Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #1,712 of 1,737
Is there any information on when Niimbus 6 might appear?
If the developers are already working on it, then I would really like to see the following improvements in the new version:
- the ability to select the voltage of the electrical network on the rear panel of the device (without the need to disassemble the amplifier);
- the ability to replace the fuse without disassembling the amplifier (for example, placing the fuse in the inlet);
- placement of gain adjustment on the front panel;
- gain adjustment in a design similar to the balance adjustment knob on the front panel;
- the ability to set the gain from -18 to +30 dB, in steps of 1 dB.
- add another balanced headphone output (XLR) to the front panel;
- each headphone output must have an individual Mute button;
- add another balanced input (XLR) to the rear panel;
- at the maximum position of the volume control, the amplifier should switch to bypass mode (operation circuit, bypassing the volume control);
- add a bypass mode when using the device as a preamplifier;
- add different operating modes of the amplifier, with different levels of feedback (for example, like the Zähl HM1 modes “Class A” and “Class A & Servo”);
- add a switchable timbre block (for example, like the Zähl HM1);
- providing maximum amplifier power (without trimming) for headphones with a resistance of less than 50 ohms;
- add different color indications for the "Status" indicator. The individual color of the indicator should light up when each type of protection is triggered: “DC protect”, “overload”, “overheating”, etc.
Also find a way to eliminate any noise created from relay steps on volume control. (Or at list mitigate almost entirely).

Finally offer more power as the trend for headphones could sway in the direction of requiring more power. This is less important than the volume control change.

I will definitely consider picking up another Niimbus in the future if it has the changes you listed combined with these.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #1,713 of 1,737
Lol too much to wish for. Maybe in Niimbus 10 you will see half of that.
Considering that the story of Niimbus begins in episode 4, it is possible that the next Niimbus will not be episode 6, but episode 10, with the functions we need :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #1,714 of 1,737
Testing :) I will compare Niimbus with T+A HA200. But from brief listening I like Niimbus more than ha200 but it can change through weekend :)
@Qna89 interesting findings: I have heard both HA200 and Niimbus side to side and I definitively preferred HA200, not to mention that volume control works flawlessly on T+A product. Considering features vs price performance the HA200 also has won in my book. Keep us informed please :)

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #1,716 of 1,737
Also find a way to eliminate any noise created from relay steps on volume control. (Or at list mitigate almost entirely).

Finally offer more power as the trend for headphones could sway in the direction of requiring more power. This is less important than the volume control change.

I will definitely consider picking up another Niimbus in the future if it has the changes you listed combined with these.
So realistically (in other words, you’re saying, you’ll never buy a niimbus.

And that’s ok

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #1,717 of 1,737
@Qna89 interesting findings: I have heard both HA200 and Niimbus side to side and I definitively preferred HA200, not to mention that volume control works flawlessly on T+A product. Considering features vs price performance the HA200 also has won in my book. Keep us informed please :)

Long story short I’ve bought Niimbus :) currently I am on holiday so I will write more after my return. Ha200 is great gear but few things made my choose Niimbus Us5 Pro :)

not to mention that volume control works flawlessly on T+A product.

Of course but for me Niimbus volume control works perfectly fine as well :)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #1,719 of 1,737
My first Niimbus US 5 pro volume pot had scratchy noise when turning at some point, but I almost never noticed any noise from the second one that I am owning right now. Maybe they fixed it or I could be lucky. My unit serial# is 121

