Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Mar 27, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #1,696 of 1,729
Order placed...

Is the Niimbus good for playing any kind of music or is this "just a (very) good classical / jazz amp" ?
I'm listening to a wide range of music...
I'm asking because I've red several times in this thread that this will be a very neutral, clean and transparent amp.
I don’t find the Niimbus limiting re what genres of music it suits.
That will come down to your set up and the components’ synergy.
I find my headphone choice changes based on my mood and what i want to hear.
I have the susvaras and utopias (and hd800) and they work well for me as a complementary set.

You may find the same with your niimbus and may not need another solid state amp, at least for some time now. Some do and some don’t - that’s the nature if this subjective hobby.

Ps as a side note, as much as my susvaras are very much tuned to my preferences (timbre, transparency for two things) i did need a complimentary set for something needing more punch, vibrancy, and hence my utopias are that for me

Enjoy your amp!!

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #1,698 of 1,729
Any Niimbus owner who used both, Metrum and HoloAudio and can share how they compare? Anyone use a Cyan 2 with their Niimbus? From their size, they should stack up perfectly…

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,699 of 1,729
Testing :) I will compare Niimbus with T+A HA200. But from brief listening I like Niimbus more than ha200 but it can change through weekend :)

Attachments

• IMG_1326.jpeg
    IMG_1326.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #1,701 of 1,729
Any Niimbus owner who used both, Metrum and HoloAudio and can share how they compare? Anyone use a Cyan 2 with their Niimbus? From their size, they should stack up perfectly…
Went from the metrum hex to the holo may kte.

The hex was the dac below the pavane.

Different musical presentation from the two. Hex was definitely more “analogue” in nature. Softer, rounder. I really enjoyed it, particularly with my woo wa2 amp

I thought the hex had good separation until i heard the may. The may is better in that regard. May comes across more detailed and lively. Does not have the roundness of sound the hex has.

I used to use an audioquest diamond usb cable with the hex at times but with the may it was too energetic/bright so sold that one off.

holo may is more expensive than what the hex was. Sold the hex for about $1400 usd. I’m think it used to sell for about 3.5k or so but that is about 6 or so years ago.

I don’t think i get a lot of soundstage depth using the may, or at least when it was new and i used to “look” for it i did not hear it. It does not bother me though nor does it stand out to me in listening.

Maybe the hex does that when i talk about roundness in sound. Maybe i’m talking about reverb or resonance or softness. I’m not sure how to describe it. I’m thinking of the drum intro to 50 ways to leave your lover.

The hex sound is like an old comfortable used jumper one could have and wear and wrap oneself in to keep warm.

When i read or hear some people say that the may has an anaolgue sound i disagree. I can’t help but think they may be referring to the level 2 that does not have the silver wiring changes the kte has. I have spoken to a couple of other kte owners and they agree.

The hex, and i can guess from what i have read the metrum sound (and sonnet morpheus) definitely does have that. Not sure about the higher sonnet audio dac.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edit: if this also helps, loosely speaking a bit, based on some dacs my local audio store has that i sometimes use, the hex is like a somewhat softer hugo tt2 and the may kte is getting closer to the chord dave in its sound nature. A little less clinical than the dave if someone was to describe the dave as clinical.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #1,702 of 1,729
That would be interesting. Did you feed Niimbus by HA200?
Unfortunetly not… not yet :wink: Will try it.

Both amps are great. Too bad I can’t feed Ha200 with Rme Adi 2 dac section. Not sure from where main differences comes in both presentations, so this comparison will not be 100% valid :frowning2: but I will give brief comparisons with DAC from ha200

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #1,703 of 1,729
Went from the metrum hex to the holo may kte.

The hex was the dac below the pavane.

Different musical presentation from the two. Hex was definitely more “analogue” in nature. Softer, rounder. I really enjoyed it, particularly with my woo wa2 amp

I thought the hex had good separation until i heard the may. The may is better in that regard. May comes across more detailed and lively. Does not have the roundness of sound the hex has.

I used to use an audioquest diamond usb cable with the hex at times but with the may it was too energetic/bright so sold that one off.

holo may is more expensive than what the hex was. Sold the hex for about $1400 usd. I’m think it used to sell for about 3.5k or so but that is about 6 or so years ago.

I don’t think i get a lot of soundstage depth using the may, or at least when it was new and i used to “look” for it i did not hear it. It does not bother me though nor does it stand out to me in listening.

Maybe the hex does that when i talk about roundness in sound. Maybe i’m talking about reverb or resonance or softness. I’m not sure how to describe it. I’m thinking of the drum intro to 50 ways to leave your lover.

The hex sound is like an old comfortable used jumper one could have and wear and wrap oneself in to keep warm.

When i read or hear some people say that the may has an anaolgue sound i disagree. I can’t help but think they may be referring to the level 2 that does not have the silver wiring changes the kte has. I have spoken to a couple of other kte owners and they agree.

The hex, and i can guess from what i have read the metrum sound (and sonnet morpheus) definitely does have that. Not sure about the higher sonnet audio dac.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edit: if this also helps, loosely speaking a bit, based on some dacs my local audio store has that i sometimes use, the hex is like a somewhat softer hugo tt2 and the may kte is getting closer to the chord dave in its sound nature. A little less clinical than the dave if someone was to describe the dave as clinical.
Ps when i bought the may i had no intention to sell the metrum hex.

As i don’t have a second system, ie a second room i ended up selling the hex simply because i was no longer using it all because i so much preferred the holo may. It was not sold out of necessity.

For the price i sold it for the hex was a bargain for those that like that sound (which was me).

These views and preferences are all when using these dacs with the niimbus and susvaras (primarily) so as usual system matching is an element

Enough of my rambling

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #1,704 of 1,729
Unfortunetly not… not yet :wink: Will try it.

Both amps are great. Too bad I can’t feed Ha200 with Rme Adi 2 dac section. Not sure from where main differences comes in both presentations, so this comparison will not be 100% valid :frowning2: but I will give brief comparisons with DAC from ha200
I tried dac200 with Niimbus. It was the best I have heard so far. HA200 would be a cheaper option if they are close.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #1,707 of 1,729
Apr 14, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #1,710 of 1,729
Is there any information on when Niimbus 6 might appear?
If the developers are already working on it, then I would really like to see the following improvements in the new version:
- the ability to select the voltage of the electrical network on the rear panel of the device (without the need to disassemble the amplifier);
- the ability to replace the fuse without disassembling the amplifier (for example, placing the fuse in the inlet);
- placement of gain adjustment on the front panel;
- gain adjustment in a design similar to the balance adjustment knob on the front panel;
- the ability to set the gain from -18 to +30 dB, in steps of 1 dB.
- add another balanced headphone output (XLR) to the front panel;
- each headphone output must have an individual Mute button;
- add another balanced input (XLR) to the rear panel;
- at the maximum position of the volume control, the amplifier should switch to bypass mode (operation circuit, bypassing the volume control);
- add a bypass mode when using the device as a preamplifier;
- add different operating modes of the amplifier, with different levels of feedback (for example, like the Zähl HM1 modes “Class A” and “Class A & Servo”);
- add a switchable timbre block (for example, like the Zähl HM1);
- providing maximum amplifier power (without trimming) for headphones with a resistance of less than 50 ohms;
- add different color indications for the "Status" indicator. The individual color of the indicator should light up when each type of protection is triggered: “DC protect”, “overload”, “overheating”, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back