Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #1,396 of 1,772
If the consensus is, it's normal, that would be good because I wouldn't have to bother sending it in.
But just to clarify,
When everyone slowly turns the knob - with headphones on - they
- Hear it through the headphones - not just a clicking sound from the knob itself, but it's heard through the headphones.
- It's not just a steady set of clicks but popping sounds are also heard, 4 to 7 or so heard from left to right.
- When music is playing, and the volume control is started from the left - the noise is heard, but as the music comes in (as the knob is turned further right increasing volume), the noise isn't heard so much anymore.

I'm just trying to make sure this is a normal thing - which it sounds like it is according to responses.
To be clear, I love this thing and don't want to send it back for repairs - be without it - that's for sure. Or send it back for something that is normal.

Also I agree with Von Baron - I love the look of it as well

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,398 of 1,772
If the consensus is, it's normal, that would be good because I wouldn't have to bother sending it in.
But just to clarify,
- Hear it through the headphones - not just a clicking sound from the knob itself, but it's heard through the headphones.
- It's not just a steady set of clicks but popping sounds are also heard, 4 to 7 or so heard from left to right.
- When music is playing, and the volume control is started from the left - the noise is heard, but as the music comes in (as the knob is turned further right increasing volume), the noise isn't heard so much anymore.

I'm just trying to make sure this is a normal thing - which it sounds like it is according to responses.
To be clear, I love this thing and don't want to send it back for repairs - be without it - that's for sure. Or send it back for something that is normal.

Everything is fine, i got all of it too.

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,399 of 1,772
Yes, you can hear it through the headphones themselves as naturally by design the signal itself is involved. So as long as it doesn't start to make these sounds when not using the pot or the remote everything's fine.

Unless of course two agents crash through your door fighting backwards in time and invert the entropy of your Niimbus.
That would be the part where I'd call Fried to intervene.

b85b9052f742a406eca0dd18d38b0ac74a4db70a.gifv

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #1,400 of 1,772
Interesting thing, V550/V590 also uses the same reed relay in Pro version but it is more noisy than in Niimbus.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,401 of 1,772
Mine gets noisy after a while because I only use the remote.
I turn the pot by hand up and down fast for about 5 seconds and it clears it for a time.
Something very similar happens to my V281 now and then. I, too, only adjust volume by remote (the unit is not within reach).

If/when those funny little noises happen, I shut off everything, then rotate that big knob all the way right, then all the way left, 2-3X. Problem solved.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,402 of 1,772
Interesting thing, V550/V590 also uses the same reed relay in Pro version but it is more noisy than in Niimbus.
I had the V590 Pro mk2 and can say that they both sound identical in term of clicking when changing the volume. Even the reed relays themselves are identical (Littelfuse) so there is no reason why one would sound less noisy than the other.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,403 of 1,772
Unless of course two agents crash through your door fighting backwards in time and invert the entropy of your Niimbus.
That would be the part where I'd call Fried to intervene.
Except all of a sudden, the telephone has not yet been invented.

"Hitch up the wagon--we're going to Germany!"

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,404 of 1,772
But just to clarify,

No need to send the unit back as all the things you've mentioned are totally normal and is just a small downside of using the reed relay design.

The noise should be heard on headphones and powered speakers from the line out function.

If you ever hear the same noise when the volume knob is not being used then you know you've got a faulty unit that needs repair.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #1,405 of 1,772
Has anyone here had any noise issues with the US5 pro? When I turn the Volume pot - I get crackling sounds. Happens both with music on or off. If anyone here has played guitar - it's sort of like a dirty guitar pot. I did some checking around - and was told to loosen the pot - and pull it away from the faceplate a smidgen, tried that with no luck. Heck I took the knob off completely and turned the pot with my fingers and still heard the crackling sound.

I'm in touch with the dealer I bought it from - and we're working through it, so far it's looking like I'll have to send it in for warranty repair. I assume that pot should be super quiet when I turn it.

The unit still sounds great otherwise, as long as I don't adjust the volume.
I went through this same experience after installing my US 5 Pro. I heard the same soft clicking sound through both the headphone outputs and preamp outputs when turning the volume knob. I had a brief email conversation with Fried Reim at Lake People/Violectric/Niimbus to ask about it. He explained that this behavior is normal for this device and does not indicate any malfunction. Only the relay-based volume control on the Pro models makes this clicking sound, and not the traditional potentiometer used in the non-Pro models. Once the volume is set and you stop turning the knob, there is no clicking sound. Of course, you must decide for yourself if it’s acceptable to you. I chose to keep the amp. I’m really enjoying it.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #1,406 of 1,772
Something very similar happens to my V281 now and then. I, too, only adjust volume by remote (the unit is not within reach).

If/when those funny little noises happen, I shut off everything, then rotate that big knob all the way right, then all the way left, 2-3X. Problem solved.
A small price to pay for the lovely sounding reed relay :)
I have the V281 and I use that trick on that also.
Its an a slight boost in audio level over the norm when you press the volume up or down then it settles. But the volume rotation by hand sorts it for a good while.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #1,407 of 1,772
Except all of a sudden, the telephone has not yet been invented.

"Hitch up the wagon Folksvagen --we're going to Germany!"
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #1,408 of 1,772
As a related aside, I get ‘clicking’ when I turn the volume knob - in either direction - on the LTA MZ3. These are audible outside of and via headphones. No clicks occur when volume is left as is.

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #1,409 of 1,772
As a related aside, I get ‘clicking’ when I turn the volume knob - in either direction - on the LTA MZ3. These are audible outside of and via headphones. No clicks occur when volume is left as is.
Functions of the MBB attenuation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back