Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #241 of 1,749
Have to gather a bit more info myself and then I'll create a thread. Also, there is the High End Show in Munich next month where it will be shown.

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #242 of 1,749
Has anyone compared Niimbus and Luxman P-750u amps ? They are in the same price bracket.

May 10, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #244 of 1,749
Hifistatement posted a nice collection of photos from the High End Show. You can also see the DAC US 8+ and one of Fried's pure silver cables.

https://www.hifistatement.net/event/item/2527-high-end-2019-messerundgang-mit-helmut-baumgartner

b_0_0_0_10_images_content_events_19-05-09_highend__MG_1034.jpg

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #245 of 1,749
Jul 8, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #246 of 1,749
Has anyone used the US4+ as a preamp in a speaker based system? If so, please let me know how it's worked for you in that capacity. Thanks!

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #247 of 1,749
Jul 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #248 of 1,749
Has anyone used the US4+ as a preamp in a speaker based system? If so, please let me know how it's worked for you in that capacity. Thanks!

I have, and it does a superb job. The system was a ModWright UDP-205 player, out to the Niimbus, feeding Merrill Audio Thor monoblocks which drive Usher Dancer Mini-One DMD speakers. The modified Oppo can handle volume controls directly but the system sounds quite a bit better with the Niimbus in place. Definitely more resolving at low volumes, and more dynamic/visceral overall.

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #249 of 1,749
I have, and it does a superb job. The system was a ModWright UDP-205 player, out to the Niimbus, feeding Merrill Audio Thor monoblocks which drive Usher Dancer Mini-One DMD speakers. The modified Oppo can handle volume controls directly but the system sounds quite a bit better with the Niimbus in place. Definitely more resolving at low volumes, and more dynamic/visceral overall.

Thank you! I always use a preamp in my speaker based systems even though my Bricasti DAC has a volume control. My experience is that a great preamp adds dynamics and life to a speaker based system. I was asking because my next headphone amp may serve double duty as a preamp in a speaker based system.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #251 of 1,749
I received my US4+ today. It definitely looks much better than the pictures. It looks really nice.

I was hoping someone could answer a few questions.

I currently have a V281 which I have had for a couple of years. I started off by setting the pre gain settings to the same as my V281. I was surprised though that the pre-gain settings are much different than with he V281. I usually play music at about 11:00 on the V281 at -6 pre gain. When I play music on the Niimbus, to get the same approximate volume as there V281 setting I have to be at about 1:00 with a pre gain of +6. Does this sound right? Btw, my DAC has 4 volts output.

I was curious too if the gain setting will affect the sound quality. I'm asking because setting the V281 from -12 to -6 made the amp sound so much better. The soundstage vastly improved.

Are the output gain setting non functional since I'm using only headphones?

What is Pre / Post Fader? Do I need to play with this?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #252 of 1,749
I received my US4+ today. It definitely looks much better than the pictures. It looks really nice.

I was hoping someone could answer a few questions.

I currently have a V281 which I have had for a couple of years. I started off by setting the pre gain settings to the same as my V281. I was surprised though that the pre-gain settings are much different than with he V281. I usually play music at about 11:00 on the V281 at -6 pre gain. When I play music on the Niimbus, to get the same approximate volume as there V281 setting I have to be at about 1:00 with a pre gain of +6. Does this sound right? Btw, my DAC has 4 volts output.

I was curious too if the gain setting will affect the sound quality. I'm asking because setting the V281 from -12 to -6 made the amp sound so much better. The soundstage vastly improved.

Are the output gain setting non functional since I'm using only headphones?

What is Pre / Post Fader? Do I need to play with this?

Thanks!

As an owner of the V281 and US4+, I am not surprised that you have to set the pre-gain higher with the US4+ because it has an amplification gain value of -4db (unbalanced) and +2db (balanced) while the V281 has an amplification gain value of +8db (unbalanced) and +14db (balanced).

I set my US4+'s pre-gain so that the volume control is mainly between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock at my preferred volume listening level. If the volume control is mainly located at less than 10 o'clock, then I decrease the pre-gain, and if the volume control is mainly located at more than 2 o'clock, then I increase the pre-gain. I have not found that there is any significant difference in sound quality if the pre-gain is reasonably set to avoid the two extreme scenarios.

The output gain setting is not used if you only use headphones, and if you do not use the US4+ as a pre-amplifier.

Jeff.

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #253 of 1,749
pre/post fader defines if you want a fixed or variable line output. If you just want a passthrough then choose pre fader. If you want to control the volume of your active speakers or power amp then choose post fader.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #254 of 1,749
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comments.

I am using the Niimbus just as a headphone am only. Not as a preamp. The input is coming from my DAC which has no volume control. Which should I choose for pre/post fader? I want to full output of the DAC and will control the headphone volume with the Niimbus.

Or to put it simpler, I have no idea what pre/post fader is and does. :)

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #255 of 1,749
That configuration only affects the line outputs, if you only use headphones, it is indifferent, better leave it in Post-Fader, for one day you connects it to a power amplifier and you do not want the cat to jump through the window as soon as you press play :beerchug::beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back