Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,141 of 1,796
which do you initially prefer with the 1266 Phi TC and Sus so far? The US5 pro or the Oor + Hypsos combo?
The Oor + Hypsos is great with the 1266 and Sus but the US5 is at another level, in my opinion.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #1,142 of 1,796
Mine has arrived and I love it already. Judging it next to the V281 it has opened up the stage and imaging is much better.
I really do not want to write anything shilly but I am going to, I think it is amazing.

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,143 of 1,796
The Oor + Hypsos is great with the 1266 and Sus but the US5 is at another level, in my opinion.

Thanks and I suspected as such. if you were to generalize the changes in performance "at another level" for the following qualities which to you think are better on the O+H vs. US5?
  • Resolution/Details
  • Transient Response
  • Dynamics
  • Tonality
  • Power/Control
  • Stage Size

To generalize feedback from other sources O+H is relatively weaker in Stage Size + Resolution/Details but stronger in Power/Control and Dynamics. Just wondering if you think that relationship holds for the O+H vs. US5 in that perhaps US5 has more resolution and stage size but perhaps not as strong on power and dynamics?

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,145 of 1,796
Dude, Orr is worse on everything vs Niimbus, its not this level.
Yeah, compared to the Oor, the US5 is better at... everything? To be clear: I love the Oor but it's just not the same league as the US5.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,146 of 1,796
Yeah, compared to the Oor, the US5 is better at... everything? To be clear: I love the Oor but it's just not the same league as the US5.
I was hoping to get a bit better clarification on what exactly “at another level” means. hence why I broke out common review characteristics of hp amp performance. Typically there are tradeoffs in performance when it comes to design choices.

So when I get a response that every performance category of US5 is better than Oor it comes across as both vague and perhaps biased. Was hoping as owner of both products assuming you have no bias could help fill in the picture of what both products offer.

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #1,147 of 1,796
Come on guys I am dying to hear some impressions :relaxed:
To those of you using it with your 1266TC what gain setting are you using .
I have read the manual for the US4 and ideally the volume pot should be at 12 o clock to gauge what setting to use , but I am looking for a head start . Hopefully it arrives tomorrow.

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,150 of 1,796
I am at +18 and my volume is comfortable at 12 o’clock with the 1266 TC’s and at about 10:30 with my LCD4’s.
That’s nice and loud I imagine 😀

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,152 of 1,796
Come on guys I am dying to hear some impressions :relaxed:
To those of you using it with your 1266TC what gain setting are you using .
I have read the manual for the US4 and ideally the volume pot should be at 12 o clock to gauge what setting to use , but I am looking for a head start . Hopefully it arrives tomorrow.
Using the Vérité Closed.
If I was to liken it to something else I would say it is like using and OLED after having an LED before it.
I always visualize music and it feels like a very precise image in front of me and around me. I feel like I am being feed music around me at very high speed.
This is creating the image of the recording in my mind very precisely.

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,153 of 1,796
Using the Vérité Closed.
If I was to liken it to something else I would say it is like using and OLED after having an LED before it.
I always visualize music and it feels like a very precise image in front of me and around me. I feel like I am being feed music around me at very high speed.
This is creating the image of the recording in my mind very precisely.
Does it seem like a big step up from your V281 , or is it too early to say?

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,154 of 1,796
JeffMann's impressions are fine. May he find something better to his liking.

I told you guys way back that the "matching game" is different with the Niimbus, not because it's neutral but because it's much more transparent and reactive to gear and cables, tubes. e.g. it made comparing UNISON vs Lynx vs PI2AES easy and it helped me assess what the custom LPS for the Pi2AES did to the Pi2AES without spending too many hours and fueling OCD. In the same vein comparing output tubes on the Sonic Frontiers DAC, e.g. top tubes from Telefunken vs Siemens was a bliss.
Is this instantly a good thing? Yes and no. Yes for what you get once you are set and no if you don't want to waste precious time on this kind of stuff. This stuff can become obsessive and some people don't want to waste their life time and just fire and forget.

And you might remember when I told you about 3 different volumes that were tested for the US amps and one of it didn't reach the same quality?
All of these tiny things matter, volume controls even way more than cables. If you are in for this, you gotta be in for the whole chain.

Anyway, impressions on the Susvara can "even" point down to silver vs copper only.
I use mine with a silver cable and do not find it overly bright or out of balance at all. User Trance Gott dislikes silver cables with his Susvara. All is fine.
See what fits your chain, mix and match until you are confident about it. Don't overly obsess. Just do a bit of homework.
Also streaming source can mather if thats your source. I spent alot of time comparing Tidal vs Apple music. I found Tidal to sound thiner and brighter and less depth maybe a bit cleaner though. And apple to sound a little more closer and bigger and smoother in sound with better timbre/tonality. I dont have MQA on tidal though i use the android app to tidal connect to my streamer. The app says Master but i doubt it, it could be 44. 1khz 16bit. I am not sure it does the first unfold in the app software.

I can relate to the headphone cable also. I used to find HD800S to bright but after cable replacement from OG to Tonekraft cable and some other network tweaks i do not anymore. The OG is silver plated copper i think while the Tonekraft is pure occ copper. I think headphone cable can be the most effective way to lessen brightness.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,155 of 1,796
Does it seem like a big step up from your V281 , or is it too early to say?
A big step up for me personally. I am so glad it is because I love the V281 so much but this is top level stuff I am hearing.
Again with the analogy's, its like a laser etched version of sound using the Niimbus where with the V281 I was listening to the amp.
The V281 has a sound that it puts to every song, that warm gooey sound.
The Niimbus has great bass that is not colored. Everything feels more refined across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back