Nightjar Singularity
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #31 of 217
Hi,

To the folks that own boths sets: between Singularity and Z1R, for Rock and Metal, which one do you find most suited ?
Or maybe some other set below $2k price range ?
I'm not looking to the most detailed set, but one that it's more energetic than my SR8 (that already handles the other part of my library (Jazz, J-pop) pretty well with a more "laid-back" tuning), I'm looking for a nice energetic and fun IEM for rock and metal, hope you guys can help me, maybe Singularity is the one ? Or should I look at other sets ?

Edit: maybe I should consider IE900 too ?
If it's any help I compared my Singularity to Z1R and IE900.

For metal, Singularity is no doubt the pick for me. It may be my favorite iem ever for that purpose because it's so engaging, full sounding and never splashy in the treble registers while keeping mids and presence forward and engaging.

IE900 was sold just last week after a long bout of ownership and loving it, but I promised myself only 1 single DD can stay. Ultimately Singularity does more right than it for me both tonally and by being more musically versatile. IE900 is a bit more incisive and "Technical", but it can be strident and exhibits a metallic timbre which is unforgiving. Singularity has more macrodynamic contrast whereas IE900 fairs a bit better with microdynamics, but for classic rock, rock & metal the Sennies can be just too punishing on the ears.

Z1R is a different comparison and more apples to oranges. It's a special iem no doubt, but again it can be intense for metal and old recordings/ poor masterings - just not as punishing as IE900 in my opinion due to the meatier low end drive.

I really vouch for the Singularity and Z1R - to me they're both must-haves in enthusiasts' collections in 2023 and both classics.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #32 of 217
Have you tried the Singularity with Azla Max Tips?
No, I tried the stock tips and was unhappy. Then I tried the Sedna Xelastec and was happy.

Aug 22, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #33 of 217
If it's any help I compared my Singularity to Z1R and IE900.

For metal, Singularity is no doubt the pick for me. It may be my favorite iem ever for that purpose because it's so engaging, full sounding and never splashy in the treble registers while keeping mids and presence forward and engaging.

IE900 was sold just last week after a long bout of ownership and loving it, but I promised myself only 1 single DD can stay. Ultimately Singularity does more right than it for me both tonally and by being more musically versatile. IE900 is a bit more incisive and "Technical", but it can be strident and exhibits a metallic timbre which is unforgiving. Singularity has more macrodynamic contrast whereas IE900 fairs a bit better with microdynamics, but for classic rock, rock & metal the Sennies can be just too punishing on the ears.

Z1R is a different comparison and more apples to oranges. It's a special iem no doubt, but again it can be intense for metal and old recordings/ poor masterings - just not as punishing as IE900 in my opinion due to the meatier low end drive.

I really vouch for the Singularity and Z1R - to me they're both must-haves in enthusiasts' collections in 2023 and both classics.
Thank you very much !
One last question: what about drivability ?
I wonder if my HiBy R6 Pro II will be able to drive it well.... (383mw 😅)

Aug 23, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #34 of 217
Thank you very much !
One last question: what about drivability ?
I wonder if my HiBy R6 Pro II will be able to drive it well.... (383mw 😅)
R6PROII is more powerful than the output specs would suggest. You can, of course, always scale more, but R6PROII drives Singularity reasonably well for a portable source, so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Aug 30, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #36 of 217
Discovering now my latest blind purchase.

Still very early but 1st impressions are very positives with my RS6

Full sounding but still technical (separation is superb).
From what I remember from my time with IE900 , I'd say they both share same strength (bass, cohesiveness, details) but Singularity is sounding more natural maybe (didn't have the RS6 before).

Cable is great !
Fit is excellent for my small ears also.

Congratulations 👏

Attachments

• IMG_20230830_114049.jpg
    IMG_20230830_114049.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #37 of 217
I've been using the Coreir brass tips on my Singularity for the last week and I'm really liking the pairing. Finally found an iem whose fit is not compromised by this tip and the effect of the brass hollow seems to bring a crispiness to the notes making them hit harder with more authority. I think this works!
20230820_160109.jpg

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #38 of 217
I got Singularity from the classifieds earlier this week and love it. Been experimenting a bit with tips (didn’t get into stock yet). My go to tips are spiral dots++. These work really well if you want that hard hitting bass. With Symbio F foam I get a slightly expanded sound stage, bit more treble clarity and bass is turned down a notch (but still goes down to the depths….).

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #40 of 217
@Chang do you think Singularity will benefit from desktop amp vs my current rs6?
Not talking about kilobucks amp but something like Monolith 887 or Schiit Jot 2 which are quite powerful and quiet with IEMs
I added AK 10 PA to RS6 and the Singularity scales up quite a bit.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #41 of 217
What was supposed to be a 5min listen and went all out. Truly special on Singu :). If you’re into ambient, down tempo…give it a try.

IMG_1023.jpeg

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #42 of 217
Guys, has anyone compared singularity vs dita perpetua. Judging by the graph, singularity has more rumble in bass, more sub bass. I'm interested in comparison in the midrange and high frequency range. How is the music scene? How is the detail? Thanks.
PS: If someone who sells the singularity write in PM, ready to buy in EU.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back