Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Dec 8, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #1,156 of 1,796
Well it has arrived today, what a lovely looking piece of kit.
I will set the Pre-gain to +12 to start with and see how it sounds. Going to leave it powered on for an hour before I listen to it.

One query
In the manual when advising on how to change the gain setting it says
The unit should - but must not - be switched off

A tad confusing does it mean switch it off when changing the settings ? Common sense would point me in this direction.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #1,157 of 1,796
This sounds like Fried telling you that you should really turn it off before changing the gain settings - but that he probably built in some safety to make sure it doesn't break even if you did change it with the device on.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #1,158 of 1,796
This sounds like Fried telling you that you should really turn it off before changing the gain settings - but that he probably built in some safety to make sure it doesn't break even if you did change it with the device on.
Maybe something lost in the translation then :relaxed:
I have not touched anything yet as letting it warm up for an hour or so first. I will adjust the settings when it is turned off though.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,159 of 1,796
Well it has arrived today, what a lovely looking piece of kit.
I will set the Pre-gain to +12 to start with and see how it sounds. Going to leave it powered on for an hour before I listen to it.

One query

A tad confusing does it mean switch it off when changing the settings ? Common sense would point me in this direction.
I typically switch it off.

I am sure it did come form a translation mistake from German to English

muss nicht = does not have to
darf nicht = must not

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #1,160 of 1,796
Maybe something lost in the translation then :relaxed:
I have not touched anything yet as letting it warm up for an hour or so first. I will adjust the settings when it is turned off though.
You are very patient. I just turned it on and off I went :)

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #1,161 of 1,796
Question for users that turn off their Niimbus during the day or overnight say.
I loose my LED brightness and line out settings.
Is this normal ? reading the manual it seems like it should retain them.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,162 of 1,796
Ok I am on +18 gain too to listen at 12 o clock, so yeah I guess I listen too loud too. :relaxed:

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #1,163 of 1,796
Dec 8, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,164 of 1,796
What?…🙉
Yeah this is more gain setting than I thought I would use. I had my booster jab yesterday and I do feel a little off colour today so this may explain it.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,165 of 1,796
Question for users that turn off their Niimbus during the day or overnight say.
I loose my LED brightness and line out settings.
Is this normal ? reading the manual it seems like it should retain them.

Do a software reset, then try again

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #1,166 of 1,796
Thanks I have tried that after your suggestion. Everything reset LEDs changed to their normal Luminosity and the line out returned to white.

Setting the LED's to the lowest brightness and the line out to off i then turned off the amp.
The issue persists. Reset again and tried just the LED's and the line out in separate tests and each time after a reboot the settings are lost.
Seems like there is no CR2032 or the like in this unit.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,168 of 1,796
Thanks I have tried that after your suggestion. Everything reset LEDs changed to their normal Luminosity and the line out returned to white.

Setting the LED's to the lowest brightness and the line out to off i then turned off the amp.
The issue persists. Reset again and tried just the LED's and the line out in separate tests and each time after a reboot the settings are lost.
Seems like there is no CR2032 or the like in this unit.

Did you save the settings with pressing XLR for 2s before turning off?

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,169 of 1,796
Dec 8, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,170 of 1,796
I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but as we got the units at the same time I thought I would test what you have experienced.
I dimmed the lights and slowed down the volume control and they both saved their settings with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back