOT what some people considered fully balanced.

(My understanding is) the signal comes in balanced (xlr inputs) then converted to single which is how any interference/ noise is eliminated. Then it reverts to balanced before it comes to the balanced outputs

See page 12, 20 and 23 of manual

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/10212693.pdf

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #1,266 of 1,772
In the V280 and 281 manuals there is a discussion on why balanced is so important for headamps. And furthermore, Fried stated here or elsewhere that even unbalanced input signals are converted to fully balanced in these amps.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #1,267 of 1,772
Relatively new to the HP game and just purchased the US 5 Pro. :) Look forward to receiving it next week and pair it with my Elite and D8000 Pro.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,268 of 1,772
Relatively new to the HP game and just purchased the US 5 Pro. :) Look forward to receiving it next week and pair it with my Elite and D8000 Pro.
That is quite the pairing!

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #1,269 of 1,772
In the V280 and 281 manuals there is a discussion on why balanced is so important for headamps. And furthermore, Fried stated here or elsewhere that even unbalanced input signals are converted to fully balanced in these amps.
Fried indeed says pretty much anywhere he talks about his amps that a balanced output signal has many benefits, and this amps certainly delivers that. What @thecrow refers to in the manual above however, is about the internal signal processing.

A fully balanced amp would take balanced signals and processes these throughout the amp without the signals ever 'touching', as it were. As I understand it, the US4 and US5 (as well as all Violectric amps) - even when receiving a balanced signal through the XLR inputs - convert this to a balanced signal first, and then split it out again to create a balanced output signal. In that sense this amp is not 'fully balanced' throughout.

I'm pretty sure I read an detailed explanation somewhere by Fried as to why fully balanced processing doesn't have any advantages and can actually create issues (with the signal timing if I recall correctly), but unfortunately I just cannot find it anymore. If anyone remember where that explanation lives, please do post it as I think it's quite interesting. This is what is stated on page 20 of the US4 manual:

Signal processing inside NIIMBUS HPA US 4+ is always unbalanced. This is no disadvantage as the so called “fully balanced” signal processing often generates more issues that solving them. Further, only this method is capable to use the device also as a converter between unbalanced and balanced signals.
So Fried simply says there is no downside to processing signals unbalanced. Not too many details though.

Welcome to the club! Curious to hear how you experience the pairing with the Elite, I'm still looking to get one of those myself. Can't imagine it'll pair poorly with the US5 though :)

May 11, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #1,272 of 1,772
Anyone using their nimbus with the LCD5 with good/bad results?
I'm very happy with the pairing. The Niimbus gives a very neutral sound, full bodied and with great texture and a nice soundstage. It allows the LCD-5 to shine, given you like the stock tuning (like me), or are happy to EQ.

May 11, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #1,273 of 1,772
I'm very happy with the pairing. The Niimbus gives a very neutral sound, full bodied and with great texture and a nice soundstage. It allows the LCD-5 to shine, given you like the stock tuning (like me), or are happy to EQ.
with the niimbus and holo may, does the lcd5 ever get a bit too bright?

is it the kte/level 3 that you have with the may?

May 12, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #1,274 of 1,772
with the niimbus and holo may, does the lcd5 ever get a bit too bright?

is it the kte/level 3 that you have with the may?
To my ears, no. The combo of the May and Niimbus, along with the LCD5 never gets too bright for me, and I am quite sensitive to that. I did pick all three of those components because or their natural or transparant sound, and because if anything, all three lean more towards the warm side then the bright.

I also don't consider my LCD5 to be a bright headphone at all. I purchased it as a replacement to my Utopia, which I enjoyed, but which was too hot up top for me, and when comparing both, the LCD5 clearly smoothed out the high end to me. I know some people consider the LCD5 to be rather bright, but I'm not getting any of that. Could be just me, or my chain or maybe even unit variation.

I went for a Level 2 May, I was already stretching my budget, and didn't think the KTE would be worth the additional outlay to me.

May 23, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #1,275 of 1,772
Would any us5 owners be able to confirm the overall dimensions provided by vioelectric include the feet and the but above the volume knob?

Thankyou

Case dimensions: 351 x 59 x 248 mm (W x H x D)
Overall dimensions: 351 x 90 x 275 mm (W x H x D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back