Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Dec 13, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #1,201 of 1,772
This morning I took delivery of my US4+, which I was able to get with a nice discount along with a trade-in cash-back for my V280. Before sending my V280 back to the shop, I was able to do some comparison this morning. I tested with an LCD-3, HD800S, Utopia and a brand-new LCD-5 (also delivered this morning), all from my Lake People RS 06. I'm not great at this at all, so do take everything with the well known grain of salt.

In general, I would say the V280 and US4+ are more similar than they are different. Tuning to me is very similar, and while I was a little worried that the Niimbus would brighten the sound of my headphones, I find that it barely does, if at all. I do feel like the US4+ give up just a touch of bass quantity.

That said, when going back and forth between the two it's quite clear to me that the US4+ is the more resolving of the two. It has the better soundstage and placement within the soundstage, and teases out more details compared to the V280. Each time when going from the V280 to the US4+ I noticed the sound just cleared up and was cleaner and more detailed overall. It's not like the V280 has become muddy, but the US4+ does really up the level.

It wasn't until I plugged in the HD800S that I felt like the V280 was offering just a touch more warmth and musicality to a headphone that really needs it. I didn't really have time to do more comparisons between the amps with the HD800S though to really nail this down, so might just have been my imagination. On the flipside, the HD800S certainly lose definition, clarity and detail when going back to the V280.

I did not find the difference between the two to be massive at all, but once you start driving headphones in the Utopia and LCD-5 category, I think it's a worthy upgrade. Though not necessarily a must, as the V280 is certainly capable of driving all of these headphones to very pleasing levels. Please keep in mind that all of this was done with a Lake People RS 06, which is nice little DAC, but higher end devices might emphasize the differences between the amps more clearly.

The only area where the differences are anything but subtle is in the look and feel of the units. The US4+ is clearly the more handsome of the two, with a more mature and high-end look. I never did mind the look of the V280 too much, but I'm glad for the updated front panel. Much better. I really like the LED in the volume knob, so you can see your listening volume in the dark!

20211211_100735.jpg
Ty for your comprasion between V280 and Niimbus US4+. How much did you pay for the Niimbus ?

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,202 of 1,772
Ty for your comprasion between V280 and Niimbus US4+. How much did you pay for the Niimbus ?
Including the V280 trade-in, I ended up just above the price of a new V550 Pro (which I was also considering).

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #1,203 of 1,772
I did not find the difference between the two to be massive at all, but once you start driving headphones in the Utopia and LCD-5 category, I think it's a worthy upgrade. Though not necessarily a must, as the V280 is certainly capable of driving all of these headphones to very pleasing levels. Please keep in mind that all of this was done with a Lake People RS 06, which is nice little DAC, but higher end devices might emphasize the differences between the amps more clearly.

i very much agree with that paragraph, as you say, when you are driving hps in this category

including the susvaras that are driven with no issue and with nothing lacking at all - only dependant on personal preferences of course

and i know this is headfi and things change, so at risk of later contradicting myself, let me once again say that i will never need another ss hp amp again

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #1,204 of 1,772
Well I have had a week with the US5 Pro and I think it is a tremendous amp. I am not that experienced with a lot of different amps do bare that in mind, but this is streets ahead of anything I have ever heard.
I am using it with the Qutest and 1266TCs.

It is a very neutral a resolving amp, it is very clean and allows me to hear all of the instruments, they are separated so well and the clarity is stunning.

The bass is excellent to my ears, not too bloated , just the right amount for you to almost feel it , but without drowning out the rest of the instruments.

I can even hear a difference between the 4 filters of the Qutest.....well I think so, the differences are very subtle though.
I would imagine this would be a great amp to compare gear with as it is so neutral.

My apologies I am not that good at describing what I hear, but I just wanted to post a few of my thoughts.

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,205 of 1,772
Well I have had a week with the US5 Pro and I think it is a tremendous amp. I am not that experienced with a lot of different amps do bare that in mind, but this is streets ahead of anything I have ever heard.

It is a very neutral a resolving amp, it is very clean and allows me to hear all of the instruments, they are separated so well and the clarity is stunning.

The bass is excellent to my ears, not too bloated , just the right amount for you to almost feel it , but without drowning out the rest of the instruments.

I can even hear a difference between the 4 filters of the Qutest.....well I think so, the differences are very subtle though.
I would imagine this would be a great amp to compare gear with as it is so neutral.

My apologies I am not that good at describing what I hear, but I just wanted to post a few of my thoughts.
Which amp did u have before?

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,206 of 1,772
I had the Burson Conductor 3X Reference. Well still have it actually but not for much longer :relaxed:

Dec 14, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #1,208 of 1,772

Good to hear that its come up well for you too.
it’s not an inexpensive amp but it’s great, imho

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #1,209 of 1,772
You mean Niimbus much better?
Yes I think it is.
I have been very satisfied with the Burson but then I made a spontaneous purchase of the 1266TC, something I rarely do.
This started me to wonder just how good things could be with HP listening. The Burson and the TCs sounded awesome to me, but thats because the TC is such an awesome headphone for me.
The addition of the Qutest to the Burson then took it up another gear, much clearer sound and tighter bass etc. However the addition of a new amp was always my goal, but I was doubtful it would improve things that much as I was really enjoying what I had. But the Niimbus is just another level again. I guess it depends what you are looking for.
The Niimbus is so clean and detailed.

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #1,210 of 1,772
The Niimbus is so clean and detailed.
It is but it is not bright per-say. Using the VC the high frequencies sound natural and never over done.
Same across all frequencies.
I thought the bass maybe light reading on the internet about the device but no again it is just right. I feel like Goldilocks right now haha.
Very happy and this should stop any upgradeitus for many many years.

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #1,212 of 1,772
@SteveM324 i see you have picked up some new gear in the enleum amp and the us5 you ordered.

there doesn’t appear to be too many people that have owned both amps but both amps have their following and loyalty supporters.

when things come in and settle down wirh you it would be great to get a comparison of these two amps using the susvara and holo may dac (the former i own and the latter i have on order)

cheers

edit: @SteveM324 did not end up with us5. Bought enleum instead

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,214 of 1,772
never mind

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back