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #1,720 of 1,737
I've written about this quirk of the volume control on the US 5 Pro model before. Relay-based volume controls tend to make clicking sounds when changing the volume. The sound comes from the relays actuating. I'm not an electronics engineer, but I don't think the sound can be avoided completely. Most amps with a relay-based volume control, such as the Benchmark HPA4, make noise that clearly sounds like clicks. With the volume control in the US 5 Pro, though, the clicks are faster and softer than is typical. It sounds more like the static of a dirty potentiometer, which strikes people negatively. To me it's an acceptable trade off for a higher performing volume control. For those who disagree, Niimbus offers the US 5 (non Pro) model with a traditional potentiometer as an alternative.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #1,721 of 1,737
Is there any information on when Niimbus 6 might appear?
If the developers are already working on it, then I would really like to see the following improvements in the new version:
- the ability to select the voltage of the electrical network on the rear panel of the device (without the need to disassemble the amplifier);
- the ability to replace the fuse without disassembling the amplifier (for example, placing the fuse in the inlet);
- placement of gain adjustment on the front panel;
- gain adjustment in a design similar to the balance adjustment knob on the front panel;
- the ability to set the gain from -18 to +30 dB, in steps of 1 dB.
- add another balanced headphone output (XLR) to the front panel;
- each headphone output must have an individual Mute button;
- add another balanced input (XLR) to the rear panel;
- at the maximum position of the volume control, the amplifier should switch to bypass mode (operation circuit, bypassing the volume control);
- add a bypass mode when using the device as a preamplifier;
- add different operating modes of the amplifier, with different levels of feedback (for example, like the Zähl HM1 modes “Class A” and “Class A & Servo”);
- add a switchable timbre block (for example, like the Zähl HM1);
- providing maximum amplifier power (without trimming) for headphones with a resistance of less than 50 ohms;
- add different color indications for the "Status" indicator. The individual color of the indicator should light up when each type of protection is triggered: “DC protect”, “overload”, “overheating”, etc.
And if they gave you even half of that, you'd then give another 20 list of things, with number 1) being the amp costs too much, 2 being too many buttons on the front, 3 being too complicated to operate.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #1,723 of 1,737
And if they gave you even half of that, you'd then give another 20 list of things, with number
I recently participated in an audio tour where participants listen to a Burson Audio Voyager amplifier in their system. After listening to Voyager, I came up with an even larger list of recommendations for improvement (which were passed on to the manufacturer). It is important to give the manufacturer feedback. What the consumer likes and what he doesn’t. What consumer qualities can increase the value of the device for the user.
If we spend 115 pages discussing the crackling sound of the volume control and nothing else, then Niimbus 6 will never see the light of day.
1) being the amp costs too much,
Meanwhile, Zähl HM1/Wells Headtrip/Mass Kobo 465/SAEQ ARMAGEDDON: "hold my beer!!!"
2 being too many buttons on the front, 3 being too complicated to operate.
I agree with you, this equipment is not for beginners. But in return, you will be rewarded with flexible settings for any headphones, DAC and music preferences.

The options I indicated for Niimbus 6, taken together, are unique. Today there is not a single amplifier that has all the specified functionality at the same time.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #1,724 of 1,737
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #1,725 of 1,737
I've written about this quirk of the volume control on the US 5 Pro model before. Relay-based volume controls tend to make clicking sounds when changing the volume. The sound comes from the relays actuating. I'm not an electronics engineer, but I don't think the sound can be avoided completely. Most amps with a relay-based volume control, such as the Benchmark HPA4, make noise that clearly sounds like clicks. With the volume control in the US 5 Pro, though, the clicks are faster and softer than is typical. It sounds more like the static of a dirty potentiometer, which strikes people negatively. To me it's an acceptable trade off for a higher performing volume control. For those who disagree, Niimbus offers the US 5 (non Pro) model with a traditional potentiometer as an alternative.
Exactly. I don't understand people complaining about weird noise of the volume pot. It’s normal for this technology like it was mentioned thousand of times. It’s like complaining that You bought a sport car with v8 engine and it consume a lot of fuel… it’s even better. Violectric knowing that some of people don’t like a resistor ladder sound have created a non pro version of their top of the line product to better fit customer needs. I don’t get it. You don’t like US 5 pro sound. Go ahead and buy non pro version. It is win-win situation and still people are complaining…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back